Skip to main content

Tree-man

Submitted by Idaho on

Here is the beginning of a model im working on. He is based loosely on an Ent (lotr). But I am going for a more cartoony style of character. Any crits or ideas?
Concept
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/104_conceptv3.jpg[/img]
Rough model
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/104_treeman.jpg[/img]
And the wire
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/104_treemanwire.jpg[/img]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 24/04/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

are you planning to keep with the dome style foliage or is that going to become the basis for a 2D layout of leaves. (ie itll still be the dome but using the alpha layer, it will be transparent besides where the leaves are, ahhhh you know what i mean).

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 24/04/04 - 5:07 AM Permalink

What are you Technical limits ? is there a concept ?

Submitted by Idaho on Sat, 24/04/04 - 5:31 AM Permalink

MoonUnit, Yeh the greenery will be alpha mapped, basically its just strands of mossy greenery and there will be some sort of fungi all over his forearms and lower legs. The idea being he should end up looking like an ancient forest tree.

HazarD, I have no Technical boundarys this being a personal peice for my folio. However i do like to set myself limits. Therefore I am aiming for a 512 texture square and around 1500-2000 polys in total.

thanks guys! keep the crits coming!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 25/04/04 - 1:33 AM Permalink

ah cool, cause i was gonna say itd look a bit odd as domes. Maybe even make them longer if you want him looking like a old tree (thus his branches have grown a lot)

His mouth isnt very deep, i dont think he needs to have a big gapin hole in his face but when textured it might look a bit flat, but until a textured shot i cant really tell...

the way his wrists are at the moment make him look like hes wearing a long sleeve top. The forearm sort of stops abrubtly and then thins in for the palm of the hand.

and just something funny i noticed, his gut (in wireframe) atm look like a computer mouse :P all he needs is a scroll wheel navel :D

all in all hes a neat character tho, looks pretty bright and happy :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 25/04/04 - 2:18 AM Permalink

Just looking at it - why not make those big domes a fungus type thing ? bigass mushrooms growing outta the top o'his head.

depends on what hes for - i try to establish a background for my characters before just simply building one. i think your able to achieve better results that way.

LOL @ mouse belly!!! he looks like a cheerful ent tho [:)]

Id probably use up a lot more polys adding some more branches or growth sticking out in places etc if youve got more to play with that is.,

Submitted by Idaho on Sun, 25/04/04 - 5:54 AM Permalink

thanks for mentioning the mouse gut, i just spotted a 5 sided poly!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 25/04/04 - 7:35 AM Permalink

nice concept man :) probably should have done that first tho before you started modelling yeah ?!?

in fact i really like that concept - the mushroom / fungus stuff sticking out of his shins looks really cool. good work man ( thumbs up )

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 01/05/04 - 4:51 AM Permalink

lol, he's a happy sort of plant isnt he.

Submitted by palantir on Sat, 01/05/04 - 3:09 PM Permalink

My god, its Treebeard! [:D]
Awesome, you?ve managed to create an original Ent without copying the stuff from the movie. Brilliant! Worthy of Tolkien?s vision. Excellent concept.
You should consider making a matching Entwife. [;)]

?Bhruum, boom, brumm. Don?t be hasty young Shirelings. Now, you haven?t by chance seen any Entwives have you??

Submitted by hobonation on Sun, 02/05/04 - 9:24 PM Permalink

hey thats pretty cool. And yes palantir, an entwife would look wicked beside him. Maybe a couple of entings running around.

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 03/05/04 - 7:00 AM Permalink

how are you going with the texture etc idaho ?

Submitted by Idaho on Tue, 04/05/04 - 9:39 AM Permalink

Sorry guys! I know its been a while between posts, Ive been putting colours on boxes and using radiosity for architects lately (gotta pay rent somehow! I dont make enough on the corner these days)... Anyway hopefully ill have time to adjust the model this week so that it fits the finished concept more closely.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 07/05/04 - 12:59 AM Permalink

show more leg man - that will get business up [;)]

Submitted by TyKeiL on Sat, 08/05/04 - 1:13 AM Permalink

hey nice ent-thing, i think the leafy goodness of the domes should be longer tho,
alsoif you were to make the leafy goodness sort of seperate objects and have then sway when he moves it would give a good effect and give him that little bit more personality,
i like tree's

Submitted by denz on Sat, 08/05/04 - 1:20 AM Permalink

hehe that is one happy looking tree! good work on the concept. With the arms, i get the impression that he is wearing a jumper or shirt of some kind cause the hands are 'inset', I think I like the way you have it in the concept more where they are more of just an extension of the arm.

