Skip to main content

Tutorial CD/DVD Compilation Plan

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I have to say, the tutorials on the Special Edition of Unreal Tournament 2004 are *absoutely* brilliant. I'm quite impressed with the video tutorials. The people doing them definately know what they're talking about, and you learn so much more and easily just by watching them clicking around the interface and explaining as they go. I've never used Maya before, but there were a fair introductory tutorials on the dvd which explained a lot of things and has me very interested in Maya!

The video tutorials done by the people at [url="http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/3dbuzz_FAQ.php"]3D Buzz[/url], and they have plenty of these 'Video Training Modules' for download free on their website (all you have to do is register). You can register as a member and get them sent to you on a cd but apparantely that takes a while since "3DBuzz has one of the biggest memberbases of any site on the web. With over 30,000 members now, and more people joining everyday (and with only one person to do all the burning, labeling, and mailing)."

Where am I going with this? Well, I'm thinking perhaps we should get our collective acts together and download all these tutorials from 3DBuzz and any other useful free tutorials around. We'll send what we have to a nominated person to compile the lot on dvd or cd and then burn the lot for those who contributed in downloading.

Of course, if anyone else is interested in a copy, I'm sure it can be sent for a nominal charge for postage and blank dvd/cd. It's my understanding that these tutorials are freely downloadable and can be distributed without profit (if you find anything different, let me know). I really think something like this would benefit *everyone* here, so what do you think?!

** ok, I just had a look at the download page, and there seems to be so much stuff there. It might be possible to get them if there are a lot of people here on cable/fast connections, but I'm probably being a bit optimistic (it would require the generosity of high speed users here [:D]. I'm sure there are gigs and gigs worth of tutorials). There's tonnes of great stuff there, from Maya, XSI, 3DSMax through to Concept Art, HumanIk, and Photoshop. Probably worth looking into purchasing them all if there is an option.

Great! We have 7 contributors (including myself). If there are more people willing to downloada an issue or 2, let me know! You'll get back a multitude more in return for your efforts, trust me

ZBrush - Issue 1 (Inglis has Basic Overview from Issue1)
Maya - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2(Inglis has)
3dsmax - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2(Inglis has), Issue 3(Bullet21 has), Issue 4(Bullet21 has - missing chapter 4 eyes, maybe Stu can send), Issue 5 (Stu has)

XSI - Issue 1 (Inglis has)
PHP & MySQL - Issue 1 (Inglis has), Issue 2
Photoshop 7.0 - Issue 1 (Inglis has)
Quake III Game Design - Issue 1 (Inglis has)
Unreal Tournament Game Design - Issue 1
MOTIONBUILDER - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2, Issue 3, Issue 4, Issue 5
Houdini - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2, Issue 3
Combustion - Issue 1
UT2003 Game Design - Issue 1, Issue 2, Issue 3, Issue 4, Issue 5, Issue 6, Issue 7
Creating Concept Art - Issue 1, Issue 2
HumanIK - (it gets a bit funny with issue numbers here)

Lightwave - Issue1
Gamespace - Issue1(Bullet21 has)
Unreal Tech - (Inglis has Introduction to UnrealEd from Issue1)

I have Maya Fundamentals..
01 - Maya PLE - Intro
02 - Maya Modeling Basic
03 - Maya Animation

X5 is sending in:
HumanIK Issue 1
Concept Art Design Issue 1
Concept Art Design Issue 2
PHP & MySQL Integration Issue 2

So anyway, I'll update this list on who has what, what shouldn't we bother with (e.g Quake III Game Design) and for the people who volunteered to nominate certain issues to download. Some things we might have to skip like the Unreal Tournament 2003 stuff since I have 2004 relevant vtms.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 10/06/04 - 5:26 AM Permalink

So did your try it out and make sure it worked?
im just concerned because, it had no case.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 11/06/04 - 5:26 AM Permalink

Yep, works fine [:)]

Submitted by X5 on Mon, 14/06/04 - 11:38 PM Permalink

ok so i finally got around to getting the extra vtms .. thank god for long weekends.

