Skip to main content

Space Opera WIP

Submitted by conundrum on

couldn't resist having a crack at the space opera challenge. decided to enter the 2d section though, as ive been doing a lot of 3d recently and decided i needed to improve my 2d, which isnt great. this is the central character so far, he's a usurper who has just taken control of his solar system by commiting a bloody coup and killing the emperor. the image will be larger than this and show a lot of the kings court who witnessed the fight as well as the body of the emperor. the backround will have more form ( throne, pillars etc) but those are the colours im planning on using. as per usual any comments and crits are welcome
thanks
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/200412220454_Focus-Pic…]

Submitted by 3DArty on Fri, 24/12/04 - 4:02 PM Permalink

Looking good

What is Space Opera Challenge about is 2D and 3D
and dose it have to be linked to some thing to do
with one game of some type I can not say that ive
seen anything to do with Space Opera is it a game?
I dont know. JUST CALL ME OLD [;)]

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 03/01/05 - 3:55 AM Permalink

funny pose for a defeated king! I am pleased to see you have widened the composition though, I felt that the previous one looked more like a character study than a full scene. I'll be interested in seeing how you fill in this composition. Once there is some basic detail roughed in it might be easier to give some useful C&C :)

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 15/01/05 - 2:00 AM Permalink

thanks for the reply john, some significant changes, i havnt been getting much response over at cgtalk, the competition thread moves incredibly fast (34 views in 12 hours). so i was hoping i might get some help over here, once i work on something for a long time i lose sight of whats wrong so any comments would be appreciated

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/2005113225648_Focus-Pi…]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 15/01/05 - 2:12 AM Permalink

Thats coming along nicely now Conundrum - although I think the balance is a bit skewed.
Unless theres something you plan to have going on out over the ocean I think the emphasis should shift slightly toward the defeated king a tad more, as there is alot of vacant space out to the left.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 15/01/05 - 6:05 AM Permalink

im guessing its going to change but at the moment the king really clashes the colour scheme and lighting situation of the background, downing the saturation and brightness may help.

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 15/01/05 - 8:25 AM Permalink

Starting to look like a composition that communicates a story[:)]
Whilst I'm sure you intend the focus to be on the characters on the right, I find my eye focusing on the people (I assume that is what they are) on the distant bluff below. The Sombre colours and soft shapes of the coast are great and really convey a quite/defeated mood - I would hope that you retain that mood in the background as you progress.

I'm not so keen on the King and the techno-architecture in the foreground. Compositionally they are quite seperate from the rest of the image, the circular shapes all redirect your eye the the right hand corner & side. Thematically I think the design would be far more powerful if the King, rather than looking at the viewer, was looking into the scene at the distant people.

hope that helps some[^]

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 16/01/05 - 8:08 AM Permalink

thanks for the replies

hazard- i added in an attacking force to the left, i had planned it but hadnt painted it in yet

moonunit- i was going for some clash, but you were right about it being too much, so i toned him down

johnN- the techno architecture doesnt work very well, but ill lose the space theme otherwise, he probably would be better looking out in the distance but i just dont have the time, 17th is the deadline.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/20051155755_Focus-Pic…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 16/01/05 - 10:39 AM Permalink

thats shaping up really nicely, and i do like the changes you made to the king. keep at it! its really coming together

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 21/01/05 - 2:56 AM Permalink

looks great and good luck! curious, why did you decide to flip it

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 21/01/05 - 5:25 AM Permalink

thanks, for some reason, when i introduced the blue it looked better flipped to me

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 21/01/05 - 5:32 AM Permalink

I think you have been looking at it tooooo long! The background has become too saturated and no longer recedes properly. Flipping the image over to me seems to make little difference to the balance - probably because the area defined by [the figures and architecture] and the area defined by the [shore edge and the cloud bank] are both similar in volume and shape. The two general shapes are almost mirror images of each other and create a rather static composition :(
Hope that's not all sounding too harsh but I think aspects of you 14/01 post are far superior

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 21/01/05 - 8:06 AM Permalink

no problem with the crit john, im sure i have been looking at it too long[:)]. its good to know for the future though, the whole balanced compostion thing haunted me throughout most of my progress. unfortunately its loo late to fix so im stuck with it[:p].

