Skip to main content

starfighter- fighter

Submitted by Gibbz on

this is a model im working on atm for the space demo me and my bro are making

wip as u can see the back looking empty atm....

[img]http://mathewstwins.customer.netspace.net.au/wip/fighter.jpg[/img]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 27/07/04 - 7:55 AM Permalink

I love the canopy. It looks like it could be part of a real air vehicle. I reckon the wings need some more detail. Perhaps showing some assembly lines or depressed areas on the surface, although you're probably going to show that through textures. I think the model is a bit too front heavy, it needs some sort of counterbalance at the back. Maybe make those tail fins larger or something. Anyway, it's progressing very nice!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 27/07/04 - 7:57 AM Permalink

looking nice, like souri said a bit front heavy, perhaps create a larger engine housing compartment that fits with the helicopter style cockpit.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 27/07/04 - 10:34 AM Permalink

Looks good, but could you post a wireframe of the model ? I just cant figure out where 7000 poly's / ~14k tri's are.

Submitted by Gibbz on Tue, 27/07/04 - 10:47 PM Permalink
Submitted by Gibbz on Tue, 27/07/04 - 11:03 PM Permalink

damn cant find the edit button
but er i count polys as triangles so

8.7k of triangles is actually correct :) polys is easier to say [:o)]

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 28/07/04 - 6:50 AM Permalink

I really like it. I don?t think it?s front heavy at all. Firstly, it?s a spacecraft (right?), not an aircraft, so it operates in zero gravity and it?s shape has no affect on flight performance. But also, looking underneath the whole model looks more balanced. I get the impression that the tail is just a stabilizer, where the bulk of the crafts weight is where the engine starts ? about dead centre.

Though I do think the poly count is a touch high for the amount of detail. It kind of looks like you could cut down the poly?s without much loss of detail in the rocket launcher things, and the engine intake? But then, it depends on if you need it to perform in real time or not.

Looking good, anyway. [:)]

Submitted by Gibbz on Wed, 28/07/04 - 7:04 AM Permalink

yeah its a space craft :)

its supposed to stress test the engine also. currently we have 20 of them flying around(ai)

so them and the scene makes 310,000 polys all up rendering at 60fps(1280x1024 resolution with v-sync on)makes 18.6million triangles per second through the engine on a radeon 9600XT.

Still engine needs optimiations but of course there wont be that many on the screen at once, well not likely!

Posted by Gibbz on

this is a model im working on atm for the space demo me and my bro are making

wip as u can see the back looking empty atm....

[img]http://mathewstwins.customer.netspace.net.au/wip/fighter.jpg[/img]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 27/07/04 - 7:55 AM Permalink

I love the canopy. It looks like it could be part of a real air vehicle. I reckon the wings need some more detail. Perhaps showing some assembly lines or depressed areas on the surface, although you're probably going to show that through textures. I think the model is a bit too front heavy, it needs some sort of counterbalance at the back. Maybe make those tail fins larger or something. Anyway, it's progressing very nice!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Tue, 27/07/04 - 7:57 AM Permalink

looking nice, like souri said a bit front heavy, perhaps create a larger engine housing compartment that fits with the helicopter style cockpit.

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 27/07/04 - 10:34 AM Permalink

Looks good, but could you post a wireframe of the model ? I just cant figure out where 7000 poly's / ~14k tri's are.

Submitted by Gibbz on Tue, 27/07/04 - 10:47 PM Permalink
Submitted by Gibbz on Tue, 27/07/04 - 11:03 PM Permalink

damn cant find the edit button
but er i count polys as triangles so

8.7k of triangles is actually correct :) polys is easier to say [:o)]

Submitted by palantir on Wed, 28/07/04 - 6:50 AM Permalink

I really like it. I don?t think it?s front heavy at all. Firstly, it?s a spacecraft (right?), not an aircraft, so it operates in zero gravity and it?s shape has no affect on flight performance. But also, looking underneath the whole model looks more balanced. I get the impression that the tail is just a stabilizer, where the bulk of the crafts weight is where the engine starts ? about dead centre.

Though I do think the poly count is a touch high for the amount of detail. It kind of looks like you could cut down the poly?s without much loss of detail in the rocket launcher things, and the engine intake? But then, it depends on if you need it to perform in real time or not.

Looking good, anyway. [:)]

Submitted by Gibbz on Wed, 28/07/04 - 7:04 AM Permalink

yeah its a space craft :)

its supposed to stress test the engine also. currently we have 20 of them flying around(ai)

so them and the scene makes 310,000 polys all up rendering at 60fps(1280x1024 resolution with v-sync on)makes 18.6million triangles per second through the engine on a radeon 9600XT.

Still engine needs optimiations but of course there wont be that many on the screen at once, well not likely!