Skip to main content

head wip

Submitted by jacobt on

helloo, been a while since my last 3d stuff so I thought I'd practice making a male head. It's a bit heavy at 1000 polys and there's no mouth or lashes, and eyelids don't work [;)] See how I go for time though, I'm enjoying slowly getting into this one so I might add those things when I get a little more done.

[IMG]http://www.jacobleetai.com/forums/headwip3.jpg[/IMG]

-Jacob

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 09/03/04 - 11:00 AM Permalink

Looks sweet man, how bout a wire ?

Also just personal preference but it looks like he doesnt have much of a top lip, if he were in a relaxed pose id say the lip would stick out a bit more, maybe tweak the shadow inside the nostril, make it a bit darker. [:)]

Other than that, dig the double eyebrow piercing. cool head - keep going, give him a body, he looks like a bank robber. [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 09/03/04 - 6:49 PM Permalink

The texture is looking pretty nice at the moment, but the mesh looks a little odd in places. It looks like his bottom lip is sticking out more than his top lip. It makes him look more yokel like. Also, the wrinkle on his eyes looks very large and prominent. With a wrinkle that deep, you may want to have a think about making another wrinkle that forms into a bottom eyelid bag. It will help to make him look a little tougher as well :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 09/03/04 - 11:16 PM Permalink

Looks like a good start, the eyes need some serious work, very "puppy dog" at the moment. The dip through the brow to the crows feet is very odd, looks like a loose scar. Skin tones need some attention, bright spotting isn't quite a white powdered look, but it's nearly there - saturate those areas a tad more, and perhaps consider giving thinner areas more a plump red to push that fleshy tone further. Last thing is the cheek bone seems oddly turned - like there's a mass of muscle wrapped through and along the ridge instead of along the "smile line"

Good stuff, keep it up!

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 10/03/04 - 12:17 AM Permalink

thanks, great help. Joel I think some of the problem is that I've been using a ref photo of a very old and droopy ethiopian man, and his stronger features don't match a guy this young. Anyways another small update, gotta rush out to do some other work. Yes he's going to have an annoying flickey hair-do. Ear and hair very wip. [:D]

[IMG]http://www.jacobleetai.com/forums/headwip6.jpg[/IMG]

Apologies if my frequent updates are buggin you [;)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 10/03/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

That looks cool, i love the tatt, it reminds me of a character in a game called Fable. The sidies look good as well. just one thing the lips look kinda like a frown or he's tensing his lips or something. But it looks good.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 10/03/04 - 7:03 AM Permalink

That tat is cool man - he looks abit like "prince" now with that hairdo tho man [;)]

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 11/03/04 - 2:22 AM Permalink

Looks good, but like others have said the lips are in a strange shape, like he is frowning or something.
Nice colour varition and texture :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 11/03/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

Looking good, however, one of the downsides to a mirrored unwrap is the eyes.

The highlight is mirrored, and that looks a bit dodgy.. The other problem.. When you animate the eye, the highlight will move too.. A bad thing.

The best way around this, is to add a poly over each eye - just sitting above it, where you'd like each highlight to be.. Texture the highlight onto it, and then give it some opacity via an alpha layer. (assuming you removed the highlight from the eye texture) Now, it'll look like theres a singular light source, and the highlight won't move with the eye when or if you animate it.

Submitted by jacobt on Thu, 11/03/04 - 4:11 AM Permalink

Hey SB, I'm aware of the problem of the highlighted eye...I can't remember where but I have read your tip in the floating poly before, it's a great idea and one I'll use when I get closer to completion. Although wouldn't the highlight flicker in game due to z-buffering?

Makk, bullet21 tweaking the lips verts and refining the texture has helped, thanks for that.

HazarD, Prince was cool. A purple vinyl outfit is on it's way.

No updates, maybe tonight. Knackered [:(] Anyone got some good tips for painting hair? The only tute I've seen is [URL]http://www.adobe.com/print/tips/phsdigitalhair/main.html[/URL]

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 11/03/04 - 7:10 AM Permalink

try 3dtotal.com, they have tones of tutes on photosop and digital painting.