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Fri, 21/01/05 - 11:28 AM Permalink

Nice work Conundrum! I like the flipped version. I like things that veiw left to right. Its just how my eyes read stuff.
Hope you do well in the comp [:D]

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 22/01/05 - 6:59 AM Permalink

thanks anuxi, i'll certainly need the luck judging by the quality of the entries

Posted by conundrum on

couldn't resist having a crack at the space opera challenge. decided to enter the 2d section though, as ive been doing a lot of 3d recently and decided i needed to improve my 2d, which isnt great. this is the central character so far, he's a usurper who has just taken control of his solar system by commiting a bloody coup and killing the emperor. the image will be larger than this and show a lot of the kings court who witnessed the fight as well as the body of the emperor. the backround will have more form ( throne, pillars etc) but those are the colours im planning on using. as per usual any comments and crits are welcome
thanks
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/200412220454_Focus-Pic…]

Submitted by 3DArty on Fri, 24/12/04 - 4:02 PM Permalink

Looking good

What is Space Opera Challenge about is 2D and 3D
and dose it have to be linked to some thing to do
with one game of some type I can not say that ive
seen anything to do with Space Opera is it a game?
I dont know. JUST CALL ME OLD [;)]

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 03/01/05 - 3:55 AM Permalink

funny pose for a defeated king! I am pleased to see you have widened the composition though, I felt that the previous one looked more like a character study than a full scene. I'll be interested in seeing how you fill in this composition. Once there is some basic detail roughed in it might be easier to give some useful C&C :)

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 15/01/05 - 2:00 AM Permalink

thanks for the reply john, some significant changes, i havnt been getting much response over at cgtalk, the competition thread moves incredibly fast (34 views in 12 hours). so i was hoping i might get some help over here, once i work on something for a long time i lose sight of whats wrong so any comments would be appreciated

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/2005113225648_Focus-Pi…]

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 15/01/05 - 2:12 AM Permalink

Thats coming along nicely now Conundrum - although I think the balance is a bit skewed.
Unless theres something you plan to have going on out over the ocean I think the emphasis should shift slightly toward the defeated king a tad more, as there is alot of vacant space out to the left.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 15/01/05 - 6:05 AM Permalink

im guessing its going to change but at the moment the king really clashes the colour scheme and lighting situation of the background, downing the saturation and brightness may help.

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 15/01/05 - 8:25 AM Permalink

Starting to look like a composition that communicates a story[:)]
Whilst I'm sure you intend the focus to be on the characters on the right, I find my eye focusing on the people (I assume that is what they are) on the distant bluff below. The Sombre colours and soft shapes of the coast are great and really convey a quite/defeated mood - I would hope that you retain that mood in the background as you progress.

I'm not so keen on the King and the techno-architecture in the foreground. Compositionally they are quite seperate from the rest of the image, the circular shapes all redirect your eye the the right hand corner & side. Thematically I think the design would be far more powerful if the King, rather than looking at the viewer, was looking into the scene at the distant people.

hope that helps some[^]

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 16/01/05 - 8:08 AM Permalink

thanks for the replies

hazard- i added in an attacking force to the left, i had planned it but hadnt painted it in yet

moonunit- i was going for some clash, but you were right about it being too much, so i toned him down

johnN- the techno architecture doesnt work very well, but ill lose the space theme otherwise, he probably would be better looking out in the distance but i just dont have the time, 17th is the deadline.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/20051155755_Focus-Pic…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 16/01/05 - 10:39 AM Permalink

thats shaping up really nicely, and i do like the changes you made to the king. keep at it! its really coming together

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 21/01/05 - 2:56 AM Permalink

looks great and good luck! curious, why did you decide to flip it

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 21/01/05 - 5:25 AM Permalink

thanks, for some reason, when i introduced the blue it looked better flipped to me

Submitted by Johnn on Fri, 21/01/05 - 5:32 AM Permalink

I think you have been looking at it tooooo long! The background has become too saturated and no longer recedes properly. Flipping the image over to me seems to make little difference to the balance - probably because the area defined by [the figures and architecture] and the area defined by the [shore edge and the cloud bank] are both similar in volume and shape. The two general shapes are almost mirror images of each other and create a rather static composition :(
Hope that's not all sounding too harsh but I think aspects of you 14/01 post are far superior

Submitted by conundrum on Fri, 21/01/05 - 8:06 AM Permalink

no problem with the crit john, im sure i have been looking at it too long[:)]. its good to know for the future though, the whole balanced compostion thing haunted me throughout most of my progress. unfortunately its loo late to fix so im stuck with it[:p].

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Fri, 21/01/05 - 11:28 AM Permalink

Nice work Conundrum! I like the flipped version. I like things that veiw left to right. Its just how my eyes read stuff.
Hope you do well in the comp [:D]

Submitted by conundrum on Sat, 22/01/05 - 6:59 AM Permalink

thanks anuxi, i'll certainly need the luck judging by the quality of the entries