Skip to main content

Master and Servant entry

Submitted by conundrum on

thought id once again post the progress of my cg challenge entry, seeing as threads over there drop like anvils. this time im going to try and enter both the 3d and 2d categories. this is my concept for the 3d so far.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/20053251538_Jovial-Mas…]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sat, 26/03/05 - 5:55 AM Permalink

Haha that's classic! [:D]

Although hes hands seem a bit too small compared to his face and feet. Oh and his forearm seems too long and skinny also ;)

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 26/03/05 - 9:35 AM Permalink

I absolutely love this concept. Hes so cheerful, and my thoughts are that anyone who screws with his little folk will suffer some sumo style consequence.

I think this idea will do better than most might think, should you pull of some brilliant painting skills.

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 26/03/05 - 10:21 PM Permalink

ooh! another CG Challange- I really gotta keep an eye on that site.

Good start...potentially great start!- I would be interested in seeing more versions with different master/slave interaction. This scenario could be pushed in so many different directions with great results. it is already more interesting than many of the posts I just browsed in the 2D section (submissive figure A chained to dominant figure B)

keep the posts comming

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 29/03/05 - 9:57 AM Permalink

heh, nice man! good to see something different and not so serious.
Sounds like a fun topic, whens the deadline?

Submitted by Lechy on Sat, 02/04/05 - 8:34 PM Permalink

Looking pretty good so far, I really like the idea. Although animating all those little fellas seems like it would be a pain in the ass (excuse the pun).

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 03/04/05 - 10:54 AM Permalink

thanks for the reply,
the critters shouldnt be too difficult, ill just make a base mesh, rig it then duplicate it and pose them in various positions. a smallish update, still got work to do on the toes (a bit flat) but so far im pretty plaesed with it.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/20054295329_Mesh_Comp_…]

EDIT: sorry about the quality of the wireframe, my attempt to use an ovarlay failed, so there are quite a few missing polys in the mesh

Submitted by ninothe on Sun, 03/04/05 - 1:06 PM Permalink

hey. ive been quietly following this over at cgtalk. i think its awsome
keep it up

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 04/04/05 - 1:00 AM Permalink

argh!! i just let this page load as i was looking at something else, and the first thing i was confronted with when i tabed back was a fat arse!

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 04/04/05 - 7:44 PM Permalink

hehehe, sorry. i like it (not just the arse, the whole artwork). i'm waiting to see the little guys. they're my favorites!

Submitted by Leviron on Thu, 07/04/05 - 10:01 AM Permalink

I think his crack needs some work. He doesn't look like he has a big ass crack as it's too far apart at the top.

I'm just curious about why 3d guys make everything have erect nipples.

Submitted by Sinister on Tue, 12/04/05 - 11:11 AM Permalink

Great work conundrum. I think your fat guy has a lot of characteristics of chubby buddha and I think you'd do well in using him as reference. Don't sweat the little stuff like the butt crack... he has pants on! Also get some reference on how fat guys chins roll, how their breasts sag, and what their feet look like.
A little bit of research goes a long way [B)]

Overall, it's a great concept and is looking good. It's refreshing seeing something out of the cliches. I wish you lots of luck!

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 19/04/05 - 11:05 AM Permalink

sinister: thanks, i havn't checked out any refs from fat people but i do need to.

i forgot to post the progress on the clothes so here it is

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/20054181028_Second_Pha…]

and more reently (tonight) this is some testing while trying to develop a skin shader. i'm using lightwave so i don't have sss but there are some handy plugins aroud. this is my first attempt at a shader so its not great but hopefully with a bit of practice it will develop.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/20054181053_Skin-Test-…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 20/04/05 - 5:19 AM Permalink

ha ha looks cool, that face suits. does look a little sunken in though

Submitted by denz on Sun, 15/05/05 - 7:12 AM Permalink

heh, nice expression.

Submitted by conundrum on Mon, 16/05/05 - 1:39 AM Permalink

wow, its been ages since anyone replied to this thread so i havn't posted any progress. its nearing the end (three or four days left) and i'm way behind schedule but i'm still going to try and finish. this is most of the shading work on the characters completed and i'm about to begin background work. all the rendering and texturing has been done in xsi

[img]http://img138.echo.cx/img138/8151/render65ds.jpg[/img]

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 16/05/05 - 2:10 AM Permalink

Very cool, keep it up. Good luck with the competion as well.

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 21/05/05 - 4:44 AM Permalink

looks great. let us know how you go.

is there a link to a thread with all the entries?

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 21/05/05 - 7:01 AM Permalink

These little guys are deviously planning to carry their master to the tip of the volcano and cast him into the bubbling lava arent they ? I can already see the intent of that little pygmy leading the way - hes evil, pink and waving a stick. [:O]

Their master will arise with a black helmet, digitized voice and a reduced lung capacity forcing him to breath deeply.

Good luck with the entry Conundrum, I like the idea alot. But like you say I think should you given yourself a bit more time on the background, it could have come up alot better.

