Skip to main content

A far fetched feature idea for programmers

Submitted by Kezza on
Forum

How about a mini-forum thing similar to the code of the day at flipcode... however the idea is that someone posts an initial problem or piece of code and then people reply with improved versions of that code, repeat recursively.

Then you have a kind of votable ranking system for the posts so that people can then see what was "the best" version.

It would act as both a way go get help with problems, and also an ongoing mini-challenge for programmers.

Submitted by lava monkey on Tue, 06/05/03 - 5:17 AM Permalink

yeh, not a bad idea fixing problems is also easier and less time consuming than making a demo. But i wonder how many people would use it, most people are working on projects were they cant share any information or code on.

Submitted by Kezza on Tue, 06/05/03 - 10:05 AM Permalink

i think many people would post improvements... but not many would post problems or code. However it can work, just look at flipcode.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 07/05/03 - 7:57 AM Permalink

Yeah, Code/Tip of the day would be a good thing for programmers.

Perhaps like we could replace the images with that kinda thing on the programmers site thingo. (damn I'm vague aren't I?)

Submitted by souri on Wed, 07/05/03 - 11:02 PM Permalink

Sounds like it's something that can be done already with this forum (without voting unfortunately - although I can add that later, I think.. do you really need voting? ) - it sounds like a good side activity for programmers, like the speed paint is for modellers. Who gets to submit the problem code?

Submitted by Kezza on Thu, 08/05/03 - 4:57 AM Permalink

anyone would be allowed to submit a problem...

however the voting is very usefull as in an ideal situation there will be many different versions. It would make it alot more useful if people could rate them so the "best" versions would be most visible. So that people could see the version that was considered the most optimal/feature rich/however you rate code goodness.

I've never looked it up, but do we have some kind of c/c++ syntax hilighting on forum posts? cause that would be very cool too.

Posted by Kezza on
Forum

How about a mini-forum thing similar to the code of the day at flipcode... however the idea is that someone posts an initial problem or piece of code and then people reply with improved versions of that code, repeat recursively.

Then you have a kind of votable ranking system for the posts so that people can then see what was "the best" version.

It would act as both a way go get help with problems, and also an ongoing mini-challenge for programmers.

Submitted by lava monkey on Tue, 06/05/03 - 5:17 AM Permalink

yeh, not a bad idea fixing problems is also easier and less time consuming than making a demo. But i wonder how many people would use it, most people are working on projects were they cant share any information or code on.

Submitted by Kezza on Tue, 06/05/03 - 10:05 AM Permalink

i think many people would post improvements... but not many would post problems or code. However it can work, just look at flipcode.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 07/05/03 - 7:57 AM Permalink

Yeah, Code/Tip of the day would be a good thing for programmers.

Perhaps like we could replace the images with that kinda thing on the programmers site thingo. (damn I'm vague aren't I?)

Submitted by souri on Wed, 07/05/03 - 11:02 PM Permalink

Sounds like it's something that can be done already with this forum (without voting unfortunately - although I can add that later, I think.. do you really need voting? ) - it sounds like a good side activity for programmers, like the speed paint is for modellers. Who gets to submit the problem code?

Submitted by Kezza on Thu, 08/05/03 - 4:57 AM Permalink

anyone would be allowed to submit a problem...

however the voting is very usefull as in an ideal situation there will be many different versions. It would make it alot more useful if people could rate them so the "best" versions would be most visible. So that people could see the version that was considered the most optimal/feature rich/however you rate code goodness.

I've never looked it up, but do we have some kind of c/c++ syntax hilighting on forum posts? cause that would be very cool too.