Skip to main content

OpenGL 2.0

Submitted by dom on
Forum

I've been an OpenGL coder a while ago. But I haven't kept up with 3D programming for over 2 years now. I want to get back in to OpenGL coding, particulary with OpenGL 2.0. Is anyone here who used the OpenGL 2.0 spec before? How does it compare with D3D? Should I bother with OpenGL 1.5 backwards compatibility, or shall get straight into 2.0? Will there be a solid support for OpenGL 2.0 across different platforms in the future, like on Win32, Linux, PS2/PS3, GameCube? Where can I get headers and libs for v2.0? I know 3DLabs has some, but are there other sources?

Thanks! :)

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 21/02/04 - 11:04 AM Permalink

AFAIK there is no real OpenGL 2.0 implementation out yet, so far I think its just still in development and only a half revised bunch of documents...

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 21/02/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

I would also suggest don't expect windows to ever ship with an openGL 2.0 implementation...
I think Linux will be your only platform that will ship with it...for the others you would probably need to get the library from a third party source.
CYer, Blitz

Posted by dom on
Forum

I've been an OpenGL coder a while ago. But I haven't kept up with 3D programming for over 2 years now. I want to get back in to OpenGL coding, particulary with OpenGL 2.0. Is anyone here who used the OpenGL 2.0 spec before? How does it compare with D3D? Should I bother with OpenGL 1.5 backwards compatibility, or shall get straight into 2.0? Will there be a solid support for OpenGL 2.0 across different platforms in the future, like on Win32, Linux, PS2/PS3, GameCube? Where can I get headers and libs for v2.0? I know 3DLabs has some, but are there other sources?

Thanks! :)

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 21/02/04 - 11:04 AM Permalink

AFAIK there is no real OpenGL 2.0 implementation out yet, so far I think its just still in development and only a half revised bunch of documents...

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 21/02/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

I would also suggest don't expect windows to ever ship with an openGL 2.0 implementation...
I think Linux will be your only platform that will ship with it...for the others you would probably need to get the library from a third party source.
CYer, Blitz