Skip to main content

Brisbane Wannabies

Submitted by Vengeance on
Forum

Hey Everyone. I'm looking for people in the Brisbane area who are currently out of work/studying who would be interested in forming a group to attempt to build a game from scratch. The type of game, its contents and everything related are undecided and would be determined at the discretion of all members of the final group. I've actually met a lot of you, having been to QANTM like nearly everyone else (finished mid-year 2002; I coded the Area 7 demo if you can remember it) and these days I'm studying generic IT at QUT. I'm not likely to be searching for jobs until I've finished this course (which will be another year and a half.. assuming I pass everything [:)] ) and in the meantime I'm looking to do some serious work on a project.

The reason I'm doing this is simply because I'm growing bored of writing my own personal tid-bits of code that ultimately don't do anything too spectacular (has anyone else noticed that no matter how awesome the code you write is, no one cares unless there's a pretty model in there?).

If you have the slightest interest please let me know. Everyone's welcome, Coders, Artists, Designers and Mappers.

Cheers - Neil.

Submitted by trankillity on Thu, 03/07/03 - 9:30 AM Permalink

Me and some friends have been kicking around an absolutely brilliant game idea which we were hoping to bring to life. Unfortunately none of us have ever done anything to do with games whatsoever yet.

We intend on using the Source engine (Half-Life 2, like duhh :P) because it will enable sooooo much creative freedom in expressing our vision. So, shit yeah! I'm very interested in this idea. I'm sure the guys would be interested in some outside help too.

What I'm capable of? Not a lot at this point in time. But I am churning through tutorials at a fairly high rate of knots. I already have concepts for all of the weapons and would be able to model them. I also have a very good idea of how the interface would look/work and am very capable of making them. I can also do web/graphic design and am quite a good team leader.

If anyone else is interested then I'd certainly be up for meeting up sometime and having a huge brainstorming session.

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 03/07/03 - 7:15 PM Permalink

Weapons aren't that hard to model, even a programmer like myself can do it, making good weapons that have good animations is another task though,

Submitted by trankillity on Thu, 03/07/03 - 9:46 PM Permalink

Exactly why I said I'm not capable of a lot at this point ;)

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 04/07/03 - 12:57 PM Permalink

I hate to preach this everywhere (and in this post), but I don't see anything 'absolutely brilliant' in yet another game with guns.

But that's just me, don't let it get to ya.

As far as game design goes I'm generally up to give feedback and perhaps point in the right direction wherever possible.

As a programmer I'm too busy and I'm not a brisbanite so I can't really offer anything there :)

Submitted by fuzzmeister on Fri, 04/07/03 - 10:50 PM Permalink

Trankillity
---------------
If you are interested, there is a mod already that i know of that will use the Source engine, it's called roleplay half-life (or world war 3 annialation or something now), i was involved in it's creation (mapping)when it was a hl engine game idea... but it got kinda abandoned then merged with another mod (with a new team mostly... where i left).
Unfortunatley now that they have a site placeholder, there isn't all that much info on the original game concept. but check it out anyhoos :)

but anyway if you are planning on doing something with the Source engine you might want to keep an eye on this mod... or even get involved.

www.roleplayhl.com

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 04/07/03 - 11:35 PM Permalink

Yo, I'm at QUT aswell, also studying IT. Have a year and a half to go, so we have probably been doing some of the same subjects. I'd be interested in a HL2 mod, just as long as it is something different, and is not a CS clone. Also, I'd only be working on it if it was singleplayer, otherwise it would have to be an absolutely brilliant multiplayer concept.

You might want to check out Kezza on these forums too, hes also in IT at QUT.

Submitted by trankillity on Sun, 06/07/03 - 3:11 AM Permalink

Maitrek: This isn't "Just another mod with guns"... I'm just not at liberty to talk about it because it is literally such a brilliant idea that it will quite quickly be snatched up by some third party. *HOWEVER* I would be interested in meeting with people who are interested in such a project after which we can talk about the idea.

