Skip to main content

Zbrush test

Submitted by Doord on

I was asked by the boss to look into ZBrush for use in hi-res character modelling for normal mapping characters. So don't expect anything to amazing because it was just a test and my first model just working out the tools really. I Have started a new model to test the art pipe line for making a character for next gen games from start to finish so look forward to me showing off more then.

http://www.geocities.com/brendandoord/

Download "Zbrush_Test.avi"

This took around 2 working days to make, I was also still leaning the tools as I was making the character.

Zbrush rocks.

Submitted by denz on Wed, 19/05/04 - 8:45 PM Permalink

gday, looks really nice mate [:D]. Looking forward to ur art pipe line test. I'm looking at learning normal maps myself.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 20/05/04 - 3:51 AM Permalink

I'm with you Doord, Z Brush is great. Now if only ZBrush 3 would have decent interfaces and navigation tools. [:)]
Nice job by the way.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 20/05/04 - 4:23 AM Permalink

zbrush 2 interface is pretty straight forward.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 20/05/04 - 4:29 AM Permalink

love the web site, the animations even better

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 20/05/04 - 7:04 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

I'm with you Doord, Z Brush is great. Now if only ZBrush 3 would have decent interfaces and navigation tools. [:)]
Nice job by the way.

You do know that the interface is completely customisable. I have mine interface the same as max right now but I watched a tut yesterday on ZBrush and now I have some very cool ideas to speed up work flow and get more working space.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 20/05/04 - 7:08 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by bullet21

What site are you looking at bullet21?? There isn't any animation on the site just an .avi of a model.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 20/05/04 - 7:17 PM Permalink

Inglis/Doord: Yeah I know the interface is customisable, its just not friendly, more focus on pretty than workflow.
I like clean simple interfaces, maya, max photoshop etc, it just feels like I'm always in a sub menu, hey I love the program just think the interface is more about looks than functionality, just like Bryce urghh!!.

Hey Doord, whats the chance of you posting your interface setting file? BTW how did you guys go at E3 with T:V?

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 20/05/04 - 7:20 PM Permalink

I can do that. You will have to wait until monday, I have no zbrush at work (right now) and I have a day off for my 21st tomorrow.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 20/05/04 - 8:38 PM Permalink

Happy Birthday doord [:D] !!!

Nice model to btw - really like his arms !!

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 20/05/04 - 8:43 PM Permalink

Thanks man you have jumped the gun by a day but thanks :)

Yeah I like the arms also they were the last thing I worked on and because of that they have a extra layer of detail on them.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 21/05/04 - 1:42 AM Permalink

+1 early happy birthday!

awesome model, the muscles are great and the whole thing is really one of the best models ive ever seen

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 21/05/04 - 1:47 AM Permalink

thanks man :)

I'm happy to see/hear that you all think so highly of the model, I have been a bit scared after seeing what is possible with ZBrush and if I could keep up with what was being done.

I'm starting to feel a little less scared and that I'm on the right track. Thanks.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 21/05/04 - 2:28 AM Permalink

Happy b'day man.
If you could post those files monday that would be great, cheers man.

I'm actually using zbrush to make a normal map for that spider demon I never finished for an old comp on sumea.
I love zbrush, its like sculpting, its the way modelling should be. [:)]

All the kudos for your model are spot on man, you should feel like your on track.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 21/05/04 - 4:06 AM Permalink

you better post that spider demon Dean! i need to see it [:P]

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 26/05/04 - 3:33 AM Permalink

Lol, if I ever get it done.
Shes become my little test subject for all the things I want to try out. [:P]

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 26/05/04 - 8:19 AM Permalink

ahh okay so shes mutated, has one arm thats 50 tri's and the other is 50K tris, half normal mapped and the rest is bog standard diffuse! excellent need to see it even more!!! [:P] post it post it!!

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 26/05/04 - 7:11 PM Permalink

Damn, I forgot two days in a row now. I will remember the UI file for ZBrush one day, would you be able to wait until next week, I planing to doing alot of ZBrush on the weekend and therefore the UI will be update from ideas I have see in zbrush videos and new tools I have found out about which look to be very useful.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 26/05/04 - 10:32 PM Permalink

Doord: no worries man, you're doing me a favour sharing a decent UI.
Hazard: Egads no, shes ugly. Maybe when I actually commit my time to a full model. [:P]

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 27/05/04 - 2:23 AM Permalink

yeah but your defination of "ugly" is like JI's definition of about 60% done. for the rest of us its pure [:O] [:o] material!!

