Skip to main content

Alien Quadrilogy *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Submitted by Aven on
Forum

I just bought the Alien Quadrilogy set the other day, and started watching it yesterday. I am now through three of the four movies and am yet to get the bonus features. I was just wondering if anyone else has it and what they think. The new edition of Alien3 is great. I should let it be known that I am not as critical of 3 as what most people are. Hell, I thought it was better than Resurection :) I read the novelisation before I saw the movie, and was annoyed that the alien all of sudden came from a dog and not a cattle like creature. The new directors cut fixes that. They also extended a few scenes that really helped to build the characters. It is really good to see them add those in. The ending is also different to the original version and the novel. Well I'm off to start filtering through the Specials and then maybe watch Res... One day :contempt cough:

Submitted by souri on Thu, 01/01/04 - 11:48 PM Permalink

I didn't think Alien Resurrection was toooo bad. It's still watchable (I usually watch it for the set designs though), but it's definately the weakest out of the four. I wish they had done something different than "run through carrier, escape with small ship, blast big alien out into space". I thought Alien 3 was pretty good. It's just that it came after two brilliant movies, so it never really stood a chance. Anyway, I have the Legacy set, so I can't comment on all the new editions and extras you've seen *grumble*..

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 02/01/04 - 3:46 AM Permalink

My three biggest gripes with Alien Res are: 1. Joss Whedon wrote it. Come on this guys biggest call to fame is buffy. Enough Said. He made it too damn bright and all the dialogue is week as shit. Every time Johner opens his mouth, his character loses more and more credit. Like Storm in X-Men1. 2. Fox decided to do a screw job to H.R. Giger and say that he never even designed the aliens. Who the hell are they kidding? Anyone who has seen his work knows that he is the aliens. The lack of his designs showed up with that alien hybrid and the 'reject' Ripleys. 3. The acting was pretty pathetic on the whole. The best evidence of this is at the beginning when General Perez is talking about the new Ripley. That piece of acting was just horrible :/ The most odd thing is that Sigourney Weaver doesn't do any commentary. They even have Newt doing commentary. The thing that makes it even more odd is that she co-produced all the films as well. Overall Souri, the Quadrilogy is very worth it as the Legacy set didn't have too much in the way of makings of right? Plus the DC of Alien3 is cool :D

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 02/01/04 - 5:01 AM Permalink

i might go and hire them out today..refresh my memory. it been quite sometime since i watched them.

Resurrection is the one where the white alien gets sucked out into space through a hole in the window correct??

Submitted by jwalduck on Thu, 08/01/04 - 8:38 PM Permalink

When I saw Resurection in the cinema for the first time, and every time I have seen it since, I wish that instead of finding the room with the failed Ripley experiments they found a room of successful Ripley experiments... Image the crew mates walking around with Ripley #7 (from her tatoo) and walking into a room with six identical Ripleys all moving with that scary, silent hive mind coordination that the aliens have... and then the crew realise that when they walked in the room #7 is behind them...

I actually like quite a few movies that are generally considered bad because I have a tendancy to see the movie that could have been, the potential of concepts or imagry that was not quite in the movie as shown.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 09/01/04 - 9:05 AM Permalink

I agree what Alien: Resurrection was definately more light hearted than the others. General Perez was pretty much a buffoon. The part where the alien punched the whole in the back of his head, which he pulled some brain matter out of to look at, was just comical - and most likely not the effect the writer had wanted. It's not looking good for the Alien franchise. Scott Ridley isn't doing #5, James Cameron has showed some interest in it but nothing has been heard since, and the Alien vs Predator movie that's in production now has a pretty bad script from those who have seen it.

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 09/01/04 - 10:05 AM Permalink

Alien Vs Predator was always doomed from the begining. It started with the original script that was based on the first novel (awesome story), but the budget needed would have been fairly extreme. They put it on hold to make Alien Res in a hopes that it would generate enough funding. For some reason when the idea of an Alien Vs Predator movie resurfaced it was being directed by the guy who did Resident Evil (can't remember his name off the top of my head), and the official short description of it sounded piss weak. It is a pity as that could be one seriously kick arse flick opertunity :( I was just pretty anoyed with Res as they really should have left Ripley dead and gone into extended universe. Imagine Alien: Genocide as a movie :D For those who have never read it, it involves the harvesting of Alien Queen jelly to make a really psychotic drug. They travel to an Alien hive world and there are two Alien colonies battling it out :D

