Skip to main content

"games tm" new aussie magazine

Submitted by tachyon on
Forum

Saw a new aussie gaming magazine on the shelves the other
day called "games tm" and decided to buy it and read. Not a
bad magazine i thought, seems to be trying hard to be the
same sort of magazine as Edge (even the cover is made of the
same sorta nice carboard). Has a nice retro section as well.

Has anyone else had a look? What do u reckon?

Submitted by souri on Sat, 17/05/03 - 12:08 AM Permalink

I haven't had a look at it yet, but I wonder, does anyone buy gaming magazines anymore? When I was younger, I would buy *a lot* of magazines. From Zzap 64!, Computer + Video Games, and then Amiga Format, Australian Commodore Amiga Review etc... but I've found the internet pretty much killed off my game magazine purchasing habits. The only bonus I would see from buying a gaming magazine now would be coverdisks to save me from downloading stuff.

Submitted by lava monkey on Sat, 17/05/03 - 3:18 AM Permalink

i used to buy pcpowerplay all the time but after ben mansill left that mag just went to shit.

Submitted by tachyon on Sat, 17/05/03 - 4:18 AM Permalink

speaking of mansil, does anyone read Atomic? one of the best aussie magazines out there i reckon

Submitted by Crystalmesh on Sat, 17/05/03 - 7:08 AM Permalink

I still buy gaming mags for something to read on the train on the way to work :D

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 17/05/03 - 7:45 AM Permalink

I used to buy pc gamer years and years ago, mainly for the coverdisc (back in 95/95 before i had net access). These days i have an xbox mag subscription, once again, for the coverdisc, although i do enjoy reading the mag, i think it's quite well put together (despite how much they may rip straight from the UK version :) )
Other than that, i don't think the net has really killed my magazine buying habits that much, i probably get most of my gaming news from this site :) I've never really followed games that closely in terms of knowing whats coming out when etc. I just find it difficult to find the time to keep up with all that stuff with so much else going on, so i jst rely on friends etc. to keep me in the loop :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 17/05/03 - 2:38 PM Permalink

I never really bought gamming mags, I used to buy APC alot (mainly for the cover disks), but these days it's all C++ and game dev. I have spent alot of money on gdmag @_@ (Well worth it though ;)

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 17/05/03 - 7:50 PM Permalink

I get PCPowerplay and Atomic - both to run out in like one more issue. Right now I am not sure I want to resubscribe. Even PCPowerplay themselves have commented on how they use to review like 30 or 40 games and now they are lucky to get 20 in a mag. Because of this I find they are trying to shove more "junk" to pad out the mag. They also seem to be very FPS focused and I dont feel that they really rate any RPG that well unless it has a more "FPS" feel to it.

The good side of old school is that they have been putting some free games on their cd's the past few issues from "back in the day" :)

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 17/05/03 - 10:07 PM Permalink

I used to buy the American PC Gamer, since I caught the bug when I was over there, but really, it kinda got old, having all those ads etc, and with the advent of the internet, it kinda made the magazines redundant, why bother getting demos when you can get the full version off the net?

Oh well...

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 18/05/03 - 12:53 AM Permalink

quote:why bother getting demos when you can get the full version off the net?

I think it has something to do with um.... piracy being illegal, can we all say 'Copyright Infringment'. [:P]

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 18/05/03 - 7:10 AM Permalink

Yeah, but when you have no money, demos tend to get boring when you can't buy the full game.

Submitted by Maitrek on Sun, 18/05/03 - 7:15 AM Permalink

I usually just grab the american PC gamer. And Daemin if you have no money to buy games - try getting a job instead of asking mummy :P
(sorry - you left yourself open there)

Submitted by Brain on Sun, 18/05/03 - 8:29 AM Permalink

Atomic is my main purchase, though I wish I still subscribed to HYPER. I've been a long time fan of HYPER since GameStar died out (plus I'm a Big Heavy Stuff fan, and with Elliot Fish as the Editor, it's an easy sell to me @;-)

Submitted by Major Clod on Sun, 18/05/03 - 10:08 AM Permalink

I used to a buy a PC gamer and a PC format every now and then, but it was just all too expensive. I used to buy PC user for a while there because they were the cheapest mag, with some good info and had a lot of good stuff packed onto the coverdisc. Now I only buy one every few months or so for the coverdisc, so that I don't have to download the newest version or DirectX, Detonator Drivers, etc....