Submitted by bradb on Sun, 06/07/03 - 4:33 AM Permalink

I am interested in finding out what you guys are doing i am in Brisbane and would like to get involved with the local scene (programmer)

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 06/07/03 - 7:51 AM Permalink

It would have to be an absolutely ground breaking concept, like the FPS, or the MMORPG to really get worried about someone stealing your idea.
Implementation makes a game, not the idea. Worry about people stealing your content rather than your idea's.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Leviron on Sun, 06/07/03 - 9:21 AM Permalink

I live in Brisbane...this project thing sounds interesting.
What I do is....polish up concepts in the art department of things.

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 07/07/03 - 12:48 AM Permalink

Whatever it is, I'd be interested in it. I can model, animate, and I should be able to code but don't push your luck! :P

Submitted by Morphine on Tue, 24/02/04 - 11:37 AM Permalink

What's the size of the project are you looking at? 5 ppl? 10 ppl? 100 ppl?

I sure as willing to work on something coz I'm bored as hell itching to work on something. I've got enough pieces of paper to poke a stick at but my main strengths are graphic/interface design, in fact, design in general. I have little experience in programming, I'm more arty than code monkey. I'm in, depending on what's to eat at the table.

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 24/02/04 - 6:25 PM Permalink

Why not let the people get on with the project instead of raining on their parade :)

I think its great that they are at least trying to get a group together to do something!

Submitted by Daniel Rona on Tue, 24/02/04 - 9:25 PM Permalink

Hi All!
Nice to see other QUT IT students around here! I'm in my final year of IT/Comm Design and would like to get into games programming but I don't think I would know what to do, so I just wanted to say hi.
Good luck with getting a group together.

Submitted by Vengeance on Wed, 25/02/04 - 12:55 AM Permalink

Wow guys this thread is old, I can't believe it?s been dug up. Hmm, final year IT/Comm Design you say; I?ll see you next Monday in 649.

Submitted by Daniel Rona on Thu, 26/02/04 - 4:03 AM Permalink

haha I didn't realise it was so old. I'll just go back into my corner now...
Vengeance, do I know you? I'm looking forward to 649, its one of the few subjects that might actually produce something useful for the future!

Submitted by souri on Sat, 28/02/04 - 3:44 PM Permalink

My apologies, but this thread should be in the Mod / Game collaborations, and game technology section [:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 03/03/04 - 11:50 AM Permalink

Just thought id add in my 2 cents, hows the group going ? any advancements on the game ??

Submitted by Morphine on Wed, 24/03/04 - 1:08 AM Permalink

I'm just wondering if the group actually exists. I am eager to work with people from Brisbane but I haven't had a reply when I said I was interested.

Anybody know if it does exist? Coz I'm willing to join up and lend a hand. I've got degrees in Multimedia and Finished the Dip IT (majoring in soft dev for games) at Qantm last year. I can compose music (10yrs worth of exp), graphic/web/interface design, and currently working on a CS map. PM me if you want some details from me.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 24/03/04 - 3:04 AM Permalink

morphine whats your name man ? i probably met you last year at qantm...

Submitted by Morphine on Fri, 26/03/04 - 1:39 AM Permalink

The name's Joshua Poysden. I was in the Arena Battles dev team. I worked on the SFX, original music, weather, particles and the website. I think it's still up: [url]http://www.skumindustries.com[/url]

Check it out and tell me whatchya think of it. Hope you like [:)]

Submitted by Buckles on Fri, 26/03/04 - 10:03 PM Permalink

If you find yourself in need of a composer, Im a brissie-based one. Look me up if this ever gets off the ground :)

-s

Submitted by Buckles on Fri, 26/03/04 - 10:04 PM Permalink

By the way, Im also at QUT, studying Ba of Music!

