Skip to main content

Next Sumea modeller challenge

Submitted by Pauli G on
Forum

Hi all,
I was just wondering if there has been any word on when the next modeller challenge will be?

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere else.

thx

Submitted by souri on Tue, 01/03/05 - 4:27 AM Permalink

I may have a new sponsor who's interested running a competition here, so I'm just waiting to see how that goes through before I set a definate date on a new Sumea challenge.

Submitted by Pauli G on Thu, 03/03/05 - 1:10 PM Permalink

ok thanks guys. I'm hoping the theme isnt directed at the mod. No offense to you guys or the mod, I just havent really been involved in it and it would give an unfair advantage to people who have.

Just my 2cents

I'm sure I'd enter anyway regardless of what the theme was [:D]

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 03/03/05 - 6:54 PM Permalink

good point, although I'm sure the judging will be based solely on the spec/criteria rather than needing any background on the mod.

Submitted by Tall Nick on Fri, 04/03/05 - 7:04 AM Permalink

From the modeler challenges I've seen they all relate around making models for unreal, and quake type games.
Has anyone had the thought of designing a Challenge around a PSP or DS game?
Basically challenging people to model with a very small amount of poly's and textures.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 04/03/05 - 7:39 AM Permalink

We?ve done non unreal/quake challenges. Challenge 5 was to make something for aimed at the 6-12 year old market. [url]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1363[/url]

Like most people, at the end of the day I don?t really mind what we do. I just think the main thing is to do something that closely represents what a professional modeller might be working on in the industry. Something to improve industry appropriate skills.

If not mod related, my vote is for mecha! [:D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 04/03/05 - 10:03 AM Permalink

Then I strongly suggest Normal Mapping, its already been in use for 18 months + in the industry. But if we are to stick with something mod related that pretty much slays that idea - or we could leave the normal maps off and whack the textured models into the game.

Posted by Pauli G on
Forum

Hi all,
I was just wondering if there has been any word on when the next modeller challenge will be?

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere else.

thx

Submitted by souri on Tue, 01/03/05 - 4:27 AM Permalink

I may have a new sponsor who's interested running a competition here, so I'm just waiting to see how that goes through before I set a definate date on a new Sumea challenge.

Submitted by Pauli G on Thu, 03/03/05 - 1:10 PM Permalink

ok thanks guys. I'm hoping the theme isnt directed at the mod. No offense to you guys or the mod, I just havent really been involved in it and it would give an unfair advantage to people who have.

Just my 2cents

I'm sure I'd enter anyway regardless of what the theme was [:D]

Submitted by mcdrewski on Thu, 03/03/05 - 6:54 PM Permalink

good point, although I'm sure the judging will be based solely on the spec/criteria rather than needing any background on the mod.

Submitted by Tall Nick on Fri, 04/03/05 - 7:04 AM Permalink

From the modeler challenges I've seen they all relate around making models for unreal, and quake type games.
Has anyone had the thought of designing a Challenge around a PSP or DS game?
Basically challenging people to model with a very small amount of poly's and textures.

Submitted by palantir on Fri, 04/03/05 - 7:39 AM Permalink

We?ve done non unreal/quake challenges. Challenge 5 was to make something for aimed at the 6-12 year old market. [url]http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1363[/url]

Like most people, at the end of the day I don?t really mind what we do. I just think the main thing is to do something that closely represents what a professional modeller might be working on in the industry. Something to improve industry appropriate skills.

If not mod related, my vote is for mecha! [:D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 04/03/05 - 10:03 AM Permalink

Then I strongly suggest Normal Mapping, its already been in use for 18 months + in the industry. But if we are to stick with something mod related that pretty much slays that idea - or we could leave the normal maps off and whack the textured models into the game.