Skip to main content

GAmes programming courses in Melboure

Forum

Does anyone know anywhere in Melbourne where there have a programming coarse orientated and around prgraming for games or any good 1 year programming coarses that teaches c and c++

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 16/02/03 - 6:44 AM Permalink

Just learn C and C++ in the year yourself. Fork out a few hundred dollars for textbooks, and get some freeware compilers and you'll probably learn it better than with the year doing some silly course.

Submitted by Jacana on Sun, 16/02/03 - 6:57 AM Permalink

hey Crazy,

I think its RMIT that delves into it a bit. While the course itself isnt I remember reading that one of the classes in the course actually had people from like Torus come lecture.

Also keep an eye out on Monash. One of my instructors at Swin Tafe went to Monash part time. She was telling me they were trying to get a games course up.

And Daemin - Not everyone does well self taught. I am glad you think buying books and learning it yourself is good and all but you also very much miss out on the social aspects of school when you do that.

I went to school to learn how to program because doing it myself didnt make sense.

"Yes I Code"
Shirts for AGDC 2003:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/5b3d/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/38f0/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/38ed/

Submitted by lava monkey on Sun, 16/02/03 - 10:08 AM Permalink

I agree with Daemin, you can learn a bit in a class (not usually much) but all your career you have to teach yourself anyway, so get use to it now.
not sure what text books to get.. i guess that matters what point your at, i'd recommend "programmers reference c/c++ second edition", great reference..
Probably Daemin can tell u some great books to get, i just stick to free books and tutorials mostly..

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 16/02/03 - 1:41 PM Permalink

The funny thing is I learn pretty much all I know from just "experience", that is reading articles (especially off the internet), and actually programming a lot, even if nothing full comes out of it for the first few months. The compiler, the warnings that it gives and the descriptions in the corresponding help file are a great learning help!

I would suggest try and finding some relevant C/C++ books in your local library first if that is at all possible. Other than that try and find some decent C beginners articles on the net, they're literally everywhere.

And Jacana, its true that some people learn well at school, but I think what lava_monkey said is that throughout the rest of your career you won't be learning things from a school so yeah. I would however like to add the point that its beneficial to do a CS degree anyways like I am, so that you can learn up on the other things like Maths and Physics that are also required as part of a career in Computer Science (Games Programming, Engineering etc)

Submitted by Jacana on Sun, 16/02/03 - 9:33 PM Permalink

I think regardless of how you learn you are still going to have to relearn most everything to fit in with whom ever your working fors style. Also, I find lot of the basic C/C++ books I have looked at tend to have some very bad coding practices.

Just to add - that if you do everything on your own (alone) you will miss out on a fair amount of social time. By that I mean being able to get recomendations from teachers, learning different ways to do things from peers, etc etc.

The social side of things was brought back up again recenlty. One of the tutors at school made a comment about how they can't really teach people to be social. I think the hope is that by mixing personalities in a classroom that people might pick up on some of the social aspects :)

-I spent my Valentines Day getting drunk with 40 guys!

Submitted by WiffleCube on Thu, 26/08/04 - 12:11 PM Permalink

Would have thought it would be better to go for a 'vanilla' Comp Sci degree, and find out for yourself how
to apply the material to games (like many do, myself included). It'd be a better regarded qualification IMO
than a diploma from some Sonic the Hedgehog school. There is that Atari school.. do you really want Atari
certification? Have you played Temple of Elemental Evil lately? *weg*

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 26/08/04 - 11:17 PM Permalink

I wish i went to a sonic the hedgehog school, then i would be able to run really fast and curl up into a ball and run over monsters and save the day!

Learning a programming language is eeeeeasy. It is just a matter of remembering simple grammars and structures really, and a very small vocabulary.

Learning to...engineer software (or program, or code) is a much more difficult task. It is not something you are likely to learn well simply by going to a 1 year C/C++ class. It is not something that can be taight very easily or quickly IMO, as stated previously by daemin, lava_monkey, it is something best learned through experience.
If you want to learn how to program (games or anything else) i would suggest doing something like a CS degree which runs over a long period of time. This gives you plenty of time to "experince" programming, while also giving you the opportunity to study maths, graphics, software design etc.