ive got:
HumanIK Issue 1

and ill send them soon ... ive also got a few other videos (tutorials) like the character tutorial by ben mathis (poopinmymounth) and the paramilitary punk video (got that 1 from polycount)..maybe if u Souri contatced these ppl they would let us include them aswell.

might wanna update the list of videos needed

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/06/04 - 9:26 AM Permalink

Hey, that's great!

quote:and ill send them soon ... ive also got a few other videos (tutorials) like the character tutorial by ben mathis (poopinmymounth) and the paramilitary punk video (got that 1 from polycount)..maybe if u Souri contatced these ppl they would let us include them aswell.

Are those videos freely distributable/downloadable off the net?

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 22/06/04 - 6:21 AM Permalink

I'm not sure if i got a star or if they aren't usin the star system anymore, but i can access every video, is it just me?

Edit: never mind, i just got my Stra [8D][:D][:)]

Submitted by souri on Fri, 25/06/04 - 3:03 AM Permalink

Well, seeing as they're freely downloadable off the net, I don't see any problem with us adding it to the compilation and passing it to the few of us contributing.. did any of you guys (apart from Bullet21) send anything yet?

Submitted by X5 on Sun, 27/06/04 - 1:18 AM Permalink

i will be sending mine sometime over the weekend .. the videos r all burnt and ready to send

also included some ut2k3 dev stuff i dled off of fileplanet awhile back ... it includes character rigs & animations and some weapon anims from the game devastation

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 27/06/04 - 4:34 AM Permalink

comon all you other lazy talkers, send it all ready.

Submitted by Stu on Mon, 28/06/04 - 9:03 AM Permalink

Hey Souri I sent mine about a week ago did you get them?

Stu

Submitted by souri on Mon, 28/06/04 - 3:06 PM Permalink

I haven't received them but I will check tomorrow.

Submitted by X5 on Tue, 29/06/04 - 4:35 AM Permalink

mine were sent today Monday 28th

Submitted by rajee on Thu, 01/07/04 - 3:24 AM Permalink

Hi Inglis

Is it possible to upload the vtms???I've got all max and combustion one and looking for maya issue 2.

rajee

Submitted by souri on Fri, 02/07/04 - 10:53 AM Permalink

Ok, I received a package which I am assuming is from X5? (One of the cd covers was clear purple). Still waiting on the rest of you!

Submitted by X5 on Sat, 03/07/04 - 5:26 AM Permalink

yer a small package with some of that packing stuff 2 cd cases with 4 cds

so what is still to be downloaded / recieved ??

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 03/07/04 - 7:37 PM Permalink

I have a feeling that this tutorial thing, might become like sumea pixeltown ;)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 06/07/04 - 1:25 PM Permalink

I will do another round of chasing up soon [:(]

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 15/07/04 - 5:43 AM Permalink

Im mailing the CDs to you tomorrow Souri.

Sorry for the delay.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 15/07/04 - 9:39 AM Permalink

Excellant! Thanks.. really do appreciate it.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 16/07/04 - 1:40 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Stu

Stu

Ok, I haven't received yours yet, Stu! Wondering what's happening [:(].. Inglis says he's sending his, so once we get Stu's and Inglis's stuff, I'll compile the lot and send you all the dvd! (I'll be contacting you for your postal address once we're ready to go.)

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 16/07/04 - 5:53 PM Permalink

We dont have all of them yet do we, i though there were like seven contributors.

Submitted by Stu on Fri, 16/07/04 - 11:27 PM Permalink

Hey Souri I might send them again. You should have gotten them by now.

Submitted by Kane on Sat, 17/07/04 - 12:01 AM Permalink

hey Souri, any chance I could get one too? how much are they?

Submitted by X5 on Sat, 17/07/04 - 1:31 AM Permalink

r there still more to dl .. cause i might be able to spare some BW this month ... and ill get em out quick smart this time (if ne more hav to b dled)

Submitted by souri on Sat, 17/07/04 - 1:40 AM Permalink

You can try and find what's missing in the list on the first page of this thread, or you can help me download the rest of the 3dsmax 6 trial tutorials..

ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/3dsmax6/demo_software/3dsmax6_Refe…
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/3dsmax6/demo_software/Games_profes…
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/3dsmax6/demo_software/Character_An…
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/3dsmax6/demo_software/mental_ray_t…
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/3dsmax6/demo_software/reactor_tuto…
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/3dsmax6/demo_software/shockwave3d_…

let me know which ones you're downloading...

Kane, I'll send you the compilation.. For anyone else, I might consider it if you're a regular to the forum (and only for just a few more people! I don't wanna end up shelling out too much for this! Souri go broke [:(])..

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 17/07/04 - 9:40 PM Permalink

ive got something thats no so much a tutorial but a demo, but its just one thing so ill download ALL of the above :)

oh btw the demo is for texturing, its a guy making a texture of hellboys face from start to finish in photoshop.

EDIT: oky doky i have all downloaded so my list is now:
3dsmax6_Reference
Games_professional_tutorials
Character_Animation_professional_tutorials
mental_ray_tutorials
reactor_tutorials
shockwave3d_tutorials
Helboy texture tutorial

which i can package up and send off :) i dunno when ill get the chance to go to a post office though so ill tell you when i have.
oh btw the hellboy one requires a certain codec that ive packaged with it.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 23/07/04 - 7:13 AM Permalink

you should have those cd tomorrow souri.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 23/07/04 - 7:36 AM Permalink

sorry i havent had the chance to get to the post office, should be mailed over the weekend though, if not early the next week.

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 23/07/04 - 6:47 PM Permalink

thanks for that Souri...much appreciated

Submitted by souri on Fri, 30/07/04 - 12:16 AM Permalink

Ok, I have received Inglis's cd's! We're waiting on Moonunit's stuff, and I still haven't received Stu's yet?? Once we get that sorted, I'll be burning the compilation and getting all your addresses through a private message!

Posted by souri on
Forum

I have to say, the tutorials on the Special Edition of Unreal Tournament 2004 are *absoutely* brilliant. I'm quite impressed with the video tutorials. The people doing them definately know what they're talking about, and you learn so much more and easily just by watching them clicking around the interface and explaining as they go. I've never used Maya before, but there were a fair introductory tutorials on the dvd which explained a lot of things and has me very interested in Maya!

The video tutorials done by the people at [url="http://sv1.3dbuzz.com/3dbuzz_FAQ.php"]3D Buzz[/url], and they have plenty of these 'Video Training Modules' for download free on their website (all you have to do is register). You can register as a member and get them sent to you on a cd but apparantely that takes a while since "3DBuzz has one of the biggest memberbases of any site on the web. With over 30,000 members now, and more people joining everyday (and with only one person to do all the burning, labeling, and mailing)."

Where am I going with this? Well, I'm thinking perhaps we should get our collective acts together and download all these tutorials from 3DBuzz and any other useful free tutorials around. We'll send what we have to a nominated person to compile the lot on dvd or cd and then burn the lot for those who contributed in downloading.

Of course, if anyone else is interested in a copy, I'm sure it can be sent for a nominal charge for postage and blank dvd/cd. It's my understanding that these tutorials are freely downloadable and can be distributed without profit (if you find anything different, let me know). I really think something like this would benefit *everyone* here, so what do you think?!

** ok, I just had a look at the download page, and there seems to be so much stuff there. It might be possible to get them if there are a lot of people here on cable/fast connections, but I'm probably being a bit optimistic (it would require the generosity of high speed users here [:D]. I'm sure there are gigs and gigs worth of tutorials). There's tonnes of great stuff there, from Maya, XSI, 3DSMax through to Concept Art, HumanIk, and Photoshop. Probably worth looking into purchasing them all if there is an option.

