Skip to main content

Rendering Help

Submitted by Dan Ward on
Forum

Hey again,

Can anyone tell me if its possible (and if so How) to render a screen from Max 5 that renders the edges on your mesh?

i.e. renders both the faces and the wire frame of the model at the same time.

see Pantmongers challenge2 image for an example of what i mean.
Cheers

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 26/03/03 - 7:58 PM Permalink

I don't know if there is a easy way to do this.
1: Copy your model and drop it right on top of your exsiting model, name it something silly like del.

2: Make a material that is white, tick the wireframe box for that material and up the self illumination to 100. Place this material on del.

3: Select all the faces on del and use face extrude to expand them so the white wire model is just bigger then the model under it. (You can quick render whle doing this to see if you have it right.)

Render.

Hope that Helped.
Pantmonger

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 26/03/03 - 8:45 PM Permalink

Ack that sounds like a lot of farting around, thanks for answering though. :)

i take i you dont use max for your modelling then pants?

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 26/03/03 - 8:55 PM Permalink

No, I am a Max user.

Oh and it sounds like more effort then it is, it only takes about 30 sec to do. And if you want to realy optimise you can always store the white 100 luminosity wire texture in the libary for all future models.

Pantmonger

Posted by Dan Ward on
Forum

Hey again,

Can anyone tell me if its possible (and if so How) to render a screen from Max 5 that renders the edges on your mesh?

i.e. renders both the faces and the wire frame of the model at the same time.

see Pantmongers challenge2 image for an example of what i mean.
Cheers

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 26/03/03 - 7:58 PM Permalink

I don't know if there is a easy way to do this.
1: Copy your model and drop it right on top of your exsiting model, name it something silly like del.

2: Make a material that is white, tick the wireframe box for that material and up the self illumination to 100. Place this material on del.

3: Select all the faces on del and use face extrude to expand them so the white wire model is just bigger then the model under it. (You can quick render whle doing this to see if you have it right.)

Render.

Hope that Helped.
Pantmonger

Submitted by Dan Ward on Wed, 26/03/03 - 8:45 PM Permalink

Ack that sounds like a lot of farting around, thanks for answering though. :)

i take i you dont use max for your modelling then pants?

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 26/03/03 - 8:55 PM Permalink

No, I am a Max user.

Oh and it sounds like more effort then it is, it only takes about 30 sec to do. And if you want to realy optimise you can always store the white 100 luminosity wire texture in the libary for all future models.

Pantmonger