Anyway, if you're just after a class that will teach you the language, there should be plenty of TAFE courses that will do CERTs in c/c++ that last about a year (they may be called info tech or software engineering certificates...). If you want to learn to program, see above for my NSHO :)
CYer, Blitz

Forum

Does anyone know anywhere in Melbourne where there have a programming coarse orientated and around prgraming for games or any good 1 year programming coarses that teaches c and c++

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 16/02/03 - 6:44 AM Permalink

Just learn C and C++ in the year yourself. Fork out a few hundred dollars for textbooks, and get some freeware compilers and you'll probably learn it better than with the year doing some silly course.

Submitted by Jacana on Sun, 16/02/03 - 6:57 AM Permalink

hey Crazy,

I think its RMIT that delves into it a bit. While the course itself isnt I remember reading that one of the classes in the course actually had people from like Torus come lecture.

Also keep an eye out on Monash. One of my instructors at Swin Tafe went to Monash part time. She was telling me they were trying to get a games course up.

And Daemin - Not everyone does well self taught. I am glad you think buying books and learning it yourself is good and all but you also very much miss out on the social aspects of school when you do that.

I went to school to learn how to program because doing it myself didnt make sense.

"Yes I Code"
Shirts for AGDC 2003:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/5b3d/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/38f0/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts/ladies/38ed/

Submitted by lava monkey on Sun, 16/02/03 - 10:08 AM Permalink

I agree with Daemin, you can learn a bit in a class (not usually much) but all your career you have to teach yourself anyway, so get use to it now.
not sure what text books to get.. i guess that matters what point your at, i'd recommend "programmers reference c/c++ second edition", great reference..
Probably Daemin can tell u some great books to get, i just stick to free books and tutorials mostly..

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 16/02/03 - 1:41 PM Permalink

The funny thing is I learn pretty much all I know from just "experience", that is reading articles (especially off the internet), and actually programming a lot, even if nothing full comes out of it for the first few months. The compiler, the warnings that it gives and the descriptions in the corresponding help file are a great learning help!

I would suggest try and finding some relevant C/C++ books in your local library first if that is at all possible. Other than that try and find some decent C beginners articles on the net, they're literally everywhere.

And Jacana, its true that some people learn well at school, but I think what lava_monkey said is that throughout the rest of your career you won't be learning things from a school so yeah. I would however like to add the point that its beneficial to do a CS degree anyways like I am, so that you can learn up on the other things like Maths and Physics that are also required as part of a career in Computer Science (Games Programming, Engineering etc)

Submitted by Jacana on Sun, 16/02/03 - 9:33 PM Permalink

I think regardless of how you learn you are still going to have to relearn most everything to fit in with whom ever your working fors style. Also, I find lot of the basic C/C++ books I have looked at tend to have some very bad coding practices.

Just to add - that if you do everything on your own (alone) you will miss out on a fair amount of social time. By that I mean being able to get recomendations from teachers, learning different ways to do things from peers, etc etc.

The social side of things was brought back up again recenlty. One of the tutors at school made a comment about how they can't really teach people to be social. I think the hope is that by mixing personalities in a classroom that people might pick up on some of the social aspects :)

-I spent my Valentines Day getting drunk with 40 guys!

Submitted by WiffleCube on Thu, 26/08/04 - 12:11 PM Permalink

Would have thought it would be better to go for a 'vanilla' Comp Sci degree, and find out for yourself how
to apply the material to games (like many do, myself included). It'd be a better regarded qualification IMO
than a diploma from some Sonic the Hedgehog school. There is that Atari school.. do you really want Atari
certification? Have you played Temple of Elemental Evil lately? *weg*

Submitted by Blitz on Thu, 26/08/04 - 11:17 PM Permalink

I wish i went to a sonic the hedgehog school, then i would be able to run really fast and curl up into a ball and run over monsters and save the day!

Learning a programming language is eeeeeasy. It is just a matter of remembering simple grammars and structures really, and a very small vocabulary.

Learning to...engineer software (or program, or code) is a much more difficult task. It is not something you are likely to learn well simply by going to a 1 year C/C++ class. It is not something that can be taight very easily or quickly IMO, as stated previously by daemin, lava_monkey, it is something best learned through experience.
If you want to learn how to program (games or anything else) i would suggest doing something like a CS degree which runs over a long period of time. This gives you plenty of time to "experince" programming, while also giving you the opportunity to study maths, graphics, software design etc.

Anyway, if you're just after a class that will teach you the language, there should be plenty of TAFE courses that will do CERTs in c/c++ that last about a year (they may be called info tech or software engineering certificates...). If you want to learn to program, see above for my NSHO :)
CYer, Blitz