Skip to main content

Sword rigging

Submitted by ussmc on
Forum

I have successfully rig a right hand holding a sword (using Maya). I'm having trouble with the left hand, I also want it to hold the sword and freely by itself (not holding the sword). I can animate it manually but there will be too much tweaking. I have tried using Constraint>Point & Parent but when I turn it off the hand won't let go of the sword. Can anyone help me?[?]

Submitted by Me109 on Sat, 06/08/05 - 9:18 PM Permalink

you can group the sword and constrain the group only... make sure you effect the pivot of the group to the wrist bone of yor skeleton.. this will allow you to animate the sword seperate to the group.. or you can animate the influence of the constraint.. you should be able to get away with just a parent constraint (maintain offset is off)..

theres probably a few different ways of doing this..

Posted by ussmc on
Forum

I have successfully rig a right hand holding a sword (using Maya). I'm having trouble with the left hand, I also want it to hold the sword and freely by itself (not holding the sword). I can animate it manually but there will be too much tweaking. I have tried using Constraint>Point & Parent but when I turn it off the hand won't let go of the sword. Can anyone help me?[?]

Submitted by Me109 on Sat, 06/08/05 - 9:18 PM Permalink

you can group the sword and constrain the group only... make sure you effect the pivot of the group to the wrist bone of yor skeleton.. this will allow you to animate the sword seperate to the group.. or you can animate the influence of the constraint.. you should be able to get away with just a parent constraint (maintain offset is off)..

theres probably a few different ways of doing this..