Skip to main content

VC++ Intro Edition

Submitted by Kane on
Forum

hi all...

i use Visual C++ 6 Introductory Edition and it is illegal for me to distribute exectuables i create with it...

does anybody know if the same rule applies to source code, that is can i legally distribute the code to my programs?

Submitted by CombatWombat on Mon, 08/12/03 - 10:59 PM Permalink

That rule would only apply to executables (I imagine their wording would also include DLLs and normal libraries too)

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 08/12/03 - 11:05 PM Permalink

also while im here...does Visual Studio .NET compile regular C++ programs?

Submitted by tachyon on Tue, 09/12/03 - 1:47 AM Permalink

yeah visual studio .NET compiles regular c++ programs. the name's a bit deceiving, they shoulda just called it visual studio 7

Submitted by davidcoen on Sun, 21/12/03 - 12:28 AM Permalink

just be warnned that VisualC++.net standard, while only $170, and with a bit of mucking around you can get your v6 projects to compile (had to make some big changes to my .rc files), it doesn't include the optimizer

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 21/12/03 - 4:55 AM Permalink

forgive my newbieness, but what is the optimizer and what does it do?

Submitted by davidcoen on Mon, 22/12/03 - 11:37 AM Permalink

it trys to make the code run faster by doing smarter things to the machine code (_ASM ~asembly) , so it might unfold loops, place more code inline, align memory reads onto dword boundaries...

i was use to see 'gcc' do stuff like change loops into two machine instructions, (_dec, _njp ~decrement value, jup is not negitive) and then vc6 do something like( read, move, read, move, sub, cmp, jp....

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 13/02/04 - 9:35 PM Permalink

Vc++ intro edition is so incredibly gay
here's an alternative if you're poor...

1. grab the latest gcc/g++ in cygwin or win32 form
2. get eclipse
3. go nuts, for free

Posted by Kane on
Forum

hi all...

i use Visual C++ 6 Introductory Edition and it is illegal for me to distribute exectuables i create with it...

does anybody know if the same rule applies to source code, that is can i legally distribute the code to my programs?

Submitted by CombatWombat on Mon, 08/12/03 - 10:59 PM Permalink

That rule would only apply to executables (I imagine their wording would also include DLLs and normal libraries too)

Submitted by Kane on Mon, 08/12/03 - 11:05 PM Permalink

also while im here...does Visual Studio .NET compile regular C++ programs?

Submitted by tachyon on Tue, 09/12/03 - 1:47 AM Permalink

yeah visual studio .NET compiles regular c++ programs. the name's a bit deceiving, they shoulda just called it visual studio 7

Submitted by davidcoen on Sun, 21/12/03 - 12:28 AM Permalink

just be warnned that VisualC++.net standard, while only $170, and with a bit of mucking around you can get your v6 projects to compile (had to make some big changes to my .rc files), it doesn't include the optimizer

Submitted by Kane on Sun, 21/12/03 - 4:55 AM Permalink

forgive my newbieness, but what is the optimizer and what does it do?

Submitted by davidcoen on Mon, 22/12/03 - 11:37 AM Permalink

it trys to make the code run faster by doing smarter things to the machine code (_ASM ~asembly) , so it might unfold loops, place more code inline, align memory reads onto dword boundaries...

i was use to see 'gcc' do stuff like change loops into two machine instructions, (_dec, _njp ~decrement value, jup is not negitive) and then vc6 do something like( read, move, read, move, sub, cmp, jp....

Submitted by Kezza on Fri, 13/02/04 - 9:35 PM Permalink

Vc++ intro edition is so incredibly gay
here's an alternative if you're poor...

1. grab the latest gcc/g++ in cygwin or win32 form
2. get eclipse
3. go nuts, for free