-s

Posted by Vengeance on
Forum

Hey Everyone. I'm looking for people in the Brisbane area who are currently out of work/studying who would be interested in forming a group to attempt to build a game from scratch. The type of game, its contents and everything related are undecided and would be determined at the discretion of all members of the final group. I've actually met a lot of you, having been to QANTM like nearly everyone else (finished mid-year 2002; I coded the Area 7 demo if you can remember it) and these days I'm studying generic IT at QUT. I'm not likely to be searching for jobs until I've finished this course (which will be another year and a half.. assuming I pass everything [:)] ) and in the meantime I'm looking to do some serious work on a project.

The reason I'm doing this is simply because I'm growing bored of writing my own personal tid-bits of code that ultimately don't do anything too spectacular (has anyone else noticed that no matter how awesome the code you write is, no one cares unless there's a pretty model in there?).

If you have the slightest interest please let me know. Everyone's welcome, Coders, Artists, Designers and Mappers.

Cheers - Neil.

Submitted by trankillity on Thu, 03/07/03 - 9:30 AM Permalink

Me and some friends have been kicking around an absolutely brilliant game idea which we were hoping to bring to life. Unfortunately none of us have ever done anything to do with games whatsoever yet.

We intend on using the Source engine (Half-Life 2, like duhh :P) because it will enable sooooo much creative freedom in expressing our vision. So, shit yeah! I'm very interested in this idea. I'm sure the guys would be interested in some outside help too.

What I'm capable of? Not a lot at this point in time. But I am churning through tutorials at a fairly high rate of knots. I already have concepts for all of the weapons and would be able to model them. I also have a very good idea of how the interface would look/work and am very capable of making them. I can also do web/graphic design and am quite a good team leader.

If anyone else is interested then I'd certainly be up for meeting up sometime and having a huge brainstorming session.

Submitted by Daemin on Thu, 03/07/03 - 7:15 PM Permalink

Weapons aren't that hard to model, even a programmer like myself can do it, making good weapons that have good animations is another task though,

Submitted by trankillity on Thu, 03/07/03 - 9:46 PM Permalink

Exactly why I said I'm not capable of a lot at this point ;)

Submitted by Maitrek on Fri, 04/07/03 - 12:57 PM Permalink

I hate to preach this everywhere (and in this post), but I don't see anything 'absolutely brilliant' in yet another game with guns.

But that's just me, don't let it get to ya.

As far as game design goes I'm generally up to give feedback and perhaps point in the right direction wherever possible.

As a programmer I'm too busy and I'm not a brisbanite so I can't really offer anything there :)

Submitted by fuzzmeister on Fri, 04/07/03 - 10:50 PM Permalink

Trankillity
---------------
If you are interested, there is a mod already that i know of that will use the Source engine, it's called roleplay half-life (or world war 3 annialation or something now), i was involved in it's creation (mapping)when it was a hl engine game idea... but it got kinda abandoned then merged with another mod (with a new team mostly... where i left).
Unfortunatley now that they have a site placeholder, there isn't all that much info on the original game concept. but check it out anyhoos :)

but anyway if you are planning on doing something with the Source engine you might want to keep an eye on this mod... or even get involved.

www.roleplayhl.com

Submitted by Major Clod on Fri, 04/07/03 - 11:35 PM Permalink

Yo, I'm at QUT aswell, also studying IT. Have a year and a half to go, so we have probably been doing some of the same subjects. I'd be interested in a HL2 mod, just as long as it is something different, and is not a CS clone. Also, I'd only be working on it if it was singleplayer, otherwise it would have to be an absolutely brilliant multiplayer concept.

You might want to check out Kezza on these forums too, hes also in IT at QUT.

Submitted by trankillity on Sun, 06/07/03 - 3:11 AM Permalink

Maitrek: This isn't "Just another mod with guns"... I'm just not at liberty to talk about it because it is literally such a brilliant idea that it will quite quickly be snatched up by some third party. *HOWEVER* I would be interested in meeting with people who are interested in such a project after which we can talk about the idea.

