Skip to main content

Quake 4 pics

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum
Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 30/09/04 - 10:31 AM Permalink

oh boy its uhh... pretty much the same lookin as doom 3
or that could be just me

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 30/09/04 - 5:56 PM Permalink

Yeeaaahh!, man it looks cool, i'm realy cant wait for this one even though i know i'll be doin it for ages.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 30/09/04 - 7:43 PM Permalink

That looks pretty cool. Though I?m starting to loose my enthusiasm for all things next gen. Like Moony said, all these new games look pretty much the same as each other ? which is great and everything, but I?m just saying the wow factor can only last so long.

And as Souri pointed out in the unreal thread, all this detail in the character models won?t really be appreciated when your zipping around trying to frag or be fraged :P

I wonder what the mod situation will be like with Quake 4?

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 30/09/04 - 10:58 PM Permalink

Ahh, thats a shame...

hehe actually it looks alright, nothing spectacular though

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 01/10/04 - 10:01 AM Permalink

Eh, space marine fighting half organic half machine monsters running the Doom 3 engine, wasn't really expecting anything different visually. Hopefully this one opens up a little more on the claustrophobic interiors of Doom 3. Still it might be alright. I'm assuming they are continuing on from the Quake 2 storyline with the stroggs or whatever they were called?

I'm sure I'll play it but I'm not expecting anything revolutionary.

Submitted by Mick1460 on Mon, 04/10/04 - 1:31 PM Permalink

Well, vehicles would be a cool thing, but I agree in the fact that most next-gen games dont really push the barrier that far. I mean, sure, Doom 3 looked great, but I dont think that it really lived up to all the hype that was around it. Try and think of Doom 3 without the "DOOM" label, as if it were another game - not a sequal. Would it of been as big???

Mick Gordon
Audio Engineer
www.LavaInjection.com

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Tue, 05/10/04 - 4:01 AM Permalink

They look good, but where the hell is the colour? its so bland, even doom3 wasnt as bad as that.
Hopefully raven will include their trade mark ultra gore.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 05/10/04 - 4:38 PM Permalink

When somebody posted the leaked concept art ages ago on here, I had a glimpse before taking the link down. It had some character concepts and some interesting level designs. It looked *awesome*.

These screenshots (from a magazine) are a bit of a let down. They're mainly of your typical player/enemy in bog-standard corridor shot which you've seen a million times in Doom3. There is one outdoor scene which looks nice, but I'm sure they're hiding the best till later.

As much as I love sci-fi, it would be great to see the Doom3 engine doing something other than space marines in metal-corridors [;)] The level editing community for Doom3 hasn't really exploded with creative content just yet..

Submitted by Morphine on Wed, 06/10/04 - 6:31 PM Permalink

To me, this looks just like doom3, but with probable multiplayer goodness. Hopefully Raven won't make quake 4 look as dark as doom3 was, damn flashlight (why didn't they think of incorporating it into the suit?) ....

I also wouldn't mind seeing more outdoor arenas in the screenies, I hope we won't be battling in rooms again, jeezz ..

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 07/10/04 - 1:31 AM Permalink

Doom3 and quake 4 are sharing assets as far as I know, simple things like barrels and crates among other things, supposedly it was to save a bit of time to just re-use stuff. I cant remember where I read this unfortunately.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 07/10/04 - 10:10 PM Permalink

Cripes... id's next game is using some Doom3 assets as well. Let's hope it all doesn't look the same. [?]

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 11/10/04 - 6:18 AM Permalink

Surely they would get rid of the UAC stuff off the crates and barrels first though [:p].

I cant wait for Quake 4. Because this time it looks like we actually get to fight along side with other marines instead of them always dieing before you meet them (Doom III, cough).

Posted by souri on
Forum

Submitted by MoonUnit on Thu, 30/09/04 - 10:31 AM Permalink

oh boy its uhh... pretty much the same lookin as doom 3
or that could be just me

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 30/09/04 - 5:56 PM Permalink

Yeeaaahh!, man it looks cool, i'm realy cant wait for this one even though i know i'll be doin it for ages.

Submitted by palantir on Thu, 30/09/04 - 7:43 PM Permalink

That looks pretty cool. Though I?m starting to loose my enthusiasm for all things next gen. Like Moony said, all these new games look pretty much the same as each other ? which is great and everything, but I?m just saying the wow factor can only last so long.

And as Souri pointed out in the unreal thread, all this detail in the character models won?t really be appreciated when your zipping around trying to frag or be fraged :P

I wonder what the mod situation will be like with Quake 4?

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 30/09/04 - 10:58 PM Permalink

Ahh, thats a shame...

hehe actually it looks alright, nothing spectacular though

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 01/10/04 - 10:01 AM Permalink

Eh, space marine fighting half organic half machine monsters running the Doom 3 engine, wasn't really expecting anything different visually. Hopefully this one opens up a little more on the claustrophobic interiors of Doom 3. Still it might be alright. I'm assuming they are continuing on from the Quake 2 storyline with the stroggs or whatever they were called?

I'm sure I'll play it but I'm not expecting anything revolutionary.

Submitted by Mick1460 on Mon, 04/10/04 - 1:31 PM Permalink

Well, vehicles would be a cool thing, but I agree in the fact that most next-gen games dont really push the barrier that far. I mean, sure, Doom 3 looked great, but I dont think that it really lived up to all the hype that was around it. Try and think of Doom 3 without the "DOOM" label, as if it were another game - not a sequal. Would it of been as big???

Mick Gordon
Audio Engineer
www.LavaInjection.com

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Tue, 05/10/04 - 4:01 AM Permalink

They look good, but where the hell is the colour? its so bland, even doom3 wasnt as bad as that.
Hopefully raven will include their trade mark ultra gore.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 05/10/04 - 4:38 PM Permalink

When somebody posted the leaked concept art ages ago on here, I had a glimpse before taking the link down. It had some character concepts and some interesting level designs. It looked *awesome*.

These screenshots (from a magazine) are a bit of a let down. They're mainly of your typical player/enemy in bog-standard corridor shot which you've seen a million times in Doom3. There is one outdoor scene which looks nice, but I'm sure they're hiding the best till later.

As much as I love sci-fi, it would be great to see the Doom3 engine doing something other than space marines in metal-corridors [;)] The level editing community for Doom3 hasn't really exploded with creative content just yet..

Submitted by Morphine on Wed, 06/10/04 - 6:31 PM Permalink

To me, this looks just like doom3, but with probable multiplayer goodness. Hopefully Raven won't make quake 4 look as dark as doom3 was, damn flashlight (why didn't they think of incorporating it into the suit?) ....

I also wouldn't mind seeing more outdoor arenas in the screenies, I hope we won't be battling in rooms again, jeezz ..

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Thu, 07/10/04 - 1:31 AM Permalink

Doom3 and quake 4 are sharing assets as far as I know, simple things like barrels and crates among other things, supposedly it was to save a bit of time to just re-use stuff. I cant remember where I read this unfortunately.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 07/10/04 - 10:10 PM Permalink

Cripes... id's next game is using some Doom3 assets as well. Let's hope it all doesn't look the same. [?]

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 11/10/04 - 6:18 AM Permalink

Surely they would get rid of the UAC stuff off the crates and barrels first though [:p].

I cant wait for Quake 4. Because this time it looks like we actually get to fight along side with other marines instead of them always dieing before you meet them (Doom III, cough).