Posted by jacobt on

helloo, been a while since my last 3d stuff so I thought I'd practice making a male head. It's a bit heavy at 1000 polys and there's no mouth or lashes, and eyelids don't work [;)] See how I go for time though, I'm enjoying slowly getting into this one so I might add those things when I get a little more done.

[IMG]http://www.jacobleetai.com/forums/headwip3.jpg[/IMG]

-Jacob

Submitted by Kalescent on Tue, 09/03/04 - 11:00 AM Permalink

Looks sweet man, how bout a wire ?

Also just personal preference but it looks like he doesnt have much of a top lip, if he were in a relaxed pose id say the lip would stick out a bit more, maybe tweak the shadow inside the nostril, make it a bit darker. [:)]

Other than that, dig the double eyebrow piercing. cool head - keep going, give him a body, he looks like a bank robber. [:)]

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 09/03/04 - 6:49 PM Permalink

The texture is looking pretty nice at the moment, but the mesh looks a little odd in places. It looks like his bottom lip is sticking out more than his top lip. It makes him look more yokel like. Also, the wrinkle on his eyes looks very large and prominent. With a wrinkle that deep, you may want to have a think about making another wrinkle that forms into a bottom eyelid bag. It will help to make him look a little tougher as well :)

Submitted by J I Styles on Tue, 09/03/04 - 11:16 PM Permalink

Looks like a good start, the eyes need some serious work, very "puppy dog" at the moment. The dip through the brow to the crows feet is very odd, looks like a loose scar. Skin tones need some attention, bright spotting isn't quite a white powdered look, but it's nearly there - saturate those areas a tad more, and perhaps consider giving thinner areas more a plump red to push that fleshy tone further. Last thing is the cheek bone seems oddly turned - like there's a mass of muscle wrapped through and along the ridge instead of along the "smile line"

Good stuff, keep it up!

Submitted by jacobt on Wed, 10/03/04 - 12:17 AM Permalink

thanks, great help. Joel I think some of the problem is that I've been using a ref photo of a very old and droopy ethiopian man, and his stronger features don't match a guy this young. Anyways another small update, gotta rush out to do some other work. Yes he's going to have an annoying flickey hair-do. Ear and hair very wip. [:D]

[IMG]http://www.jacobleetai.com/forums/headwip6.jpg[/IMG]

Apologies if my frequent updates are buggin you [;)]

Submitted by bullet21 on Wed, 10/03/04 - 4:43 AM Permalink

That looks cool, i love the tatt, it reminds me of a character in a game called Fable. The sidies look good as well. just one thing the lips look kinda like a frown or he's tensing his lips or something. But it looks good.

Submitted by Kalescent on Wed, 10/03/04 - 7:03 AM Permalink

That tat is cool man - he looks abit like "prince" now with that hairdo tho man [;)]

Submitted by Makk on Thu, 11/03/04 - 2:22 AM Permalink

Looks good, but like others have said the lips are in a strange shape, like he is frowning or something.
Nice colour varition and texture :)

Submitted by Sorceror Bob on Thu, 11/03/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

Looking good, however, one of the downsides to a mirrored unwrap is the eyes.

The highlight is mirrored, and that looks a bit dodgy.. The other problem.. When you animate the eye, the highlight will move too.. A bad thing.

The best way around this, is to add a poly over each eye - just sitting above it, where you'd like each highlight to be.. Texture the highlight onto it, and then give it some opacity via an alpha layer. (assuming you removed the highlight from the eye texture) Now, it'll look like theres a singular light source, and the highlight won't move with the eye when or if you animate it.

Submitted by jacobt on Thu, 11/03/04 - 4:11 AM Permalink

Hey SB, I'm aware of the problem of the highlighted eye...I can't remember where but I have read your tip in the floating poly before, it's a great idea and one I'll use when I get closer to completion. Although wouldn't the highlight flicker in game due to z-buffering?

Makk, bullet21 tweaking the lips verts and refining the texture has helped, thanks for that.

HazarD, Prince was cool. A purple vinyl outfit is on it's way.

No updates, maybe tonight. Knackered [:(] Anyone got some good tips for painting hair? The only tute I've seen is [URL]http://www.adobe.com/print/tips/phsdigitalhair/main.html[/URL]

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 11/03/04 - 7:10 AM Permalink

try 3dtotal.com, they have tones of tutes on photosop and digital painting.