Submitted by bradb on Sun, 06/07/03 - 4:33 AM Permalink

I am interested in finding out what you guys are doing i am in Brisbane and would like to get involved with the local scene (programmer)

Submitted by Blitz on Sun, 06/07/03 - 7:51 AM Permalink

It would have to be an absolutely ground breaking concept, like the FPS, or the MMORPG to really get worried about someone stealing your idea.
Implementation makes a game, not the idea. Worry about people stealing your content rather than your idea's.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Leviron on Sun, 06/07/03 - 9:21 AM Permalink

I live in Brisbane...this project thing sounds interesting.
What I do is....polish up concepts in the art department of things.

Submitted by Major Clod on Mon, 07/07/03 - 12:48 AM Permalink

Whatever it is, I'd be interested in it. I can model, animate, and I should be able to code but don't push your luck! :P

Submitted by Morphine on Tue, 24/02/04 - 11:37 AM Permalink

What's the size of the project are you looking at? 5 ppl? 10 ppl? 100 ppl?

I sure as willing to work on something coz I'm bored as hell itching to work on something. I've got enough pieces of paper to poke a stick at but my main strengths are graphic/interface design, in fact, design in general. I have little experience in programming, I'm more arty than code monkey. I'm in, depending on what's to eat at the table.

Submitted by Jacana on Tue, 24/02/04 - 6:25 PM Permalink

Why not let the people get on with the project instead of raining on their parade :)

I think its great that they are at least trying to get a group together to do something!

Submitted by Daniel Rona on Tue, 24/02/04 - 9:25 PM Permalink

Hi All!
Nice to see other QUT IT students around here! I'm in my final year of IT/Comm Design and would like to get into games programming but I don't think I would know what to do, so I just wanted to say hi.
Good luck with getting a group together.

Submitted by Vengeance on Wed, 25/02/04 - 12:55 AM Permalink

Wow guys this thread is old, I can't believe it?s been dug up. Hmm, final year IT/Comm Design you say; I?ll see you next Monday in 649.

Submitted by Daniel Rona on Thu, 26/02/04 - 4:03 AM Permalink

haha I didn't realise it was so old. I'll just go back into my corner now...
Vengeance, do I know you? I'm looking forward to 649, its one of the few subjects that might actually produce something useful for the future!

Submitted by souri on Sat, 28/02/04 - 3:44 PM Permalink

My apologies, but this thread should be in the Mod / Game collaborations, and game technology section [:)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 03/03/04 - 11:50 AM Permalink

Just thought id add in my 2 cents, hows the group going ? any advancements on the game ??

Submitted by Morphine on Wed, 24/03/04 - 1:08 AM Permalink

I'm just wondering if the group actually exists. I am eager to work with people from Brisbane but I haven't had a reply when I said I was interested.

Anybody know if it does exist? Coz I'm willing to join up and lend a hand. I've got degrees in Multimedia and Finished the Dip IT (majoring in soft dev for games) at Qantm last year. I can compose music (10yrs worth of exp), graphic/web/interface design, and currently working on a CS map. PM me if you want some details from me.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 24/03/04 - 3:04 AM Permalink

morphine whats your name man ? i probably met you last year at qantm...

Submitted by Morphine on Fri, 26/03/04 - 1:39 AM Permalink

The name's Joshua Poysden. I was in the Arena Battles dev team. I worked on the SFX, original music, weather, particles and the website. I think it's still up: [url]http://www.skumindustries.com[/url]

Check it out and tell me whatchya think of it. Hope you like [:)]

Submitted by Buckles on Fri, 26/03/04 - 10:03 PM Permalink

If you find yourself in need of a composer, Im a brissie-based one. Look me up if this ever gets off the ground :)

-s

Submitted by Buckles on Fri, 26/03/04 - 10:04 PM Permalink

By the way, Im also at QUT, studying Ba of Music!

-s