Skip to main content

Race Concept Art

Submitted by Angel on

Hello people :)

I've worked on designing a few races for a game, and here's some of the finished concepts:

http://bluepeakservices.com/Races.html

And I didn't draw these, I just designed them. My artist's name is Wade.

I'd appreciate any input regarding either the design aspect of the creatures, and/or the actual artwork itself.

(Note: I know that some of the concepts may look like elves.. they are designed intentionally to resemble them.)

P.S. My personal favorite are the Sireon water people.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 29/04/04 - 12:11 AM Permalink

These are good, I like the designs. Not that original, but not much is these days. The cendagan male and the sireon race are my fav. The female and male both go together well (Each one looks like its the female/male of that race).
The paintings themselves are pretty well done. Not really my style, but to each his own. The poses work well and the backgrounds are done well so they support the focal point (the characters) and dont dominate. All thats left to say is keep practicing and you will get better and better :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 29/04/04 - 2:42 AM Permalink

Those are awesome. The Sireons remind me of HaZards Aquanox. They are great ideas to. I could really see them in a fantasy game Esp. RTS games. That would be nuts, I love Warcraft.

Oh and my favourite was the Fulven Male :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 29/04/04 - 4:52 AM Permalink

They look really good angel :) cept to me the style fits more promotional than concepts, ie some would require extra definition to model off etc etc.

The Fulvens look exactly like the mook race off wizardry - but like makk said - alot of work these days is not going to be original :)

I have a question - if you didnt draw the characters - how much creative control did you have over the design / ie did you write a big long description ? give sketches of your own to your artist ? just curious :)

Submitted by Angel on Thu, 29/04/04 - 9:08 PM Permalink

Thanks for your feedback :)

With exception to the Sireon, all races started with a human build, then were adapted to suit individual environments within the game.

Note: I have no idea what mook's and HaZaards are (*googles*).

To answer your question, I'll briefly describe the process we went through:

First, I created the races according to the needs of our game.. Yes, I wrote a description for each doing my best to paint pictures with words. I couldn't give my own sketches because my scanner is down, and Wade and I work on the same wave length anyway, so there wasn't really a need to. For the Sireon, I did provide pictures of sea creatures, described what features I wanted to adapt, etc.

Then Wade would draw a basic outline sketch, I'd review it, he'd add in details, I'd review it again, then he'd color. Sometimes I'd make changes, sometime's he'd suggest a few of his own. Most of the credit for this work goes to Wade, and he's been invaluable as support and as a friend. We're just both looking to improve.

I have a question - if you didnt draw the characters - how much creative control did you have over the design / ie did you write a big long description ? give sketches of your own to your artist ? just curious :)

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Fri, 30/04/04 - 1:22 AM Permalink

Hahaha! HazarD's been Googled! What an honour, take a bow my friend...

Angel, Bullet was refering to HazarD's Sumea modeller challenge entry, check it out on the relevant thread.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 30/04/04 - 1:34 AM Permalink

rofl!! sorry angel, im hazard and my model was called Aquanox, it had a similar theme to your sireons :)

but it sounds like you 2 are doing a good job - look forward to seeing more, my fiancee says wade your artist has a similar style to hers and would like to see more of his stuff :)

Submitted by Angel on Sat, 01/05/04 - 12:28 AM Permalink

lmao.. didn't realize, soz Hazard. And I just checked out your aquanox art, and it's all so very awesome! You know, I'd love to see another artist's version of my designs if anyone's ever interested.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

~Jade

Posted by Angel on

Hello people :)

I've worked on designing a few races for a game, and here's some of the finished concepts:

http://bluepeakservices.com/Races.html

And I didn't draw these, I just designed them. My artist's name is Wade.

I'd appreciate any input regarding either the design aspect of the creatures, and/or the actual artwork itself.

(Note: I know that some of the concepts may look like elves.. they are designed intentionally to resemble them.)

P.S. My personal favorite are the Sireon water people.

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 29/04/04 - 12:11 AM Permalink

These are good, I like the designs. Not that original, but not much is these days. The cendagan male and the sireon race are my fav. The female and male both go together well (Each one looks like its the female/male of that race).
The paintings themselves are pretty well done. Not really my style, but to each his own. The poses work well and the backgrounds are done well so they support the focal point (the characters) and dont dominate. All thats left to say is keep practicing and you will get better and better :)

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 29/04/04 - 2:42 AM Permalink

Those are awesome. The Sireons remind me of HaZards Aquanox. They are great ideas to. I could really see them in a fantasy game Esp. RTS games. That would be nuts, I love Warcraft.

Oh and my favourite was the Fulven Male :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 29/04/04 - 4:52 AM Permalink

They look really good angel :) cept to me the style fits more promotional than concepts, ie some would require extra definition to model off etc etc.

The Fulvens look exactly like the mook race off wizardry - but like makk said - alot of work these days is not going to be original :)

Submitted by Angel on Thu, 29/04/04 - 9:08 PM Permalink

Thanks for your feedback :)

With exception to the Sireon, all races started with a human build, then were adapted to suit individual environments within the game.

Note: I have no idea what mook's and HaZaards are (*googles*).

To answer your question, I'll briefly describe the process we went through:

First, I created the races according to the needs of our game.. Yes, I wrote a description for each doing my best to paint pictures with words. I couldn't give my own sketches because my scanner is down, and Wade and I work on the same wave length anyway, so there wasn't really a need to. For the Sireon, I did provide pictures of sea creatures, described what features I wanted to adapt, etc.

Then Wade would draw a basic outline sketch, I'd review it, he'd add in details, I'd review it again, then he'd color. Sometimes I'd make changes, sometime's he'd suggest a few of his own. Most of the credit for this work goes to Wade, and he's been invaluable as support and as a friend. We're just both looking to improve.

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Fri, 30/04/04 - 1:22 AM Permalink

Hahaha! HazarD's been Googled! What an honour, take a bow my friend...

Angel, Bullet was refering to HazarD's Sumea modeller challenge entry, check it out on the relevant thread.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 30/04/04 - 1:34 AM Permalink

rofl!! sorry angel, im hazard and my model was called Aquanox, it had a similar theme to your sireons :)

but it sounds like you 2 are doing a good job - look forward to seeing more, my fiancee says wade your artist has a similar style to hers and would like to see more of his stuff :)

Submitted by Angel on Sat, 01/05/04 - 12:28 AM Permalink

lmao.. didn't realize, soz Hazard. And I just checked out your aquanox art, and it's all so very awesome! You know, I'd love to see another artist's version of my designs if anyone's ever interested.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice and encouragement!

~Jade