Skip to main content

Quick Sketch

Submitted by Kalescent on

Heres a pencil sketch i did today whilst my computer was defragging [:D]

I remember seeing this chicks face at a hairdressers somewhere on the wall - tried to recall it from memory [:)]

comments / crits welcome, im looking to up my drawing / painting skills, so decided to start today [:)]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_quickchick.jpg[/img]

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 08/03/04 - 6:19 AM Permalink

looks great, can't really give any crit cos I can't really see anything wrong. How long was your PC defragginf for or i guess i should be asking how long it took to draw :)

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 08/03/04 - 6:47 AM Permalink

Is it me, or if you put your hand covering the bottom of it, it looks fenimine at the top, but when you cover the top half, it looks kind a masculine. This is just what I think. On whole, excellent work, good use of your memory skills, keep it up.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 08/03/04 - 7:44 AM Permalink

i wouldnt agree at all, the lips are far too feminine for that. Nice sketch man :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 08/03/04 - 8:46 AM Permalink

Bullet21 - defrag took about 45 minutes!! damn slow puter [:(] but drawing took about 10-15 minutes at the most.

Cody- i can kinda see what your getting at, an interesting perception man [;)]

Thanks guys - i feel my drawing skills are way behind my modelling skills, but im determined to be better at both.

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 08/03/04 - 9:18 AM Permalink

I think it is the jaw, not long enough for a woman, well i think, but as i said it looks kind of musuculine at the bottom, i think my mind says, facial hair, as there is a alot lins in the jaw, chin area.

Submitted by Me109 on Wed, 10/03/04 - 4:10 AM Permalink

Pretty good dude.. things to be aware of.. the gap between the eyes is a little to large.. given the size of the actual nose.. make that a little bigger.. and also shift the lips and nose up a bit... the area between the top of the lips and the nose is too extended... also your shading is filling in the gaps works quite nicely, maybe darken the areas around the eyes to give the illusion of how sunken eye acutally... just remember there is a eye socket.. but man I would be pretty happy with that..
to improve your skill more.. when you do a portrait have a crack at the profile!

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 10/03/04 - 10:21 PM Permalink

looks good on the whole. She looks all girl to me, although the sketchy line work(esp. on her chin) doesn't say 'feminine' as clearly as smoother treatment could have. Me109 is right about small proportion changes and I would suggest doing a 3/4 view too. Once you have done the three views you will have a good mental idea of the form in 3D.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 1:02 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comments guys ME109 - yeah i see what your getting at, thanks for the pointers [:D]
JohnN - thats a good idea about doing a 3/4 view as well - next time i defrag my computer, ill give it another shot.

It was supposed to be an excersise for myself just to see how quickly i could knock out a female face. As im still pretty noob with a pencil [:)]

Posted by Kalescent on

Heres a pencil sketch i did today whilst my computer was defragging [:D]

I remember seeing this chicks face at a hairdressers somewhere on the wall - tried to recall it from memory [:)]

comments / crits welcome, im looking to up my drawing / painting skills, so decided to start today [:)]

[img]http://www.sumea.com.au/simages2/219_quickchick.jpg[/img]

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 08/03/04 - 6:19 AM Permalink

looks great, can't really give any crit cos I can't really see anything wrong. How long was your PC defragginf for or i guess i should be asking how long it took to draw :)

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 08/03/04 - 6:47 AM Permalink

Is it me, or if you put your hand covering the bottom of it, it looks fenimine at the top, but when you cover the top half, it looks kind a masculine. This is just what I think. On whole, excellent work, good use of your memory skills, keep it up.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Mon, 08/03/04 - 7:44 AM Permalink

i wouldnt agree at all, the lips are far too feminine for that. Nice sketch man :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 08/03/04 - 8:46 AM Permalink

Bullet21 - defrag took about 45 minutes!! damn slow puter [:(] but drawing took about 10-15 minutes at the most.

Cody- i can kinda see what your getting at, an interesting perception man [;)]

Thanks guys - i feel my drawing skills are way behind my modelling skills, but im determined to be better at both.

Submitted by codyalday on Mon, 08/03/04 - 9:18 AM Permalink

I think it is the jaw, not long enough for a woman, well i think, but as i said it looks kind of musuculine at the bottom, i think my mind says, facial hair, as there is a alot lins in the jaw, chin area.

Submitted by Me109 on Wed, 10/03/04 - 4:10 AM Permalink

Pretty good dude.. things to be aware of.. the gap between the eyes is a little to large.. given the size of the actual nose.. make that a little bigger.. and also shift the lips and nose up a bit... the area between the top of the lips and the nose is too extended... also your shading is filling in the gaps works quite nicely, maybe darken the areas around the eyes to give the illusion of how sunken eye acutally... just remember there is a eye socket.. but man I would be pretty happy with that..
to improve your skill more.. when you do a portrait have a crack at the profile!

Submitted by Johnn on Wed, 10/03/04 - 10:21 PM Permalink

looks good on the whole. She looks all girl to me, although the sketchy line work(esp. on her chin) doesn't say 'feminine' as clearly as smoother treatment could have. Me109 is right about small proportion changes and I would suggest doing a 3/4 view too. Once you have done the three views you will have a good mental idea of the form in 3D.

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 1:02 AM Permalink

Thanks for the comments guys ME109 - yeah i see what your getting at, thanks for the pointers [:D]
JohnN - thats a good idea about doing a 3/4 view as well - next time i defrag my computer, ill give it another shot.

It was supposed to be an excersise for myself just to see how quickly i could knock out a female face. As im still pretty noob with a pencil [:)]