Who is mod.io?
mod.io is the world’s most trusted platform for the creation and discovery of fully cross-platform User-Generated Content (UGC) and mods in video games. We have just been recognised as one of 25 Game Changers for 2024 from a list of over 1000 submissions.
Many of the industries most innovative and successful games have UGC at their core. We’re talking about Counter-Strike, DotA, and PUBG. These games have become house-hold names and that same innovation is what drives us. We are a fast-growing, early-stage startup, backed by leading video game venture capital firms including LEGO Ventures, Tencent, and Makers Fund.
Our mission is to connect game studios and publishers with their communities by harnessing the power of UGC. And we’re doing it; our platform is embedded in over 150 games, including some of the biggest and best games in the world. Games like Deep Rock Galactic, Snowrunner, and Dying Light 2, and we support over six-and-a-half-million monthly users.
What is the role?
We are looking for a Unreal Engine Customer Success Engineer to join our team and partner with game studios around the world to help them integrate the mod.io platform into their game using our UE Plugin. The UE Plugin provides a simple interface for the SDK to be used in Unreal Engine, and includes blueprints and engine-specific modifications.
- Act as the subject matter expert and technical mentor internally, and for game studios around the world integrating our UE plugin into their game
- Ensure a quick, easy and successful onboarding experience, from the first technical enquiries through to being live in game
- Help design and build pre-sales tools including demos, examples, samples and documentation, that demonstrate the value of the mod.io platform
- Attend pre-sales meetings to understand game studio needs, explain how mod.io can meet these needs from a technical perspective, perform demos and answer any technical questions
- Partner with game developers to help them onboard: answer technical questions async via Slack and Discord, pair with their engineers, facilitate working sessions, and develop the right documentation to ensure studio success
- Solve technical problems for Game Studios by developing or modifying features in the UE plugin
- Create a defensive, robust solution that fails gracefully, caches smartly to minimize API calls and provides useful logging to allow developers to debug.
- Test and implement your design on Linux, Mac, Windows, consoles, mobile and VR to create a cross-platform solution.
- Keep your house clean, your code will be open sourced on GitHub and must be well documented for our community to fork and adapt as they need.
- Track, support, and communicate game studio progress and help them achieve their integration goals.
- Enable product improvements by explaining how Game Studios are using mod.io to our engineering, product and sales teams and by adding ideas into our product backlog
- Advise existing customers about upcoming features and releases
- Mentor our engineers, sales team and marketing team to increase technical knowledge of the UE plugin
- Deliver an exceptional experience to our prospects and customers
Why work at mod.io?
We’re very ambitious in what we want to achieve as a company, and we work closely together to achieve our goals.
- We’re transparent and honest, and our focus is on getting things done in the most efficient way possible - if something is slowing us down, we want to know about it and fix it.
- We’re a small team with 40 people globally. This means there are always opportunities both to shape your role and also how we do things.
- We offer maximum flexibility - you can work hours based on your location and choose where you work - work from home (WFH) or away (any location), or enjoy the perks of our brand new office in Prahran if you’re in Melbourne.
- We provide a competitive salary and equity in the company
- We value the career development of our people; we look to hire within when opportunities arise, and provide mentorship and support for all our team.
- We’re very proud that we have a safe, transparent working environment where everyone is welcome, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply for jobs with us.
- Salary range of $100,000 - $150,000 AUD.
What are we looking for in candidates?
For this role, we need a customer-focused engineer, who can work with game developers from around the world to help them effortlessly integrate the mod.io platform.
We are looking for:
- 3+ years of experience in game programming - you understand what it takes to design, build and launch a video game to market, ideally you have built and released your own games
- 3+ years of experience working with Unreal Engine - you have a deep knowledge of UE 4.x and UE 5.x and can architect and engineer solutions in the UE plugin as needed to support onboarding game studios
- 2+ years of C++ experience
- A basic understanding of HTTP Requests and cross-platform development requirements
- Experience working directly with customers in a technical role (technical subject matter expert or customer engagement role)
- Demonstrated ability to deliver an experience that makes Game Studios feel like we are part of their development team, not an external third party
- Demonstrated ability to quickly build rapport and trust, and to show your technical expertise
- You bring your curiosity, collaboration and technical skills to help others achieve success
- You understand customer needs and can quickly and effectively answer very specific, detailed, technical questions
- You work effectively in a team using task-management software
- You have an excitement to dig in and experiment, with real attention to detail.
It would be awesome if you also have:
- Implemented for SteamWorks, GOG Galaxy, or a current-gen console.
- A passion for video games and an understanding of the unique challenges UGC presents us and similar businesses like Youtube and Steam.
- Knowledge of languages other than English
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience with ClickUp/Trello or similar project management tools
- Experience with PagerDuty or similar alerting/reporting tools
- Experience with Google Suite
How do I apply?
This is a full time role. You can work remotely or from our office in Prahran, which is near Melbourne in Victoria, Australia.
If you fit the criteria and the job description sounds exciting, then please click here and provide:
- Your CV
- A cover letter outlining how you meet the criteria
If you don’t think you’re right for this role, but you’d love a role at mod.io, please fill in our Expression of Interest form.