Posted by conundrum on

thought id once again post the progress of my cg challenge entry, seeing as threads over there drop like anvils. this time im going to try and enter both the 3d and 2d categories. this is my concept for the 3d so far.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/20053251538_Jovial-Mas…]

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Sat, 26/03/05 - 5:55 AM Permalink

Haha that's classic! [:D]

Although hes hands seem a bit too small compared to his face and feet. Oh and his forearm seems too long and skinny also ;)

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 26/03/05 - 9:35 AM Permalink

I absolutely love this concept. Hes so cheerful, and my thoughts are that anyone who screws with his little folk will suffer some sumo style consequence.

I think this idea will do better than most might think, should you pull of some brilliant painting skills.

Submitted by Johnn on Sat, 26/03/05 - 10:21 PM Permalink

ooh! another CG Challange- I really gotta keep an eye on that site.

Good start...potentially great start!- I would be interested in seeing more versions with different master/slave interaction. This scenario could be pushed in so many different directions with great results. it is already more interesting than many of the posts I just browsed in the 2D section (submissive figure A chained to dominant figure B)

keep the posts comming

Submitted by Makk on Tue, 29/03/05 - 9:57 AM Permalink

heh, nice man! good to see something different and not so serious.
Sounds like a fun topic, whens the deadline?

Submitted by Lechy on Sat, 02/04/05 - 8:34 PM Permalink

Looking pretty good so far, I really like the idea. Although animating all those little fellas seems like it would be a pain in the ass (excuse the pun).

Submitted by conundrum on Sun, 03/04/05 - 10:54 AM Permalink

thanks for the reply,
the critters shouldnt be too difficult, ill just make a base mesh, rig it then duplicate it and pose them in various positions. a smallish update, still got work to do on the toes (a bit flat) but so far im pretty plaesed with it.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/20054295329_Mesh_Comp_…]

EDIT: sorry about the quality of the wireframe, my attempt to use an ovarlay failed, so there are quite a few missing polys in the mesh

Submitted by ninothe on Sun, 03/04/05 - 1:06 PM Permalink

hey. ive been quietly following this over at cgtalk. i think its awsome
keep it up

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 04/04/05 - 1:00 AM Permalink

argh!! i just let this page load as i was looking at something else, and the first thing i was confronted with when i tabed back was a fat arse!

Submitted by LiveWire on Mon, 04/04/05 - 7:44 PM Permalink

hehehe, sorry. i like it (not just the arse, the whole artwork). i'm waiting to see the little guys. they're my favorites!

Submitted by Leviron on Thu, 07/04/05 - 10:01 AM Permalink

I think his crack needs some work. He doesn't look like he has a big ass crack as it's too far apart at the top.

I'm just curious about why 3d guys make everything have erect nipples.

Submitted by Sinister on Tue, 12/04/05 - 11:11 AM Permalink

Great work conundrum. I think your fat guy has a lot of characteristics of chubby buddha and I think you'd do well in using him as reference. Don't sweat the little stuff like the butt crack... he has pants on! Also get some reference on how fat guys chins roll, how their breasts sag, and what their feet look like.
A little bit of research goes a long way [B)]

Overall, it's a great concept and is looking good. It's refreshing seeing something out of the cliches. I wish you lots of luck!

Submitted by conundrum on Tue, 19/04/05 - 11:05 AM Permalink

sinister: thanks, i havn't checked out any refs from fat people but i do need to.

i forgot to post the progress on the clothes so here it is

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/20054181028_Second_Pha…]

and more reently (tonight) this is some testing while trying to develop a skin shader. i'm using lightwave so i don't have sss but there are some handy plugins aroud. this is my first attempt at a shader so its not great but hopefully with a bit of practice it will develop.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/conundrum/20054181053_Skin-Test-…]

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 20/04/05 - 5:19 AM Permalink

ha ha looks cool, that face suits. does look a little sunken in though

Submitted by denz on Sun, 15/05/05 - 7:12 AM Permalink

heh, nice expression.

Submitted by conundrum on Mon, 16/05/05 - 1:39 AM Permalink

wow, its been ages since anyone replied to this thread so i havn't posted any progress. its nearing the end (three or four days left) and i'm way behind schedule but i'm still going to try and finish. this is most of the shading work on the characters completed and i'm about to begin background work. all the rendering and texturing has been done in xsi

[img]http://img138.echo.cx/img138/8151/render65ds.jpg[/img]

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 16/05/05 - 2:10 AM Permalink

Very cool, keep it up. Good luck with the competion as well.

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 21/05/05 - 4:44 AM Permalink

looks great. let us know how you go.

is there a link to a thread with all the entries?

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 21/05/05 - 7:01 AM Permalink

These little guys are deviously planning to carry their master to the tip of the volcano and cast him into the bubbling lava arent they ? I can already see the intent of that little pygmy leading the way - hes evil, pink and waving a stick. [:O]

Their master will arise with a black helmet, digitized voice and a reduced lung capacity forcing him to breath deeply.

Good luck with the entry Conundrum, I like the idea alot. But like you say I think should you given yourself a bit more time on the background, it could have come up alot better.