Skip to main content

1000 Xbox 360 Demo units in Australia

Submitted by Yug on
Forum

I saw this on cnet the other day:
[url]http://www.cnet.com.au/games/xbox/0,39029621,40059741,00.htm[/url]

Does anyone know if this will be affected by the pushback of the 360 launch date? Or specifically when these demo units will be arriving and available to play in which stores?

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 28/01/06 - 3:05 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Yug

Does anyone know if this will be affected by the pushback of the 360 launch date? Or specifically when these demo units will be arriving and available to play in which stores?

This is the email I got from xbox vip:
quote:
The Australian and New Zealand Xbox 360 launch has been pushed back to the new proposed launch date of March 23 at 12:01am. I can assure you we went to great lengths to secure consoles for the region on the initial date of March 2; however, it recently became apparent that the date would need to be adjusted.

Globally our biggest challenge has been manufacturing enough Xbox 360 consoles to meet the incredibly strong demand for the product. As typical for a video game console launch of this magnitude, we faced some short term manufacturing issues due to component shortages stemming from challenges in ramping supply.

We believe that these challenges are short term in nature and have taken steps to resolve this in time for the new Australian and New Zealand launch. Next month we are bringing on a third manufacturing facility, Celestica, and expect to meet strong consumer demand in the near future.

The Xbox team is as disappointed by the delay as no doubt you are, as we believe the Xbox 360 will be one of the most exciting things to happen to gaming and home entertainment in ANZ.

Australian and New Zealand gamers are among the most loyal of Xbox supporters. It is therefore extremely important that we avoid any additional disappointment for gamers such as yourself in the lead-up to the launch. Because of this we are now concentrating our efforts during the coming months in two main areas.

The first area is working closely with manufacturing and distribution teams to ensure adequate day-one stocks and on-going supply. In addition to our new manufacturing partner, we're working at a local level to have adequate levels of Xbox 360 consoles at launch, and to regularly replenish stock in stores during the following weeks and months.

The second area we are focusing on is creating special gaming opportunities for our local Xbox fans before launch. We want to give you the chance to play the Xbox 360 yourself ahead of the revised launch date. In addition to putting demonstration units into participating retail stores in February, we're also in the process of finalizing additional opportunities for some of our valued customers. We will be announcing more during the coming weeks.

Finally, I want to let you know that we'll keep you informed about activities leading up to the launch date. You can receive this information via the Xbox 360 VIP desktop alerts, xbox.com.au or regularly reading any of the leading gaming sites and publications.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 04/02/06 - 11:57 AM Permalink

You know, I can't help but feel amused about the whole XBox 360 situation here.

We're getting them a whopping 6 months away since 'global launch', and apart from PGR3, there really isn't anything worth getting. When it does get launched locally, we might be facing game prices [url="http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=41635"]betweeen $130 and $150 here[/url]. [:D]

Submitted by Rohan on Sat, 04/02/06 - 8:29 PM Permalink

CoD2 looks good to me... So does PD0 and Kameo. And I don't like car games. We obviously like different games Souri [:P] Plus by the time it comes out here we'll have Gears of War, Full Auto and other games too. But yeah the pricing for games and all does suck. I don't see Sony faring any better anyway... Especially considering how well the XBox has done in Australia and that they're using a more expensive disk medium and the games are more expensive to develop from what I've heard. I'm gunna give it time and wait and see but saying a console is gunna suck before it comes out seems to be a silly comment to make.

Of course all of this is IMHO [:P]

Submitted by Caroo on Sat, 04/02/06 - 11:03 PM Permalink

!!!!! WTF $130-$150 !!!!!

Excuse my right to rag and rant but.. That?s friggen ridiculous!!!!

Most expensive game...excluding anything you'd wanna get on a neo-geo and e-bay was Turok for the N64. When that came out that was $120 for a few months.. And no one brought it ether. XD

To be honest guys. $99.95 is quite an investment for a game in itself and then you work out that the average western made game takes 20 hours at best to complete [I'm averaging 12 hours though] divide your game play hours by your cost of game.