Posted by Aven on
Forum

I just bought the Alien Quadrilogy set the other day, and started watching it yesterday. I am now through three of the four movies and am yet to get the bonus features. I was just wondering if anyone else has it and what they think. The new edition of Alien3 is great. I should let it be known that I am not as critical of 3 as what most people are. Hell, I thought it was better than Resurection :) I read the novelisation before I saw the movie, and was annoyed that the alien all of sudden came from a dog and not a cattle like creature. The new directors cut fixes that. They also extended a few scenes that really helped to build the characters. It is really good to see them add those in. The ending is also different to the original version and the novel. Well I'm off to start filtering through the Specials and then maybe watch Res... One day :contempt cough:

Submitted by souri on Thu, 01/01/04 - 11:48 PM Permalink

I didn't think Alien Resurrection was toooo bad. It's still watchable (I usually watch it for the set designs though), but it's definately the weakest out of the four. I wish they had done something different than "run through carrier, escape with small ship, blast big alien out into space". I thought Alien 3 was pretty good. It's just that it came after two brilliant movies, so it never really stood a chance. Anyway, I have the Legacy set, so I can't comment on all the new editions and extras you've seen *grumble*..

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 02/01/04 - 3:46 AM Permalink

My three biggest gripes with Alien Res are: 1. Joss Whedon wrote it. Come on this guys biggest call to fame is buffy. Enough Said. He made it too damn bright and all the dialogue is week as shit. Every time Johner opens his mouth, his character loses more and more credit. Like Storm in X-Men1. 2. Fox decided to do a screw job to H.R. Giger and say that he never even designed the aliens. Who the hell are they kidding? Anyone who has seen his work knows that he is the aliens. The lack of his designs showed up with that alien hybrid and the 'reject' Ripleys. 3. The acting was pretty pathetic on the whole. The best evidence of this is at the beginning when General Perez is talking about the new Ripley. That piece of acting was just horrible :/ The most odd thing is that Sigourney Weaver doesn't do any commentary. They even have Newt doing commentary. The thing that makes it even more odd is that she co-produced all the films as well. Overall Souri, the Quadrilogy is very worth it as the Legacy set didn't have too much in the way of makings of right? Plus the DC of Alien3 is cool :D

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 02/01/04 - 5:01 AM Permalink

i might go and hire them out today..refresh my memory. it been quite sometime since i watched them.

Resurrection is the one where the white alien gets sucked out into space through a hole in the window correct??

Submitted by jwalduck on Thu, 08/01/04 - 8:38 PM Permalink

When I saw Resurection in the cinema for the first time, and every time I have seen it since, I wish that instead of finding the room with the failed Ripley experiments they found a room of successful Ripley experiments... Image the crew mates walking around with Ripley #7 (from her tatoo) and walking into a room with six identical Ripleys all moving with that scary, silent hive mind coordination that the aliens have... and then the crew realise that when they walked in the room #7 is behind them...

I actually like quite a few movies that are generally considered bad because I have a tendancy to see the movie that could have been, the potential of concepts or imagry that was not quite in the movie as shown.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 09/01/04 - 9:05 AM Permalink

I agree what Alien: Resurrection was definately more light hearted than the others. General Perez was pretty much a buffoon. The part where the alien punched the whole in the back of his head, which he pulled some brain matter out of to look at, was just comical - and most likely not the effect the writer had wanted. It's not looking good for the Alien franchise. Scott Ridley isn't doing #5, James Cameron has showed some interest in it but nothing has been heard since, and the Alien vs Predator movie that's in production now has a pretty bad script from those who have seen it.

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 09/01/04 - 10:05 AM Permalink

Alien Vs Predator was always doomed from the begining. It started with the original script that was based on the first novel (awesome story), but the budget needed would have been fairly extreme. They put it on hold to make Alien Res in a hopes that it would generate enough funding. For some reason when the idea of an Alien Vs Predator movie resurfaced it was being directed by the guy who did Resident Evil (can't remember his name off the top of my head), and the official short description of it sounded piss weak. It is a pity as that could be one seriously kick arse flick opertunity :( I was just pretty anoyed with Res as they really should have left Ripley dead and gone into extended universe. Imagine Alien: Genocide as a movie :D For those who have never read it, it involves the harvesting of Alien Queen jelly to make a really psychotic drug. They travel to an Alien hive world and there are two Alien colonies battling it out :D