Skip to main content

WIN32 or .NET

Submitted by Kane on
Forum

hi all...

i want to start programming windows apps in C++ but I am unsure what to learn to do this...should I learn Win32 first then .NET or skip straight to .NET?

also, if Win32 is the way to go, what books can I get to learn from? and is a book on Win32 published in 2001 out of date, or would it be ok to learn from?

thankses!

Submitted by CombatWombat on Sun, 23/11/03 - 9:47 AM Permalink

For games, my advice would be don't touch .NET - you're always going to want speed, and currently using C++ is the sweet spot on the ease-of-use/performance curve - it used to be assembly, it'll probably move away from C++ in 5-10 years, but the pragmatic choice is currently C++ - no pun intended [;)] I'd also suggest that you avoid MFC for games if at all possible too.

There's very little platform dependent (ie win32 specific) code required to write a game, typically it's just open a window, set up whatever 3D API you're using, and grab messages from the OS.

A book published in 2001 should be fine - you might also like to install the M$ Platform SDK from:

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/

It has a very extensive reference library.

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 24/11/03 - 5:56 AM Permalink

excellent...

thanks for the info...

Posted by Kane on
Forum

hi all...

i want to start programming windows apps in C++ but I am unsure what to learn to do this...should I learn Win32 first then .NET or skip straight to .NET?

also, if Win32 is the way to go, what books can I get to learn from? and is a book on Win32 published in 2001 out of date, or would it be ok to learn from?

thankses!

Submitted by CombatWombat on Sun, 23/11/03 - 9:47 AM Permalink

For games, my advice would be don't touch .NET - you're always going to want speed, and currently using C++ is the sweet spot on the ease-of-use/performance curve - it used to be assembly, it'll probably move away from C++ in 5-10 years, but the pragmatic choice is currently C++ - no pun intended [;)] I'd also suggest that you avoid MFC for games if at all possible too.

There's very little platform dependent (ie win32 specific) code required to write a game, typically it's just open a window, set up whatever 3D API you're using, and grab messages from the OS.

A book published in 2001 should be fine - you might also like to install the M$ Platform SDK from:

http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/

It has a very extensive reference library.

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 24/11/03 - 5:56 AM Permalink

excellent...

thanks for the info...