Usually you'll find that ultimately your paying $3-6 dollars an hour to play that game.. There are always exceptions to those rules though. GTA3 games you can play ultimately for 100 hours.

None the less increasing the total price of the game by $50 is robbery.. If it's gonna be like this these new games better average their play hours to 30 to make up for it. Because they might have cutting edge graphics.. But if I end up with only 4-8 hours game play I?ll be going back to my SNES XD play some good ol U.N. Squadron.

Another thing I gotta ask. With $30-$50 added on to cover the cost of game develop budget and hardware/materials.. Do the development companies get a better cut of the share now. Or is this just purely the publishers doing?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 04/02/06 - 11:04 PM Permalink

Ive no interest in buying a 360 at the moment, i doubt i will for a long time. Im actually looking forward to the launch to push down the price of xbox games :D

Submitted by Rohan on Sat, 04/02/06 - 11:22 PM Permalink

That RRP is rubbish anyway I think you'll find... I've seen games available for preorder at EB for around the $99 mark for MS published games, and $109 for non MS published games. Probably some Sony or Nintendo fan trying to attract attention. I could be wrong but why would EB be advertising the wrong prices then?

Submitted by lorien on Sun, 05/02/06 - 12:16 AM Permalink

The point of getting a 360 is to try to hack it to run Linux and/or MacOS [;)]

Edit: not sure about legalities, but really what do MS expect people to want to do with these toys... Play games??? [:D]

Submitted by TheBigJ on Tue, 07/02/06 - 12:35 AM Permalink

$130 - $150 RRP? No way.

Somebody (ie. Microsoft) is putting that figure out there so we'll remain complacent when XBox 360 games are released at "only" $110 to $120.

AFAIK, games have seldom hit retail for more than $120, and few of those that took the $110 to $120 gamble paid off initially. That said, I did buy Mortal Kombat II (SNES) for $120 back in 1993.

IMO, anything over $100 is ridiculous. Games need to be cheaper, not more expensive.

Posted by Yug on
Forum

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 28/01/06 - 3:05 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Yug

This is the email I got from xbox vip:
quote:
The Australian and New Zealand Xbox 360 launch has been pushed back to the new proposed launch date of March 23 at 12:01am. I can assure you we went to great lengths to secure consoles for the region on the initial date of March 2; however, it recently became apparent that the date would need to be adjusted.

Globally our biggest challenge has been manufacturing enough Xbox 360 consoles to meet the incredibly strong demand for the product. As typical for a video game console launch of this magnitude, we faced some short term manufacturing issues due to component shortages stemming from challenges in ramping supply.

We believe that these challenges are short term in nature and have taken steps to resolve this in time for the new Australian and New Zealand launch. Next month we are bringing on a third manufacturing facility, Celestica, and expect to meet strong consumer demand in the near future.

The Xbox team is as disappointed by the delay as no doubt you are, as we believe the Xbox 360 will be one of the most exciting things to happen to gaming and home entertainment in ANZ.

Australian and New Zealand gamers are among the most loyal of Xbox supporters. It is therefore extremely important that we avoid any additional disappointment for gamers such as yourself in the lead-up to the launch. Because of this we are now concentrating our efforts during the coming months in two main areas.

The first area is working closely with manufacturing and distribution teams to ensure adequate day-one stocks and on-going supply. In addition to our new manufacturing partner, we're working at a local level to have adequate levels of Xbox 360 consoles at launch, and to regularly replenish stock in stores during the following weeks and months.

The second area we are focusing on is creating special gaming opportunities for our local Xbox fans before launch. We want to give you the chance to play the Xbox 360 yourself ahead of the revised launch date. In addition to putting demonstration units into participating retail stores in February, we're also in the process of finalizing additional opportunities for some of our valued customers. We will be announcing more during the coming weeks.

