Skip to main content

I want to start programming

Forum

Well I took a c and c++ class in TAFE but I failed mainly due to not showing up and fucking around when I was there, well anyway, I still have the text book "Programming concepts 1&2 Turbo c version 3.0"
and I plan on making my way through that, but what I would also like is if anyone has any tutorials that I could use as well or anything that explains syntax and functions etc etc in great depth because one of my problems is that I had a hard time working out what I was meant to do because all the "stuff" that I was supposed to learn wasnt explained well (For me anyway), the only thing I understood was that a float is a decimal number an integer is a whole number a boolean was either a 1 or a 0 and thats about it.
Also are there any free compilers with a visual interface? So far I have the free version of borland c++ 5 and open watcom 1.2 which are both command line.

By the way I'm not looking to be a master programmer, I dont want to write my own graphics software or anything like that, maybe just the odd simple program or utility.

And If I happen to get somewhere with this, (In a years time or so) what is a good commercial compiler to buy, I'm thinking MSVC++, so how much would that be?

Submitted by Kane on Sat, 17/01/04 - 7:20 AM Permalink

hi...

just so you know, i done the Cert. 4 in IT (Programming) course at TAFE last year (2003)...

i don't have any tutorials, but if you go to [url]http://www.cpp-home.com[/url] you could probably find heaps of good tutorials...

during my TAFE course I used the MinGW C++ compiler, which is also command line, and like you wanted something more visual...Bloodshed Dev C++ is free and is based on the MinGW compiler, download it here [url]http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html[/url]

i think Visual C++ is what most commercial places use, you can pick up a copy of the latest version for about $200 i think...but don't quote me on it

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 17/01/04 - 10:35 PM Permalink

Hey Fluffy :)

If your interested in a well rounded programming books I would either suggest Games Programming All In One or Practical C++ Programming.

Parctical C++ is a good all around basic C++ book - its the O'Riley series with the animals on the front.

All In One gets into C++ as well as DirectX etc. There has been quite a bit of bad stuff said about this book (Premier Press) but I find it an ok book. You may find out along the way some of the stuff they have you work through may have errors in the code (theirs not yours).

You may also want to give http://www.gametutorials.com/ a peek. They seem to have some decent beginner tutorials.

Personally - I like the All In One because it explains as it goes through what and why - maybe not the best explanation to experienced programmers but to beginners its good!

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sun, 18/01/04 - 12:01 AM Permalink

Thanks guys, Ill have a look at these links, Hopefully I can get together some cash, I'll try and find those books. :)

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 14/02/04 - 1:31 AM Permalink

www.gamedev.net has some decent stuff for beginners, flipcode.com has some decent stuff for beginners / intermediate type programmers, and is more focused on university type people.

And yeah, MS Visual C++ is one damn good dev environment, although I personally prefer the 6.0 version, even though its a bit dated, which might meant that you could get it cheaper if you can find it though.

Forum

Well I took a c and c++ class in TAFE but I failed mainly due to not showing up and fucking around when I was there, well anyway, I still have the text book "Programming concepts 1&2 Turbo c version 3.0"
and I plan on making my way through that, but what I would also like is if anyone has any tutorials that I could use as well or anything that explains syntax and functions etc etc in great depth because one of my problems is that I had a hard time working out what I was meant to do because all the "stuff" that I was supposed to learn wasnt explained well (For me anyway), the only thing I understood was that a float is a decimal number an integer is a whole number a boolean was either a 1 or a 0 and thats about it.
Also are there any free compilers with a visual interface? So far I have the free version of borland c++ 5 and open watcom 1.2 which are both command line.

By the way I'm not looking to be a master programmer, I dont want to write my own graphics software or anything like that, maybe just the odd simple program or utility.

And If I happen to get somewhere with this, (In a years time or so) what is a good commercial compiler to buy, I'm thinking MSVC++, so how much would that be?

Submitted by Kane on Sat, 17/01/04 - 7:20 AM Permalink

hi...

just so you know, i done the Cert. 4 in IT (Programming) course at TAFE last year (2003)...

i don't have any tutorials, but if you go to [url]http://www.cpp-home.com[/url] you could probably find heaps of good tutorials...

during my TAFE course I used the MinGW C++ compiler, which is also command line, and like you wanted something more visual...Bloodshed Dev C++ is free and is based on the MinGW compiler, download it here [url]http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html[/url]

i think Visual C++ is what most commercial places use, you can pick up a copy of the latest version for about $200 i think...but don't quote me on it

Submitted by Jacana on Sat, 17/01/04 - 10:35 PM Permalink

Hey Fluffy :)

If your interested in a well rounded programming books I would either suggest Games Programming All In One or Practical C++ Programming.

Parctical C++ is a good all around basic C++ book - its the O'Riley series with the animals on the front.

All In One gets into C++ as well as DirectX etc. There has been quite a bit of bad stuff said about this book (Premier Press) but I find it an ok book. You may find out along the way some of the stuff they have you work through may have errors in the code (theirs not yours).

You may also want to give http://www.gametutorials.com/ a peek. They seem to have some decent beginner tutorials.

Personally - I like the All In One because it explains as it goes through what and why - maybe not the best explanation to experienced programmers but to beginners its good!

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sun, 18/01/04 - 12:01 AM Permalink

Thanks guys, Ill have a look at these links, Hopefully I can get together some cash, I'll try and find those books. :)

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 14/02/04 - 1:31 AM Permalink

www.gamedev.net has some decent stuff for beginners, flipcode.com has some decent stuff for beginners / intermediate type programmers, and is more focused on university type people.

And yeah, MS Visual C++ is one damn good dev environment, although I personally prefer the 6.0 version, even though its a bit dated, which might meant that you could get it cheaper if you can find it though.