Skip to main content

The Freehauler Team Seek a Python Programmer

Submitted by Damo on
Forum

The Freehauler project is seeking a Python programmer to join our online development team.

Freehauler is a serious independent PC game project with elements of open-ended space-sims like Privateer 2 and the classic Elite, crossed with the physics and realism of Iwar2: Edge of Chaos and the non-space sim trading Titan based game Hardwar.

Freehauler will incorporate increased realism and the unique setting of the interplanetary era Orion's Arm game world (www.orionsarm.com)

We are a small, but growing team of independent game developers with a passion for our work.

As project lead I?m finding my duties are shifting more towards management and coordination of other team members and away from hands on development work so I am seek another programmer to keep the work ticking over while I?m occupied with other tasks.

The successful candidate will be required to:

• collaborate over the internet with the lead programmer and possibly other team developers on an ongoing part-time basis
  • develop core game engine modules in Python to a written specification
  • optimise Python modules if necessary using a 3GL such as C or C++
  • assist in component and integration testing where required

The following are required:

• Experience in Python
  • Experience in a 3GL (like C++, Pascal, etc)
  • Excellent communication skills
  • Ability to work independently

The following are desirable, but not necessarily required:

• Experience in online collaborative teamenvironment
  • Knowledge of Design patterns
  • SQL
  • Experience with a relational or OO database
  • Knowledge of Booste and Pyste
  • Knowledge and/or Experience in the Ogre rendering engine
  • An understanding of current game technologies
  • A willingness to learn new areas of technology
  • Game development experience
  • A keen interested in space and computer games, especially games in the space sim genre

Work is a part-time and fully flexible around other commitments.

Freehauler is a commercial independently development project and payment is royalty based. To put things in perspective, all team members (bar me) are working part-time and all but two are holding down full time jobs and doing this in their spare time. We are however, serious about what we do and our goal is commercial success.

If you are interested in helping out please email: damon.court@gmail.com with the subject heading "Python Programmer Application"

Team Details:

Team Name: Freehauler developer team

Web site: www.siderealgames.com

Project Description: Freehauler is a serious independent PC game project with elements of open-ended space-sims like Privateer 2 and the classic Elite, crossed with the physics and realism of I-War2: Edge of Chaos and the non-space sim trading game Hardwar.

Freehauler will incorporate increased realism and the unique setting of the interplanetary era Orion's Arm game world (www.orionsarm.com) making it stand out from other titles in the genre,

In a rich and diverse open-ended setting the player must choose their path wisely and balance their allegiances to a multitude of factions for survival and profit in a cut-throat solar system.

Random BBS missions and events, a gripping story and a rich and detailed background setting will assure Freehauler is highly repayable and a unique experience not to be missed by avid gamers.

More information can be found in our public forums at
http://www.siderealgames.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl

Project Goals: To create a more realistic open-ended and highly repayable space trader sim.

Team Members:
Shane - 3D Modeller
Damon - Project Leader/Programmer
Nick - 3D Modeller
Tom - World builder
Steve - World builder
Alan - World builder

Project Founded: Q4 2003

Estimate project duration: 1-2 years depending on the growth of team

My past team project experience: 1 year+ on Freehauler Project + 5 years+ in IT industry (non game related experience) + non-commercial: university & part-time team projects

Screenshots: (Some concept models)

http://www.siderealgames.com/images/1gk3dl.jpg
http://www.siderealgames.com/images/small-freighter2.jpg
http://www.siderealgames.com/images/Lander2.jpg

Posted by Damo on
Forum

The Freehauler project is seeking a Python programmer to join our online development team.

Freehauler is a serious independent PC game project with elements of open-ended space-sims like Privateer 2 and the classic Elite, crossed with the physics and realism of Iwar2: Edge of Chaos and the non-space sim trading Titan based game Hardwar.

Freehauler will incorporate increased realism and the unique setting of the interplanetary era Orion's Arm game world (www.orionsarm.com)

We are a small, but growing team of independent game developers with a passion for our work.

As project lead I?m finding my duties are shifting more towards management and coordination of other team members and away from hands on development work so I am seek another programmer to keep the work ticking over while I?m occupied with other tasks.

The successful candidate will be required to:

• collaborate over the internet with the lead programmer and possibly other team developers on an ongoing part-time basis
  • develop core game engine modules in Python to a written specification
  • optimise Python modules if necessary using a 3GL such as C or C++
  • assist in component and integration testing where required

The following are required:

• Experience in Python
  • Experience in a 3GL (like C++, Pascal, etc)
  • Excellent communication skills
  • Ability to work independently

The following are desirable, but not necessarily required:

• Experience in online collaborative teamenvironment
  • Knowledge of Design patterns
  • SQL
  • Experience with a relational or OO database
  • Knowledge of Booste and Pyste
  • Knowledge and/or Experience in the Ogre rendering engine
  • An understanding of current game technologies
  • A willingness to learn new areas of technology
  • Game development experience
  • A keen interested in space and computer games, especially games in the space sim genre

Work is a part-time and fully flexible around other commitments.

Freehauler is a commercial independently development project and payment is royalty based. To put things in perspective, all team members (bar me) are working part-time and all but two are holding down full time jobs and doing this in their spare time. We are however, serious about what we do and our goal is commercial success.

If you are interested in helping out please email: damon.court@gmail.com with the subject heading "Python Programmer Application"

Team Details:

Team Name: Freehauler developer team

Web site: www.siderealgames.com

Project Description: Freehauler is a serious independent PC game project with elements of open-ended space-sims like Privateer 2 and the classic Elite, crossed with the physics and realism of I-War2: Edge of Chaos and the non-space sim trading game Hardwar.

Freehauler will incorporate increased realism and the unique setting of the interplanetary era Orion's Arm game world (www.orionsarm.com) making it stand out from other titles in the genre,

In a rich and diverse open-ended setting the player must choose their path wisely and balance their allegiances to a multitude of factions for survival and profit in a cut-throat solar system.

Random BBS missions and events, a gripping story and a rich and detailed background setting will assure Freehauler is highly repayable and a unique experience not to be missed by avid gamers.

More information can be found in our public forums at
http://www.siderealgames.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl

Project Goals: To create a more realistic open-ended and highly repayable space trader sim.

Team Members:
Shane - 3D Modeller
Damon - Project Leader/Programmer
Nick - 3D Modeller
Tom - World builder
Steve - World builder
Alan - World builder

Project Founded: Q4 2003

Estimate project duration: 1-2 years depending on the growth of team

My past team project experience: 1 year+ on Freehauler Project + 5 years+ in IT industry (non game related experience) + non-commercial: university & part-time team projects

Screenshots: (Some concept models)

http://www.siderealgames.com/images/1gk3dl.jpg
http://www.siderealgames.com/images/small-freighter2.jpg
http://www.siderealgames.com/images/Lander2.jpg