Posted by Idaho on

Here is the beginning of a model im working on. He is based loosely on an Ent (lotr). But I am going for a more cartoony style of character. Any crits or ideas?
Concept
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/104_conceptv3.jpg[/img]
Rough model
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/104_treeman.jpg[/img]
And the wire
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/104_treemanwire.jpg[/img]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 24/04/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

are you planning to keep with the dome style foliage or is that going to become the basis for a 2D layout of leaves. (ie itll still be the dome but using the alpha layer, it will be transparent besides where the leaves are, ahhhh you know what i mean).

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 24/04/04 - 5:07 AM Permalink

What are you Technical limits ? is there a concept ?

Submitted by Idaho on Sat, 24/04/04 - 5:31 AM Permalink

MoonUnit, Yeh the greenery will be alpha mapped, basically its just strands of mossy greenery and there will be some sort of fungi all over his forearms and lower legs. The idea being he should end up looking like an ancient forest tree.

HazarD, I have no Technical boundarys this being a personal peice for my folio. However i do like to set myself limits. Therefore I am aiming for a 512 texture square and around 1500-2000 polys in total.

thanks guys! keep the crits coming!

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 25/04/04 - 1:33 AM Permalink

ah cool, cause i was gonna say itd look a bit odd as domes. Maybe even make them longer if you want him looking like a old tree (thus his branches have grown a lot)

His mouth isnt very deep, i dont think he needs to have a big gapin hole in his face but when textured it might look a bit flat, but until a textured shot i cant really tell...

the way his wrists are at the moment make him look like hes wearing a long sleeve top. The forearm sort of stops abrubtly and then thins in for the palm of the hand.

and just something funny i noticed, his gut (in wireframe) atm look like a computer mouse :P all he needs is a scroll wheel navel :D

all in all hes a neat character tho, looks pretty bright and happy :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 25/04/04 - 2:18 AM Permalink

Just looking at it - why not make those big domes a fungus type thing ? bigass mushrooms growing outta the top o'his head.

depends on what hes for - i try to establish a background for my characters before just simply building one. i think your able to achieve better results that way.

LOL @ mouse belly!!! he looks like a cheerful ent tho [:)]

Id probably use up a lot more polys adding some more branches or growth sticking out in places etc if youve got more to play with that is.,

Submitted by Idaho on Sun, 25/04/04 - 5:54 AM Permalink

thanks for mentioning the mouse gut, i just spotted a 5 sided poly!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 25/04/04 - 7:35 AM Permalink

nice concept man :) probably should have done that first tho before you started modelling yeah ?!?

in fact i really like that concept - the mushroom / fungus stuff sticking out of his shins looks really cool. good work man ( thumbs up )

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 01/05/04 - 4:51 AM Permalink

lol, he's a happy sort of plant isnt he.

Submitted by palantir on Sat, 01/05/04 - 3:09 PM Permalink

My god, its Treebeard! [:D]
Awesome, you?ve managed to create an original Ent without copying the stuff from the movie. Brilliant! Worthy of Tolkien?s vision. Excellent concept.
You should consider making a matching Entwife. [;)]

?Bhruum, boom, brumm. Don?t be hasty young Shirelings. Now, you haven?t by chance seen any Entwives have you??

Submitted by hobonation on Sun, 02/05/04 - 9:24 PM Permalink

hey thats pretty cool. And yes palantir, an entwife would look wicked beside him. Maybe a couple of entings running around.

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 03/05/04 - 7:00 AM Permalink

how are you going with the texture etc idaho ?

Submitted by Idaho on Tue, 04/05/04 - 9:39 AM Permalink

Sorry guys! I know its been a while between posts, Ive been putting colours on boxes and using radiosity for architects lately (gotta pay rent somehow! I dont make enough on the corner these days)... Anyway hopefully ill have time to adjust the model this week so that it fits the finished concept more closely.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 07/05/04 - 12:59 AM Permalink

show more leg man - that will get business up [;)]

Submitted by TyKeiL on Sat, 08/05/04 - 1:13 AM Permalink

hey nice ent-thing, i think the leafy goodness of the domes should be longer tho,
alsoif you were to make the leafy goodness sort of seperate objects and have then sway when he moves it would give a good effect and give him that little bit more personality,
i like tree's

Submitted by denz on Sat, 08/05/04 - 1:20 AM Permalink

hehe that is one happy looking tree! good work on the concept. With the arms, i get the impression that he is wearing a jumper or shirt of some kind cause the hands are 'inset', I think I like the way you have it in the concept more where they are more of just an extension of the arm.