Some of you may be aware of the gamedev meetups that occur each month (http://gamedev.meetup.com/). It seems to me that while these are a good start, a lot more could come out of something like this. IMHO we also need something more to sustain the considerable momentum from FreePlay for the independent developer community.
The problems I see with the gamedev meetup are:
* no scope for negotiating day/time (it is set at Tuesday 8pm, monthly)
* hard to communicate with other people via the site
* limited scope for negotiating venue
One can pay to join meetup plus, which partially solves the last two problems.
My suggestion is that instead of (or as an adjunct to), we:
* Create a "Sumea Meets" (or SumeaT like that :) forum under General
* Select an organiser for each city
* Have some discussion about when/where/what frequency would be most suitable for people in that city
* Get the organiser to arrange meets on the selected day
* Pimp the sumea meets with the limited discussion capabilities that meetup.com has
The advantages of this scheme, as I see them, are:
* create a greater sense of community around the meets
* centralise the community about sumea
* allow discussions and networking to take place following each meet without needing to exchange email addys etc
I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on the above, and also to get a show of hands for the level of interest in various cities.
I'd be happy to organise the Melbourne ones if noone else wants to take this role.