Great! We have 7 contributors (including myself). If there are more people willing to downloada an issue or 2, let me know! You'll get back a multitude more in return for your efforts, trust me

ZBrush - Issue 1 (Inglis has Basic Overview from Issue1)
Maya - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2(Inglis has)
3dsmax - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2(Inglis has), Issue 3(Bullet21 has), Issue 4(Bullet21 has - missing chapter 4 eyes, maybe Stu can send), Issue 5 (Stu has)

XSI - Issue 1 (Inglis has)
PHP & MySQL - Issue 1 (Inglis has), Issue 2
Photoshop 7.0 - Issue 1 (Inglis has)
Quake III Game Design - Issue 1 (Inglis has)
Unreal Tournament Game Design - Issue 1
MOTIONBUILDER - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2, Issue 3, Issue 4, Issue 5
Houdini - Issue 1(Inglis has), Issue 2, Issue 3
Combustion - Issue 1
UT2003 Game Design - Issue 1, Issue 2, Issue 3, Issue 4, Issue 5, Issue 6, Issue 7
Creating Concept Art - Issue 1, Issue 2
HumanIK - (it gets a bit funny with issue numbers here)

Lightwave - Issue1
Gamespace - Issue1(Bullet21 has)
Unreal Tech - (Inglis has Introduction to UnrealEd from Issue1)

I have Maya Fundamentals..
01 - Maya PLE - Intro
02 - Maya Modeling Basic
03 - Maya Animation

X5 is sending in:
HumanIK Issue 1

So anyway, I'll update this list on who has what, what shouldn't we bother with (e.g Quake III Game Design) and for the people who volunteered to nominate certain issues to download. Some things we might have to skip like the Unreal Tournament 2003 stuff since I have 2004 relevant vtms.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 10/06/04 - 5:26 AM Permalink

So did your try it out and make sure it worked?
im just concerned because, it had no case.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 11/06/04 - 5:26 AM Permalink

Yep, works fine [:)]

Submitted by X5 on Mon, 14/06/04 - 11:38 PM Permalink

ok so i finally got around to getting the extra vtms .. thank god for long weekends.

ive got:
HumanIK Issue 1

and ill send them soon ... ive also got a few other videos (tutorials) like the character tutorial by ben mathis (poopinmymounth) and the paramilitary punk video (got that 1 from polycount)..maybe if u Souri contatced these ppl they would let us include them aswell.

might wanna update the list of videos needed

Submitted by souri on Wed, 16/06/04 - 9:26 AM Permalink

Hey, that's great!

quote:and ill send them soon ... ive also got a few other videos (tutorials) like the character tutorial by ben mathis (poopinmymounth) and the paramilitary punk video (got that 1 from polycount)..maybe if u Souri contatced these ppl they would let us include them aswell.

Are those videos freely distributable/downloadable off the net?

Submitted by bullet21 on Tue, 22/06/04 - 6:21 AM Permalink

I'm not sure if i got a star or if they aren't usin the star system anymore, but i can access every video, is it just me?

Edit: never mind, i just got my Stra [8D][:D][:)]

Submitted by souri on Fri, 25/06/04 - 3:03 AM Permalink

Well, seeing as they're freely downloadable off the net, I don't see any problem with us adding it to the compilation and passing it to the few of us contributing.. did any of you guys (apart from Bullet21) send anything yet?

Submitted by X5 on Sun, 27/06/04 - 1:18 AM Permalink

i will be sending mine sometime over the weekend .. the videos r all burnt and ready to send

also included some ut2k3 dev stuff i dled off of fileplanet awhile back ... it includes character rigs & animations and some weapon anims from the game devastation

Submitted by bullet21 on Sun, 27/06/04 - 4:34 AM Permalink

comon all you other lazy talkers, send it all ready.

Submitted by Stu on Mon, 28/06/04 - 9:03 AM Permalink

Stu

Submitted by souri on Mon, 28/06/04 - 3:06 PM Permalink

I haven't received them but I will check tomorrow.

Submitted by X5 on Tue, 29/06/04 - 4:35 AM Permalink

mine were sent today Monday 28th

Submitted by rajee on Thu, 01/07/04 - 3:24 AM Permalink

Hi Inglis

Is it possible to upload the vtms???I've got all max and combustion one and looking for maya issue 2.

rajee

Submitted by souri on Fri, 02/07/04 - 10:53 AM Permalink

Ok, I received a package which I am assuming is from X5? (One of the cd covers was clear purple). Still waiting on the rest of you!

