Skip to main content

"Soon" post on Steam news for a few seconds.

Submitted by mcdrewski on
Forum

I have the Steam news set up as an RSS feed, and for a few seconds today This image (headline simply "SOON") was posted (shrunk slightly to fit within sumea's 146kb upload limit).

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/mcdrewski/200412101717_soon.jpg[…]

Now the post [url]http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news&id=358[/url] and the image are gone.

Mistake? Teaser? Flying toilets too risque?

Submitted by souri on Thu, 02/12/04 - 3:34 AM Permalink

Yeh, I read that the picture above is concept art, but the name of the pic was HL2DM.jpg, implying that Valve has Half Life 2 online death match plans...

Submitted by souri on Thu, 02/12/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

Damn... I can't even connect to steam...

Submitted by souri on Thu, 02/12/04 - 5:02 AM Permalink

I can't even open up Half Life 2 to play! I had a look at the Counterstrike:Source Game Arena servers (somewhere between 10-15 servers) which is usually near capacity on every server, and they're all almost empty [:D]. There are 166 people waiting to play, and only 22 people playing. Chalk this one as another Half Life 2/Steam gripe. [;)]

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 02/12/04 - 5:40 AM Permalink

1) unplug network cable.
2) play in offline mode :)

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 04/12/04 - 9:22 AM Permalink

I've been playing it the last two days, it's really fun.. but the physics can cause it to lag out really bad

Submitted by mcdrewski on Sat, 04/12/04 - 9:14 PM Permalink

Ironically, just after I suggested offline mode I tried it - and Steam helpfully told me that I couldn't complete the operation (start in offline mode) in Offline mode.

Time for more chalk for those Steam gripes...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 05/12/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

had a go at HL2DM, awesome fun. The grav gun does dumb down the required skill a bit (like if you get a bench, throwing that covers a area larger then a shotgun spray and with something that size its probably a one hit kill) but its still crazy fun to play.

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 07/12/04 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Played it a little over the weekend and loved it. Although you can throw some big things around, they are much slower (compared to regular shotgun etc.) and so can be dodged more easily. Also the larger objects seem to be thrown more slowly. My favourite object to throw was the wash basins, they moved pretty damn quick!
I'm thinking some people might get annoyed about the magnum, it's like a freakin rail gun, i was racking up waaay to many kills for such a weapon :)
I think the gravity gun also adds a subtle amount of depth to the game, a few times i would whip up a table or cabinet in front of me as i was getting shot with SMG, then as they start to reload, shoot em up, when they finish reloading, grab that cabinet again and cover :)
I loved it, for a simple deathmatch game it simply ranks as the best i've played. However, it still holds nothing against true team games (not team deathmatch :P). Reaaally looking forward to some good team mods.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Fri, 10/12/04 - 2:16 PM Permalink

It's fun for a few minutes, but mindeless deathmatch seriously numbs my brain after a while [:X] I need some more interesting multiplayer. Bring on class based, teamplay orientated multiplayer with interesting objectives! [8D]

Of course, that'll probably mean Team Fortress 2, whenever that comes out.

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 11/12/04 - 3:53 AM Permalink

Bring on natural selection 2 (or source or whatever)!!
CYer, Blitz

Posted by mcdrewski on
Forum

I have the Steam news set up as an RSS feed, and for a few seconds today This image (headline simply "SOON") was posted (shrunk slightly to fit within sumea's 146kb upload limit).

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/attached/mcdrewski/200412101717_soon.jpg[…]

Now the post [url]http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=news&id=358[/url] and the image are gone.

Mistake? Teaser? Flying toilets too risque?

Submitted by souri on Thu, 02/12/04 - 3:34 AM Permalink

Yeh, I read that the picture above is concept art, but the name of the pic was HL2DM.jpg, implying that Valve has Half Life 2 online death match plans...

Submitted by souri on Thu, 02/12/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

Damn... I can't even connect to steam...

Submitted by souri on Thu, 02/12/04 - 5:02 AM Permalink

I can't even open up Half Life 2 to play! I had a look at the Counterstrike:Source Game Arena servers (somewhere between 10-15 servers) which is usually near capacity on every server, and they're all almost empty [:D]. There are 166 people waiting to play, and only 22 people playing. Chalk this one as another Half Life 2/Steam gripe. [;)]

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 02/12/04 - 5:40 AM Permalink

1) unplug network cable.
2) play in offline mode :)

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 04/12/04 - 9:22 AM Permalink

I've been playing it the last two days, it's really fun.. but the physics can cause it to lag out really bad

Submitted by mcdrewski on Sat, 04/12/04 - 9:14 PM Permalink

Ironically, just after I suggested offline mode I tried it - and Steam helpfully told me that I couldn't complete the operation (start in offline mode) in Offline mode.

Time for more chalk for those Steam gripes...

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sun, 05/12/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

had a go at HL2DM, awesome fun. The grav gun does dumb down the required skill a bit (like if you get a bench, throwing that covers a area larger then a shotgun spray and with something that size its probably a one hit kill) but its still crazy fun to play.

Submitted by Blitz on Tue, 07/12/04 - 4:13 AM Permalink

Played it a little over the weekend and loved it. Although you can throw some big things around, they are much slower (compared to regular shotgun etc.) and so can be dodged more easily. Also the larger objects seem to be thrown more slowly. My favourite object to throw was the wash basins, they moved pretty damn quick!
I'm thinking some people might get annoyed about the magnum, it's like a freakin rail gun, i was racking up waaay to many kills for such a weapon :)
I think the gravity gun also adds a subtle amount of depth to the game, a few times i would whip up a table or cabinet in front of me as i was getting shot with SMG, then as they start to reload, shoot em up, when they finish reloading, grab that cabinet again and cover :)
I loved it, for a simple deathmatch game it simply ranks as the best i've played. However, it still holds nothing against true team games (not team deathmatch :P). Reaaally looking forward to some good team mods.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by souri on Fri, 10/12/04 - 2:16 PM Permalink

It's fun for a few minutes, but mindeless deathmatch seriously numbs my brain after a while [:X] I need some more interesting multiplayer. Bring on class based, teamplay orientated multiplayer with interesting objectives! [8D]

Of course, that'll probably mean Team Fortress 2, whenever that comes out.

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 11/12/04 - 3:53 AM Permalink

Bring on natural selection 2 (or source or whatever)!!
CYer, Blitz