Skip to main content

Signature images

Submitted by redwyre on
Forum

I'm starting to see a few huge images in people's signatures... what are the restrictions of images in forum signatures?

I'd say 3 lines of text or image should be plenty.

Submitted by urgrund on Tue, 15/03/05 - 1:53 AM Permalink

one thing i HATE are huge signature images... you're not an advertising firm & you're not a movie star, get over it. As redwyre said, a few lines text/links, and maybe a neat logo is fine. I really love having a forum page take 20x as long to load because people have huge sig's... especially when replies are like "yeh, i agree" then its another 15lines for an image!
:D

ps. this is mainly from other forums, i havn't had a problem here :)

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 15/03/05 - 4:48 AM Permalink

100% agreed to both. I'm normally not a fan of sig images at all, but I have seen some done very well...

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 15/03/05 - 5:54 AM Permalink

i've never noticed picutes in sigs here (is it possible to turn them off? i still have text sigs though, might check that out).

but i agree about huge sigs, most of the time i cant find the actuall posts in a long thread cops they're just a few lines hidden amoungst huge images in the sigs. a small sig about the height of one or two lines of textx is fine in my oppinion. any more and you're just wasting space and bandwidth.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 15/03/05 - 6:20 AM Permalink

I'd prefer no image signatures actually. I'm too lazy to tell people to not do it though. That can be your job, if you like [:D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 15/03/05 - 6:59 AM Permalink

Power to the people! [:P]

Do I get to wear some kind of "Signature Police" uniform? [8]

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 15/03/05 - 7:08 AM Permalink

What about tiny little pixel art things? I can only really think of one person here who has one anyway, but I quite like that little dude! [:D]

Of course, anything larger then a couple of lines of text is just plain rude ? and if everyone started doing sig pics, even tiny ones, it would be really annoying.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Tue, 15/03/05 - 1:21 PM Permalink

sig pics = annoying

Avatars are good enough I think [:D]

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 16/03/05 - 4:13 AM Permalink

there is a web site/forum that i used to go to that has a digital art section. it's pretty much full of "my new sig and avatar" threads(and nobody cared that i posted 3d there dagnamit)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 17/03/05 - 7:38 PM Permalink

I did originally ask if I could have him a long time ago and was ok?ed. But if the tide of feeling is against them I will remove it.

My personal opinion is just stipulate some limits and enforce those limits.
Something like no more then 100 pixels high x 400 pixels long and less then 10k should keep things pretty inoffensive.

Pantmonger

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 17/03/05 - 8:35 PM Permalink

...I completely forget that yours was even there, and no, I don't have a problem with something that sort of size at all.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 17/03/05 - 10:59 PM Permalink

yeah i forgot about yours too. i guess cos it dosnt draw attention to itself. though if everyone had one they might start fill out the page.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 18/03/05 - 1:07 AM Permalink

Pantmongers isn't offensively large, I personally like it, its the big sad banner ones that s*$t me.

Oh and it's his creation. [:P]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 18/03/05 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Im on your side Pants [:P] I also forgot about that little guy.

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 18/03/05 - 1:59 AM Permalink

Normal text size on firefox is about 22px a line, so three lines of text or a 64px by 400px should be plenty.

Also there are some people with 5 line signatures... *looks at HazarD and Anuxinamoon* where they could be two lines or so if the text was to be spread horizontally. And noone seems to use a smaller font size in their sigs either.

Souri: You should probably write up a well defined signature policy :) I will personally contact those who have excruciating large images in the time being.

Submitted by Jacana on Fri, 18/03/05 - 3:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by redwyre

Also there are some people with 5 line signatures... *looks at HazarD and Anuxinamoon* where they could be two lines or so if the text was to be spread horizontally.

Souri: You should probably write up a well defined signature policy :) I will personally contact those who have excruciating large images in the time being.

But take into account that those people who have 5 line sigs are also Sumea sponsers :) I personally think that for helping to keep sumea running I can survive with a few extra lines of text.

In terms of setting up strict policies on sigs I hope you don't. Sumea has always been lax and open to what ever. I just don't like the idea of starting to hand out rules to everyone about how big a sig must be.

I think it would just be worth keeping an eye out and if anyone has anything really large just sending them a nice PM asking if they would mind shrinking the size.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 18/03/05 - 7:12 AM Permalink

True Jacana but I personally hate sifting through millions of lines of text or pointless images to find the next post, no matter who it is.

I guess its more about being considerate to your other Sumeans, no matter your status, another thing I would have hoped Sumea was about. [:)]

I've always wondered why there isn't an option to just not load peoples sig's on forums if you don't want to see them?

Maybe someone should think of a way of doing that. [:P]

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 22/03/05 - 6:57 AM Permalink

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but if there aren't rules, then some people take advantage of the situation. Once when the community here was small and close, it wasn't needed... but Sumea is getting big! But perhaps "policy" was too strong. How about some guidelines instead? And it's not just about the signatures, it's the whole forum needs a posting guidelines just to future-proof.

Edit: Oh, and the orginal poster has removed the huge image so I am content to return to lurking the forums.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 23/03/05 - 6:01 AM Permalink

Pantmonger: I never even noticed your mantis! I must have rolled a 1 on my spot check or something..

I reduced my sig size, just 'cause I can (it was stupidly too big anyway, I just never realised...... must put more skill points on spot)

And if I can figure out how to put a link up on my sig, I could be rid of another line! [:D]

Posted by redwyre on
Forum

I'm starting to see a few huge images in people's signatures... what are the restrictions of images in forum signatures?