Submitted by X5 on Sat, 03/07/04 - 5:26 AM Permalink

yer a small package with some of that packing stuff 2 cd cases with 4 cds

so what is still to be downloaded / recieved ??

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 03/07/04 - 7:37 PM Permalink

I have a feeling that this tutorial thing, might become like sumea pixeltown ;)

Submitted by souri on Tue, 06/07/04 - 1:25 PM Permalink

I will do another round of chasing up soon [:(]

Submitted by inglis on Thu, 15/07/04 - 5:43 AM Permalink

Im mailing the CDs to you tomorrow Souri.

Sorry for the delay.

Submitted by souri on Thu, 15/07/04 - 9:39 AM Permalink

Excellant! Thanks.. really do appreciate it.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 16/07/04 - 1:40 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Stu

Stu

Ok, I haven't received yours yet, Stu! Wondering what's happening [:(].. Inglis says he's sending his, so once we get Stu's and Inglis's stuff, I'll compile the lot and send you all the dvd! (I'll be contacting you for your postal address once we're ready to go.)

Submitted by bullet21 on Fri, 16/07/04 - 5:53 PM Permalink

We dont have all of them yet do we, i though there were like seven contributors.

Submitted by Stu on Fri, 16/07/04 - 11:27 PM Permalink

Hey Souri I might send them again. You should have gotten them by now.

Submitted by Kane on Sat, 17/07/04 - 12:01 AM Permalink

hey Souri, any chance I could get one too? how much are they?

Submitted by X5 on Sat, 17/07/04 - 1:31 AM Permalink

r there still more to dl .. cause i might be able to spare some BW this month ... and ill get em out quick smart this time (if ne more hav to b dled)

Submitted by souri on Sat, 17/07/04 - 1:40 AM Permalink

You can try and find what's missing in the list on the first page of this thread, or you can help me download the rest of the 3dsmax 6 trial tutorials..

ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/3dsmax6/demo_software/3dsmax6_Refe…
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/3dsmax6/demo_software/Games_profes…
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/3dsmax6/demo_software/Character_An…
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/3dsmax6/demo_software/mental_ray_t…
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/3dsmax6/demo_software/reactor_tuto…
ftp://ftp1.discreet.com/web/products/3dsmax6/demo_software/shockwave3d_…

let me know which ones you're downloading...

Kane, I'll send you the compilation.. For anyone else, I might consider it if you're a regular to the forum (and only for just a few more people! I don't wanna end up shelling out too much for this! Souri go broke [:(])..

Submitted by MoonUnit on Sat, 17/07/04 - 9:40 PM Permalink

ive got something thats no so much a tutorial but a demo, but its just one thing so ill download ALL of the above :)

oh btw the demo is for texturing, its a guy making a texture of hellboys face from start to finish in photoshop.

EDIT: oky doky i have all downloaded so my list is now:
3dsmax6_Reference
Games_professional_tutorials
Character_Animation_professional_tutorials
mental_ray_tutorials
reactor_tutorials
shockwave3d_tutorials
Helboy texture tutorial

which i can package up and send off :) i dunno when ill get the chance to go to a post office though so ill tell you when i have.
oh btw the hellboy one requires a certain codec that ive packaged with it.

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 23/07/04 - 7:13 AM Permalink

you should have those cd tomorrow souri.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 23/07/04 - 7:36 AM Permalink

sorry i havent had the chance to get to the post office, should be mailed over the weekend though, if not early the next week.

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 23/07/04 - 6:47 PM Permalink

thanks for that Souri...much appreciated

Submitted by souri on Fri, 30/07/04 - 12:16 AM Permalink

Ok, I have received Inglis's cd's! We're waiting on Moonunit's stuff, and I still haven't received Stu's yet?? Once we get that sorted, I'll be burning the compilation and getting all your addresses through a private message!