Skip to main content

Tiberius - UT2004 character

Submitted by LiveWire on

I'm pretty happy how this guy turned out, though it took me longer than ususal, and i had a momentus amount of trouble importing him into UT, but it all worked in the end.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_tiberius1L.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_tiberius2L.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_tiberiusmapsL.jpg[/img]

the original textures were 1024*1024, same as the unreal ones, next time i intend to do something a little smaller - 512 or 256 or something.

he can be dowloaded for UT2004 from here if anyone wants it:

[url]www.game-tips.co.uk/hosted/tiberius.zip[/url]

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 29/05/04 - 1:52 AM Permalink

ahhh dagnamit no matter what place i go to host pics i can never find one that works. anyone know what i've done wrong????

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 29/05/04 - 1:53 AM Permalink

Tight mesh man! well done, sweet polyflow and distribution. I noticed that your profile says " i wouldnt consider myself a texture artist" well thats a damn fine job considering man, full marks!

no crits from me. i think it will fit UT perfectly!

Re the pics : they all work good for me [?]

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 29/05/04 - 1:54 AM Permalink

what? so the pics showed up? theuyr're not working for me!

as for the texture artist bit, i guess i've improved a fair bit in the last year, but that still took me a fair while to complete, so i'll call myself a texture artist once i can do it to a better standard and in a reasonable timeframe.

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 29/05/04 - 4:11 AM Permalink

figures, that makes geocities and tripod useless for forum linking now. sooner or latter i've got to come accross onethat works.

Submitted by denz on Sat, 29/05/04 - 4:21 AM Permalink

Looks topnotch livewire [:)] definately UT feel. The boots r my fave part.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 29/05/04 - 4:31 AM Permalink

Livewire, you've got a Sumea profile account.. You're free to upload images on Sumea for show in the exhibition area of the forum too. Just remember that the images you upload have your member id added to the filename.. so if your member id is 343 and you uploaded man.jpg, you'll find it at http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_man.jpg

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 29/05/04 - 4:37 AM Permalink

hey man awesome work, thats the one of the best appropriations of a theme into the UT universe ive seen. Plus your textures are awesome, good luck with the nvidia comp!

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 29/05/04 - 6:05 AM Permalink

Thanks Souri i was wondering about that! I'll remeber that from now on. I'l still have to figure out sothig to do about other websites, but at least that's this one sorted!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 29/05/04 - 11:53 AM Permalink

i have to say i love the little bald spot in the middle of his head. a nice roman touch. [:D]

Submitted by Rahnem on Sat, 29/05/04 - 9:03 PM Permalink

This mesh is tight. Good stuff [8D]

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 30/05/04 - 6:47 AM Permalink

That's nice, just one question, i'm trying to learn unwrapping myself, do you use max and is so, do you use a series of planar projections for unwrapping.

Submitted by LiveWire on Sun, 30/05/04 - 8:16 AM Permalink

i apply the uvw unwrap modifyer, open it up, and move everything out of the way. i then go about selecting the faces i want and hitting ENTER to planar map them, like front, sides, and top for the head, then then stich them together. then move them outofthe way and move onto another part.

i find this way quicker, as if you go applying cylindrical or whatever unwraps on everyhing (which takes ages) and then go into the UVW unwrap and tweek it all, it takes so much longer cos you need to adjust it so much anyway.

other people will likely have other ways

Submitted by Leviron on Mon, 31/05/04 - 11:59 PM Permalink

Now I know why you were so mad at qantm forums when I said your avatar was scarier than Berg's avrilberg avatar. Sorry but he is scarier...because avrilberg is meant to be funny.

Nice work though. I can never draw textures like you.

