Skip to main content

Australian game publishers/distributors

Submitted by NathanJ on

Hi,

Does anyone here have any information on publishers and distributors of games in Australia? I've been trying to dig up some information and have found most of the major houses, but would love some more information on the less well known ones.

My initial interest in publishers came while looking for sponsors for a 100-man LAN event that I help run. It hasn't been hard to source Australian arms of major publishers such as Vivendi, UbiSoft, Take 2, Activision, Electronic Arts, Infogrames and Microsoft, so that satisfied all of our sponsoring needs.

My curiosity has been piqued a bit by my personal interest in Australian and international games which don't get the attention of said companies. Assuming that it's very rare to land a contract with a big publishing house (it's cool to see Ty getting so much hype, btw):

1) What other options do Australian developers have to get their works published in Australia and around the world? (Are there other options?)
2) Where do small-time developers outside Australia go when they want to sell their games over here?

The only names I seem to remember off the top of my head (Manaccom, Expert?) appear to be publishing games very infrequently, and I'm pretty sure every Australian release I've seen on a shelf since about 1997 has come from one of the major houses I mentioned earlier.

I don't know a great deal about publishing, so any sort of feedback is welcome.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 05/03/03 - 10:38 PM Permalink

For a Lan event I'd say get some ahrdware people on board, either retailers or manufacturers, that's what the Valhalla people have done. (500 person lan event in Adelaide)

Posted by NathanJ on

Hi,

Does anyone here have any information on publishers and distributors of games in Australia? I've been trying to dig up some information and have found most of the major houses, but would love some more information on the less well known ones.

My initial interest in publishers came while looking for sponsors for a 100-man LAN event that I help run. It hasn't been hard to source Australian arms of major publishers such as Vivendi, UbiSoft, Take 2, Activision, Electronic Arts, Infogrames and Microsoft, so that satisfied all of our sponsoring needs.

My curiosity has been piqued a bit by my personal interest in Australian and international games which don't get the attention of said companies. Assuming that it's very rare to land a contract with a big publishing house (it's cool to see Ty getting so much hype, btw):

1) What other options do Australian developers have to get their works published in Australia and around the world? (Are there other options?)
2) Where do small-time developers outside Australia go when they want to sell their games over here?

The only names I seem to remember off the top of my head (Manaccom, Expert?) appear to be publishing games very infrequently, and I'm pretty sure every Australian release I've seen on a shelf since about 1997 has come from one of the major houses I mentioned earlier.

I don't know a great deal about publishing, so any sort of feedback is welcome.

Submitted by Daemin on Wed, 05/03/03 - 10:38 PM Permalink

For a Lan event I'd say get some ahrdware people on board, either retailers or manufacturers, that's what the Valhalla people have done. (500 person lan event in Adelaide)