Submitted by souri on Mon, 19/05/03 - 4:06 AM Permalink

I have never seen a magazine go downhill as bad as Zzap64!.. That used to be such a great magazine for the C64, but as things got from bad to worse, the magazine went slimmer, and slimmer, and slimmer. And while that was happening, the proportion of advertisements grew, compared to actual content. Towards the end of the magazines life, it became a rather expensive pamplet!

Submitted by Gazunta on Mon, 19/05/03 - 4:32 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

I have never seen a magazine go downhill as bad as Zzap64!.. That used to be such a great magazine for the C64, but as things from bad to worse, the magazine went slimmer, and slimmer, and slimmer. And while that was happening, the proportion of advertisements grew, compared to actual content. Towards the end of the magazines life, it became a rather expensive pamplet!

But god DAMN, did Zzap! 64 #107 rock... :)

BTW, Games(tm) rocks hard. Very much worth the read. (Especially the Retro section for old people like me who still think games made more than 6 months ago might still be worth playing) It's a UK mag, not an aussie one, btw.

Submitted by Leviron on Mon, 19/05/03 - 11:16 PM Permalink

About 5 years ago I buy HYPER a lot. I'll check that magazine out to see if I want to buy it.
Right now, reading New Scientist...not a game mag but somehow it's more useful.

Submitted by GooberMan on Tue, 20/05/03 - 11:41 PM Permalink

I stopped buying PC Powerplay after I got letter of the month and they never sent out my Athlon....

Submitted by Cam on Mon, 14/07/03 - 7:57 PM Permalink

technically it is both a uk mag and an aussie mag - i bought a copy the other day - issue five from the uk - then realised there was a local version - bought that.. issue two.. had the same 'is gaming good for you article'. i have a feeling they borrow 'alot'.. but since the uk mag was very impressive i really don't mind.

issue 5 of the uk mag had a zelda special.. did issue 1 of the aussie one have that (in the retro section)? cos i really wouldn't mind a copy of the first one.

Posted by tachyon on
Forum

Saw a new aussie gaming magazine on the shelves the other
day called "games tm" and decided to buy it and read. Not a
bad magazine i thought, seems to be trying hard to be the
same sort of magazine as Edge (even the cover is made of the
same sorta nice carboard). Has a nice retro section as well.

Has anyone else had a look? What do u reckon?

Submitted by souri on Sat, 17/05/03 - 12:08 AM Permalink

I haven't had a look at it yet, but I wonder, does anyone buy gaming magazines anymore? When I was younger, I would buy *a lot* of magazines. From Zzap 64!, Computer + Video Games, and then Amiga Format, Australian Commodore Amiga Review etc... but I've found the internet pretty much killed off my game magazine purchasing habits. The only bonus I would see from buying a gaming magazine now would be coverdisks to save me from downloading stuff.

Submitted by lava monkey on Sat, 17/05/03 - 3:18 AM Permalink

i used to buy pcpowerplay all the time but after ben mansill left that mag just went to shit.

Submitted by tachyon on Sat, 17/05/03 - 4:18 AM Permalink

speaking of mansil, does anyone read Atomic? one of the best aussie magazines out there i reckon

Submitted by Crystalmesh on Sat, 17/05/03 - 7:08 AM Permalink

I still buy gaming mags for something to read on the train on the way to work :D

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 17/05/03 - 7:45 AM Permalink

I used to buy pc gamer years and years ago, mainly for the coverdisc (back in 95/95 before i had net access). These days i have an xbox mag subscription, once again, for the coverdisc, although i do enjoy reading the mag, i think it's quite well put together (despite how much they may rip straight from the UK version :) )
Other than that, i don't think the net has really killed my magazine buying habits that much, i probably get most of my gaming news from this site :) I've never really followed games that closely in terms of knowing whats coming out when etc. I just find it difficult to find the time to keep up with all that stuff with so much else going on, so i jst rely on friends etc. to keep me in the loop :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 17/05/03 - 2:38 PM Permalink

I never really bought gamming mags, I used to buy APC alot (mainly for the cover disks), but these days it's all C++ and game dev. I have spent alot of money on gdmag @_@ (Well worth it though ;)

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 17/05/03 - 7:50 PM Permalink

I get PCPowerplay and Atomic - both to run out in like one more issue. Right now I am not sure I want to resubscribe. Even PCPowerplay themselves have commented on how they use to review like 30 or 40 games and now they are lucky to get 20 in a mag. Because of this I find they are trying to shove more "junk" to pad out the mag. They also seem to be very FPS focused and I dont feel that they really rate any RPG that well unless it has a more "FPS" feel to it.