Posted by Doord on

I was asked by the boss to look into ZBrush for use in hi-res character modelling for normal mapping characters. So don't expect anything to amazing because it was just a test and my first model just working out the tools really. I Have started a new model to test the art pipe line for making a character for next gen games from start to finish so look forward to me showing off more then.

http://www.geocities.com/brendandoord/

Download "Zbrush_Test.avi"

This took around 2 working days to make, I was also still leaning the tools as I was making the character.

Zbrush rocks.

Submitted by denz on Wed, 19/05/04 - 8:45 PM Permalink

gday, looks really nice mate [:D]. Looking forward to ur art pipe line test. I'm looking at learning normal maps myself.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 20/05/04 - 3:51 AM Permalink

Nice job by the way.

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 20/05/04 - 4:23 AM Permalink

zbrush 2 interface is pretty straight forward.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 20/05/04 - 4:29 AM Permalink

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 20/05/04 - 7:04 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Malus

Nice job by the way.

You do know that the interface is completely customisable. I have mine interface the same as max right now but I watched a tut yesterday on ZBrush and now I have some very cool ideas to speed up work flow and get more working space.

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 20/05/04 - 7:08 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by bullet21

What site are you looking at bullet21?? There isn't any animation on the site just an .avi of a model.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 20/05/04 - 7:17 PM Permalink

Inglis/Doord: Yeah I know the interface is customisable, its just not friendly, more focus on pretty than workflow.
I like clean simple interfaces, maya, max photoshop etc, it just feels like I'm always in a sub menu, hey I love the program just think the interface is more about looks than functionality, just like Bryce urghh!!.

Hey Doord, whats the chance of you posting your interface setting file? BTW how did you guys go at E3 with T:V?

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 20/05/04 - 7:20 PM Permalink

I can do that. You will have to wait until monday, I have no zbrush at work (right now) and I have a day off for my 21st tomorrow.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 20/05/04 - 8:38 PM Permalink

Happy Birthday doord [:D] !!!

Nice model to btw - really like his arms !!

Submitted by Doord on Thu, 20/05/04 - 8:43 PM Permalink

Thanks man you have jumped the gun by a day but thanks :)

Yeah I like the arms also they were the last thing I worked on and because of that they have a extra layer of detail on them.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 21/05/04 - 1:42 AM Permalink

+1 early happy birthday!

awesome model, the muscles are great and the whole thing is really one of the best models ive ever seen

Submitted by Doord on Fri, 21/05/04 - 1:47 AM Permalink

thanks man :)

I'm happy to see/hear that you all think so highly of the model, I have been a bit scared after seeing what is possible with ZBrush and if I could keep up with what was being done.

I'm starting to feel a little less scared and that I'm on the right track. Thanks.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 21/05/04 - 2:28 AM Permalink

Happy b'day man.
If you could post those files monday that would be great, cheers man.

I'm actually using zbrush to make a normal map for that spider demon I never finished for an old comp on sumea.
I love zbrush, its like sculpting, its the way modelling should be. [:)]

All the kudos for your model are spot on man, you should feel like your on track.

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 21/05/04 - 4:06 AM Permalink

you better post that spider demon Dean! i need to see it [:P]

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 26/05/04 - 3:33 AM Permalink

Lol, if I ever get it done.
Shes become my little test subject for all the things I want to try out. [:P]

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 26/05/04 - 8:19 AM Permalink

ahh okay so shes mutated, has one arm thats 50 tri's and the other is 50K tris, half normal mapped and the rest is bog standard diffuse! excellent need to see it even more!!! [:P] post it post it!!

Submitted by Doord on Wed, 26/05/04 - 7:11 PM Permalink

Damn, I forgot two days in a row now. I will remember the UI file for ZBrush one day, would you be able to wait until next week, I planing to doing alot of ZBrush on the weekend and therefore the UI will be update from ideas I have see in zbrush videos and new tools I have found out about which look to be very useful.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 26/05/04 - 10:32 PM Permalink

Doord: no worries man, you're doing me a favour sharing a decent UI.
Hazard: Egads no, shes ugly. Maybe when I actually commit my time to a full model. [:P]

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 27/05/04 - 2:23 AM Permalink

yeah but your defination of "ugly" is like JI's definition of about 60% done. for the rest of us its pure [:O] [:o] material!!