Skip to main content

"Game Over" for Lorne Lanning

Submitted by Brain on
Forum

Found this to be an interesting read. Not something alot of game dev houses out there could actually do. Bit harsh for the game studio workers, potentially.

http://www.thehollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/video_games_display.jsp…

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 19/04/05 - 8:34 PM Permalink

It's a pretty interesting article. From the sounds of it, making an animated film will be cheaper than making a game in the near future. It would also be easier because you only have to craft a single storyline and then storyboard and animate it instead of doing all that extra fangled coding and design stuff.

I just hope that indie games become as good, so far the biggest problem for them has been market penetration and actually finishing the damn things (how many of you know projects online that have never been finished?). Anyways, I guess I should take a look at some indie games and consider purchasing them sometime.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 20/04/05 - 12:23 AM Permalink

Lanning has got some excellent points in that interview. Definately worth a read.

After reading all this on other news articles, I had the sinking feeling that this is just the beginning of these kind of stories. All the blame seems to lead right to the publishers and their grip on the industry. New distribution models, and peoples acceptance of them, is going to be needed...

Submitted by Phish on Wed, 20/04/05 - 4:07 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

All the blame seems to lead right to the publishers and their grip on the industry. New distribution models, and peoples acceptance of them, is going to be needed...

Valve's Steam system is a perfect example of different distribution methods. Although, publishers arn't all about distribution, they're often a primary funding source as well.. Not every team can fund their own project.

Thanks for the link [:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 20/04/05 - 8:02 AM Permalink

Definately some valid points in that article.

I hate to be the devil - but all this noise about developers having a hard time with making any profit etc is really starting to be tedious. I'm of the strong oppinion that if developers choose to be raped in a publishing deal then tough tim tams.

I have so much to say on this topic I wont bore anyone here with my almost daily writing of thoughts on it.

The short end is basically this. We are the developers. Take us away and there is no game. If you dont realise the power in this - bend over and take the pain with a smile.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 20/04/05 - 8:12 AM Permalink

I am intrigued by your opinions and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

(ie : are you blogging any of these writings?)

Posted by Brain on
Forum

Found this to be an interesting read. Not something alot of game dev houses out there could actually do. Bit harsh for the game studio workers, potentially.

http://www.thehollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/video_games_display.jsp…

Submitted by Daemin on Tue, 19/04/05 - 8:34 PM Permalink

It's a pretty interesting article. From the sounds of it, making an animated film will be cheaper than making a game in the near future. It would also be easier because you only have to craft a single storyline and then storyboard and animate it instead of doing all that extra fangled coding and design stuff.

I just hope that indie games become as good, so far the biggest problem for them has been market penetration and actually finishing the damn things (how many of you know projects online that have never been finished?). Anyways, I guess I should take a look at some indie games and consider purchasing them sometime.

Submitted by souri on Wed, 20/04/05 - 12:23 AM Permalink

Lanning has got some excellent points in that interview. Definately worth a read.

After reading all this on other news articles, I had the sinking feeling that this is just the beginning of these kind of stories. All the blame seems to lead right to the publishers and their grip on the industry. New distribution models, and peoples acceptance of them, is going to be needed...

Submitted by Phish on Wed, 20/04/05 - 4:07 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Souri

All the blame seems to lead right to the publishers and their grip on the industry. New distribution models, and peoples acceptance of them, is going to be needed...

Valve's Steam system is a perfect example of different distribution methods. Although, publishers arn't all about distribution, they're often a primary funding source as well.. Not every team can fund their own project.

Thanks for the link [:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 20/04/05 - 8:02 AM Permalink

Definately some valid points in that article.

I hate to be the devil - but all this noise about developers having a hard time with making any profit etc is really starting to be tedious. I'm of the strong oppinion that if developers choose to be raped in a publishing deal then tough tim tams.

I have so much to say on this topic I wont bore anyone here with my almost daily writing of thoughts on it.

The short end is basically this. We are the developers. Take us away and there is no game. If you dont realise the power in this - bend over and take the pain with a smile.

Submitted by mcdrewski on Wed, 20/04/05 - 8:12 AM Permalink

I am intrigued by your opinions and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

(ie : are you blogging any of these writings?)