Finally, I want to let you know that we'll keep you informed about activities leading up to the launch date. You can receive this information via the Xbox 360 VIP desktop alerts, xbox.com.au or regularly reading any of the leading gaming sites and publications.

Submitted by souri on Sat, 04/02/06 - 11:57 AM Permalink

You know, I can't help but feel amused about the whole XBox 360 situation here.

We're getting them a whopping 6 months away since 'global launch', and apart from PGR3, there really isn't anything worth getting. When it does get launched locally, we might be facing game prices [url="http://www.xboxworld.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=41635"]betweeen $130 and $150 here[/url]. [:D]

Submitted by Rohan on Sat, 04/02/06 - 8:29 PM Permalink

CoD2 looks good to me... So does PD0 and Kameo. And I don't like car games. We obviously like different games Souri [:P] Plus by the time it comes out here we'll have Gears of War, Full Auto and other games too. But yeah the pricing for games and all does suck. I don't see Sony faring any better anyway... Especially considering how well the XBox has done in Australia and that they're using a more expensive disk medium and the games are more expensive to develop from what I've heard. I'm gunna give it time and wait and see but saying a console is gunna suck before it comes out seems to be a silly comment to make.

Of course all of this is IMHO [:P]

Submitted by Caroo on Sat, 04/02/06 - 11:03 PM Permalink

!!!!! WTF $130-$150 !!!!!

Excuse my right to rag and rant but.. That?s friggen ridiculous!!!!

Most expensive game...excluding anything you'd wanna get on a neo-geo and e-bay was Turok for the N64. When that came out that was $120 for a few months.. And no one brought it ether. XD

To be honest guys. $99.95 is quite an investment for a game in itself and then you work out that the average western made game takes 20 hours at best to complete [I'm averaging 12 hours though] divide your game play hours by your cost of game.

Usually you'll find that ultimately your paying $3-6 dollars an hour to play that game.. There are always exceptions to those rules though. GTA3 games you can play ultimately for 100 hours.

None the less increasing the total price of the game by $50 is robbery.. If it's gonna be like this these new games better average their play hours to 30 to make up for it. Because they might have cutting edge graphics.. But if I end up with only 4-8 hours game play I?ll be going back to my SNES XD play some good ol U.N. Squadron.

Another thing I gotta ask. With $30-$50 added on to cover the cost of game develop budget and hardware/materials.. Do the development companies get a better cut of the share now. Or is this just purely the publishers doing?

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 04/02/06 - 11:04 PM Permalink

Ive no interest in buying a 360 at the moment, i doubt i will for a long time. Im actually looking forward to the launch to push down the price of xbox games :D

Submitted by Rohan on Sat, 04/02/06 - 11:22 PM Permalink

That RRP is rubbish anyway I think you'll find... I've seen games available for preorder at EB for around the $99 mark for MS published games, and $109 for non MS published games. Probably some Sony or Nintendo fan trying to attract attention. I could be wrong but why would EB be advertising the wrong prices then?

Submitted by lorien on Sun, 05/02/06 - 12:16 AM Permalink

The point of getting a 360 is to try to hack it to run Linux and/or MacOS [;)]

Edit: not sure about legalities, but really what do MS expect people to want to do with these toys... Play games??? [:D]

Submitted by TheBigJ on Tue, 07/02/06 - 12:35 AM Permalink

$130 - $150 RRP? No way.

Somebody (ie. Microsoft) is putting that figure out there so we'll remain complacent when XBox 360 games are released at "only" $110 to $120.

AFAIK, games have seldom hit retail for more than $120, and few of those that took the $110 to $120 gamble paid off initially. That said, I did buy Mortal Kombat II (SNES) for $120 back in 1993.

IMO, anything over $100 is ridiculous. Games need to be cheaper, not more expensive.