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 01/06/04 - 6:36 AM Permalink

mad? nah. i only get mad at computers, not people.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 02/06/04 - 7:02 AM Permalink

Good work.
Though I think some of the gold trimmings and the flesh could use some more working on. His eyes look a little too bright (too much white).
Nice model and design though :)

Posted by LiveWire on

I'm pretty happy how this guy turned out, though it took me longer than ususal, and i had a momentus amount of trouble importing him into UT, but it all worked in the end.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_tiberius1L.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_tiberius2L.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_tiberiusmapsL.jpg[/img]

the original textures were 1024*1024, same as the unreal ones, next time i intend to do something a little smaller - 512 or 256 or something.

he can be dowloaded for UT2004 from here if anyone wants it:

[url]www.game-tips.co.uk/hosted/tiberius.zip[/url]

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 29/05/04 - 1:52 AM Permalink

ahhh dagnamit no matter what place i go to host pics i can never find one that works. anyone know what i've done wrong????

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 29/05/04 - 1:53 AM Permalink

Tight mesh man! well done, sweet polyflow and distribution. I noticed that your profile says " i wouldnt consider myself a texture artist" well thats a damn fine job considering man, full marks!

no crits from me. i think it will fit UT perfectly!

Re the pics : they all work good for me [?]

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 29/05/04 - 1:54 AM Permalink

what? so the pics showed up? theuyr're not working for me!

as for the texture artist bit, i guess i've improved a fair bit in the last year, but that still took me a fair while to complete, so i'll call myself a texture artist once i can do it to a better standard and in a reasonable timeframe.

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 29/05/04 - 4:11 AM Permalink

figures, that makes geocities and tripod useless for forum linking now. sooner or latter i've got to come accross onethat works.

Submitted by denz on Sat, 29/05/04 - 4:21 AM Permalink

Looks topnotch livewire [:)] definately UT feel. The boots r my fave part.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 29/05/04 - 4:31 AM Permalink

Livewire, you've got a Sumea profile account.. You're free to upload images on Sumea for show in the exhibition area of the forum too. Just remember that the images you upload have your member id added to the filename.. so if your member id is 343 and you uploaded man.jpg, you'll find it at http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/343_man.jpg

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 29/05/04 - 4:37 AM Permalink

hey man awesome work, thats the one of the best appropriations of a theme into the UT universe ive seen. Plus your textures are awesome, good luck with the nvidia comp!

Submitted by LiveWire on Sat, 29/05/04 - 6:05 AM Permalink

Thanks Souri i was wondering about that! I'll remeber that from now on. I'l still have to figure out sothig to do about other websites, but at least that's this one sorted!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 29/05/04 - 11:53 AM Permalink

i have to say i love the little bald spot in the middle of his head. a nice roman touch. [:D]

Submitted by Rahnem on Sat, 29/05/04 - 9:03 PM Permalink

This mesh is tight. Good stuff [8D]

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 30/05/04 - 6:47 AM Permalink

That's nice, just one question, i'm trying to learn unwrapping myself, do you use max and is so, do you use a series of planar projections for unwrapping.

Submitted by LiveWire on Sun, 30/05/04 - 8:16 AM Permalink

i apply the uvw unwrap modifyer, open it up, and move everything out of the way. i then go about selecting the faces i want and hitting ENTER to planar map them, like front, sides, and top for the head, then then stich them together. then move them outofthe way and move onto another part.

i find this way quicker, as if you go applying cylindrical or whatever unwraps on everyhing (which takes ages) and then go into the UVW unwrap and tweek it all, it takes so much longer cos you need to adjust it so much anyway.

other people will likely have other ways

Submitted by Leviron on Mon, 31/05/04 - 11:59 PM Permalink

Now I know why you were so mad at qantm forums when I said your avatar was scarier than Berg's avrilberg avatar. Sorry but he is scarier...because avrilberg is meant to be funny.

Nice work though. I can never draw textures like you.

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 01/06/04 - 6:36 AM Permalink

mad? nah. i only get mad at computers, not people.

Submitted by Makk on Wed, 02/06/04 - 7:02 AM Permalink

Good work.
Though I think some of the gold trimmings and the flesh could use some more working on. His eyes look a little too bright (too much white).
Nice model and design though :)