I'd say 3 lines of text or image should be plenty.

Submitted by urgrund on Tue, 15/03/05 - 1:53 AM Permalink

one thing i HATE are huge signature images... you're not an advertising firm & you're not a movie star, get over it. As redwyre said, a few lines text/links, and maybe a neat logo is fine. I really love having a forum page take 20x as long to load because people have huge sig's... especially when replies are like "yeh, i agree" then its another 15lines for an image!
:D

ps. this is mainly from other forums, i havn't had a problem here :)

Submitted by mcdrewski on Tue, 15/03/05 - 4:48 AM Permalink

100% agreed to both. I'm normally not a fan of sig images at all, but I have seen some done very well...

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 15/03/05 - 5:54 AM Permalink

i've never noticed picutes in sigs here (is it possible to turn them off? i still have text sigs though, might check that out).

but i agree about huge sigs, most of the time i cant find the actuall posts in a long thread cops they're just a few lines hidden amoungst huge images in the sigs. a small sig about the height of one or two lines of textx is fine in my oppinion. any more and you're just wasting space and bandwidth.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 15/03/05 - 6:20 AM Permalink

I'd prefer no image signatures actually. I'm too lazy to tell people to not do it though. That can be your job, if you like [:D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 15/03/05 - 6:59 AM Permalink

Power to the people! [:P]

Do I get to wear some kind of "Signature Police" uniform? [8]

Submitted by palantir on Tue, 15/03/05 - 7:08 AM Permalink

What about tiny little pixel art things? I can only really think of one person here who has one anyway, but I quite like that little dude! [:D]

Of course, anything larger then a couple of lines of text is just plain rude ? and if everyone started doing sig pics, even tiny ones, it would be really annoying.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Tue, 15/03/05 - 1:21 PM Permalink

sig pics = annoying

Avatars are good enough I think [:D]

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 16/03/05 - 4:13 AM Permalink

there is a web site/forum that i used to go to that has a digital art section. it's pretty much full of "my new sig and avatar" threads(and nobody cared that i posted 3d there dagnamit)

Submitted by Pantmonger on Thu, 17/03/05 - 7:38 PM Permalink

I did originally ask if I could have him a long time ago and was ok?ed. But if the tide of feeling is against them I will remove it.

My personal opinion is just stipulate some limits and enforce those limits.
Something like no more then 100 pixels high x 400 pixels long and less then 10k should keep things pretty inoffensive.

Pantmonger

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 17/03/05 - 8:35 PM Permalink

...I completely forget that yours was even there, and no, I don't have a problem with something that sort of size at all.

Submitted by LiveWire on Thu, 17/03/05 - 10:59 PM Permalink

yeah i forgot about yours too. i guess cos it dosnt draw attention to itself. though if everyone had one they might start fill out the page.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 18/03/05 - 1:07 AM Permalink

Pantmongers isn't offensively large, I personally like it, its the big sad banner ones that s*$t me.

Oh and it's his creation. [:P]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 18/03/05 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Im on your side Pants [:P] I also forgot about that little guy.

Submitted by redwyre on Fri, 18/03/05 - 1:59 AM Permalink

Normal text size on firefox is about 22px a line, so three lines of text or a 64px by 400px should be plenty.

Also there are some people with 5 line signatures... *looks at HazarD and Anuxinamoon* where they could be two lines or so if the text was to be spread horizontally. And noone seems to use a smaller font size in their sigs either.

Submitted by Jacana on Fri, 18/03/05 - 3:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by redwyre

Also there are some people with 5 line signatures... *looks at HazarD and Anuxinamoon* where they could be two lines or so if the text was to be spread horizontally.

But take into account that those people who have 5 line sigs are also Sumea sponsers :) I personally think that for helping to keep sumea running I can survive with a few extra lines of text.

In terms of setting up strict policies on sigs I hope you don't. Sumea has always been lax and open to what ever. I just don't like the idea of starting to hand out rules to everyone about how big a sig must be.

I think it would just be worth keeping an eye out and if anyone has anything really large just sending them a nice PM asking if they would mind shrinking the size.

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 18/03/05 - 7:12 AM Permalink

True Jacana but I personally hate sifting through millions of lines of text or pointless images to find the next post, no matter who it is.

I guess its more about being considerate to your other Sumeans, no matter your status, another thing I would have hoped Sumea was about. [:)]

I've always wondered why there isn't an option to just not load peoples sig's on forums if you don't want to see them?

Maybe someone should think of a way of doing that. [:P]

Submitted by redwyre on Tue, 22/03/05 - 6:57 AM Permalink

I'm not trying to be an ass here, but if there aren't rules, then some people take advantage of the situation. Once when the community here was small and close, it wasn't needed... but Sumea is getting big! But perhaps "policy" was too strong. How about some guidelines instead? And it's not just about the signatures, it's the whole forum needs a posting guidelines just to future-proof.

Edit: Oh, and the orginal poster has removed the huge image so I am content to return to lurking the forums.

Submitted by Anuxinamoon on Wed, 23/03/05 - 6:01 AM Permalink

Pantmonger: I never even noticed your mantis! I must have rolled a 1 on my spot check or something..

I reduced my sig size, just 'cause I can (it was stupidly too big anyway, I just never realised...... must put more skill points on spot)

And if I can figure out how to put a link up on my sig, I could be rid of another line! [:D]