Skip to main content

Vehicle design

• I don't seem to keep my journal very up-to-date with what I am producing. So it's high time to do a bit of an update... and here it is!

some sketchbook environments in pen, a second GTA style illustration just to prove the first wasn't a…

• This piece has been created to display (and practice) alternate styles / techniques.. In the style of Rockstars game - Grand Theft Auto. Created using Photoshop and Freehand.

• whilst waiting for the next quick 2d activity I though I would 'doodle' a face in a few spare hours. Things got a little out of hand and a more or less finished painting have been the result.

Created in Painter with a little Photohshop and…

• Seems a while since I've posted any 2d work! This little painting is a revisited character concept that I originally did as a model sheet excercise (it's was posted here some time back).

Created in Photoshop :)

• A revisited personal project. The original project was a set of different air/space craft finished to a pen and marker stage.

This piece was created entirely in photoshop.

• finally managed to get some thing done to post to the mod concept art thread!

• Refining the processes of creating a character concept and model sheet. all tone and colour added in Photoshop. Initial drawing were pencil on paper.

• I have finally invested in a tablet :) and this as the first more-or-less finished painting. Created with 'Corel Painter Essentials' and some minor photoshop work too.

• Finally recharged the markers and got around to doing some sketching again! These images are sketched by hand and coloured in P'shop.

• Well... this is my final painting for the current 'quick activity'. Painted in Photoshop. see thread for more details on process etc.

Submitted by Johnn on

My latest tinkering... or should I say procrastination for finishing the current quick activity :P

Just for a change I've followed the initial concept through to a technical style diagram, and yes, the figure that has been included to indicate scale is me!

(Concerningly, folk who know me would instantly identify me from that outline[:0])

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_Light_ArmourL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 09/07/04 - 6:58 PM Permalink

Very nice indeed, is it some kind of tank or APC?

and yeah i could tell the figure was you as well, i've never met you :P

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 09/07/04 - 9:06 PM Permalink

cool looking vehicle you have there :) what program did you use to make the top images (coloured ones).

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 09/07/04 - 11:16 PM Permalink

I like it, a little more detail would be cool. Not sure what.

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 12/07/04 - 9:24 AM Permalink

Yeah, an APC/light armour sort of thing. Although I didn't get around to adding doors/hatches for troops to get in and out... I mean they are on the other side :P

I've added a little more detail since posting - rivets and more detail in the track area. I think I might fancy up the cannon barrels and add some stencil style markings. Hopefully it will look more finished off then.

the diagram style pics were done with Freehand (camo paint job was created in Photoshop). Makes for a very clean finish.

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 12/07/04 - 10:33 AM Permalink

Man that marker rendering is rockin.
You make it look to easy

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 14/07/04 - 8:05 AM Permalink

Thanks Makk. If you look closely they are a bit patchy in spots, my markers are running out...again! Was going to do a tank track detail as pen and marker but ended up converting the pencil sketch into another vector illust (in Freehand again). Wish I could draw line work that neat by hand [:P]The extra little details on the front + side view have made the diagrams more finished I think...at any rate I've run out of ideas for more finishing details.

The images are setout nice and orderly because it is becoming a page for my current illustration portfolio.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_Light_Armour2L.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Stu on Wed, 14/07/04 - 11:42 PM Permalink

He John those concepts are awesome. Would you mind if I tried converting them to 3d? You'd get full credit for the design of course.

Stu

Posted by Johnn on

My latest tinkering... or should I say procrastination for finishing the current quick activity :P

Just for a change I've followed the initial concept through to a technical style diagram, and yes, the figure that has been included to indicate scale is me!

(Concerningly, folk who know me would instantly identify me from that outline[:0])

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_Light_ArmourL.jpg[/img]

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 09/07/04 - 6:58 PM Permalink

Very nice indeed, is it some kind of tank or APC?

and yeah i could tell the figure was you as well, i've never met you :P

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 09/07/04 - 9:06 PM Permalink

cool looking vehicle you have there :) what program did you use to make the top images (coloured ones).

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 09/07/04 - 11:16 PM Permalink

I like it, a little more detail would be cool. Not sure what.

Submitted by Johnn on Mon, 12/07/04 - 9:24 AM Permalink

Yeah, an APC/light armour sort of thing. Although I didn't get around to adding doors/hatches for troops to get in and out... I mean they are on the other side :P

I've added a little more detail since posting - rivets and more detail in the track area. I think I might fancy up the cannon barrels and add some stencil style markings. Hopefully it will look more finished off then.

the diagram style pics were done with Freehand (camo paint job was created in Photoshop). Makes for a very clean finish.

Submitted by Makk on Mon, 12/07/04 - 10:33 AM Permalink

Man that marker rendering is rockin.
You make it look to easy

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 14/07/04 - 8:05 AM Permalink

Thanks Makk. If you look closely they are a bit patchy in spots, my markers are running out...again! Was going to do a tank track detail as pen and marker but ended up converting the pencil sketch into another vector illust (in Freehand again). Wish I could draw line work that neat by hand [:P]The extra little details on the front + side view have made the diagrams more finished I think...at any rate I've run out of ideas for more finishing details.

The images are setout nice and orderly because it is becoming a page for my current illustration portfolio.

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/258_Light_Armour2L.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Stu on Wed, 14/07/04 - 11:42 PM Permalink

He John those concepts are awesome. Would you mind if I tried converting them to 3d? You'd get full credit for the design of course.

Stu