The good side of old school is that they have been putting some free games on their cd's the past few issues from "back in the day" :)

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 17/05/03 - 10:07 PM Permalink

I used to buy the American PC Gamer, since I caught the bug when I was over there, but really, it kinda got old, having all those ads etc, and with the advent of the internet, it kinda made the magazines redundant, why bother getting demos when you can get the full version off the net?

Oh well...

Submitted by Malus on Sun, 18/05/03 - 12:53 AM Permalink

quote:why bother getting demos when you can get the full version off the net?

I think it has something to do with um.... piracy being illegal, can we all say 'Copyright Infringment'. [:P]

Submitted by Daemin on Sun, 18/05/03 - 7:10 AM Permalink

Yeah, but when you have no money, demos tend to get boring when you can't buy the full game.

Submitted by Maitrek on Sun, 18/05/03 - 7:15 AM Permalink

I usually just grab the american PC gamer. And Daemin if you have no money to buy games - try getting a job instead of asking mummy :P
(sorry - you left yourself open there)

Submitted by Brain on Sun, 18/05/03 - 8:29 AM Permalink

Atomic is my main purchase, though I wish I still subscribed to HYPER. I've been a long time fan of HYPER since GameStar died out (plus I'm a Big Heavy Stuff fan, and with Elliot Fish as the Editor, it's an easy sell to me @;-)

Submitted by Major Clod on Sun, 18/05/03 - 10:08 AM Permalink

I used to a buy a PC gamer and a PC format every now and then, but it was just all too expensive. I used to buy PC user for a while there because they were the cheapest mag, with some good info and had a lot of good stuff packed onto the coverdisc. Now I only buy one every few months or so for the coverdisc, so that I don't have to download the newest version or DirectX, Detonator Drivers, etc....

Submitted by souri on Mon, 19/05/03 - 4:06 AM Permalink

I have never seen a magazine go downhill as bad as Zzap64!.. That used to be such a great magazine for the C64, but as things got from bad to worse, the magazine went slimmer, and slimmer, and slimmer. And while that was happening, the proportion of advertisements grew, compared to actual content. Towards the end of the magazines life, it became a rather expensive pamplet!

Submitted by Gazunta on Mon, 19/05/03 - 4:32 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

I have never seen a magazine go downhill as bad as Zzap64!.. That used to be such a great magazine for the C64, but as things from bad to worse, the magazine went slimmer, and slimmer, and slimmer. And while that was happening, the proportion of advertisements grew, compared to actual content. Towards the end of the magazines life, it became a rather expensive pamplet!

But god DAMN, did Zzap! 64 #107 rock... :)

BTW, Games(tm) rocks hard. Very much worth the read. (Especially the Retro section for old people like me who still think games made more than 6 months ago might still be worth playing) It's a UK mag, not an aussie one, btw.

Submitted by Leviron on Mon, 19/05/03 - 11:16 PM Permalink

About 5 years ago I buy HYPER a lot. I'll check that magazine out to see if I want to buy it.
Right now, reading New Scientist...not a game mag but somehow it's more useful.

Submitted by GooberMan on Tue, 20/05/03 - 11:41 PM Permalink

I stopped buying PC Powerplay after I got letter of the month and they never sent out my Athlon....

Submitted by Cam on Mon, 14/07/03 - 7:57 PM Permalink

technically it is both a uk mag and an aussie mag - i bought a copy the other day - issue five from the uk - then realised there was a local version - bought that.. issue two.. had the same 'is gaming good for you article'. i have a feeling they borrow 'alot'.. but since the uk mag was very impressive i really don't mind.

issue 5 of the uk mag had a zelda special.. did issue 1 of the aussie one have that (in the retro section)? cos i really wouldn't mind a copy of the first one.