Skip to main content

What is your Drawing style ?

Submitted by Ninja on
Forum

In relation to the topic Authored by Souri....

:: Tell me how you got started with art! ::

I just want to know what is other peoples drawing style ? and why they adapted that style / styles ?

Well mine is manga [:D] (obviously) but i tend to make it more stylized by either making the most obvious parts of the body bigger like the hands, calves, small head big body, large feet sometimes it just depends on the form of the character and what suits them best for their own personality.

I just love seeing other peoples style of drawing.....[8)]
Plus in addition to that bringing it to life in 3D [8D]
I say people !!! post your image style of drawing / drawings i would love to see everyones different styles !!! its a great inspiration to me (could be for everyone too [:I])!!!

well heres my quick style and a template of how i start off my drawing from blocking the pose to finishing up details [:p]:

[img]http://www.members.optushome.com.au/cconcepcion/wip/meh_drawing.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 11/07/03 - 8:07 PM Permalink

I'm not sure if I have a certain style either, I'm trying to find one but I'm never satisfied with my work, but I guess self critiqueing is a good thing if you want to evolve as an artist.

I started drawing before pretty much anything else, used to sit in front of the TV watching mighty mouse etc and just lose myself in my own little world/s. I was never very social just me my pencil and Mr TV.

I used to just draw all day, I always imagine how the character would exist in its world, how the enviroment would have effected it both physiologically and metally.
Can't stand seeing design that say it lives in the cold but has no skin, or predators with eyes on the sides of their head like a cow etc lol.

I don't work like most artist's I know, most Ive met block in and then work from the pelvis/chest out when drawing.
I never block in and draw from the head first, I find I need to get the characters feel first, and the head is where the character is most focused for me, I sort of scanline render my drawings from head to toe lol.

My portfolio shows a bit of my work but its not that recent anymore and like most work I finish, I hate it afterwards, must do better, must do better. [:P]

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 11/07/03 - 8:17 PM Permalink

Nice work PANTS as usual [:)] its good to see you use a mixed style of drawing and painting [:)].

Wow its kool that you dont block out your characters first malus and yet u still tend to keep it on the right form [:)].What i mainly do is work from head to toe [:D] and yes mainly i do focus on the head more as well because it does give the persons view on their personlaity and attitude.

We can never be satisfied with our work even though we thought we did our best on it at that time then we do look back and say that is shit now LOL which is really weired.

Keep em coming guys..... i want to see more work [:D]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 11/07/03 - 9:26 PM Permalink

quote:.. or predators with eyes on the sides of their head like a cow etc lol.

Didn't Tyrannosaurus Rex have eyes on the side of it's head? ;P

I've been told my style sits somewhere between Eastern and Western styled comic art although a lot of my subject matter draws influence from Japanese or Japanese videogames. Most of my art is line based and depending on how much mood I want in the pic, the amount of shading will vary. I try to put a bit more detail in than your manga styled pic, maybe that's the Western influence.

I always start with the stick figure, this dictates the line of action that the piece will have. Then, chest and arms, then fill in the stomach and pelvis. Next, I'll usually work in the head and do the legs last. Then go over it again for all the detail work.

I was going to add some more pics, but most of the ones in my Sumea profile are unfinished and don't accurately reflect my points.

This isn't intended as a criticism to anyone that does only Manga style - but I feel it's not enough to only have Manga as your style. In a recent post I read with developers, they're looking for an individual artists personal style as opposed to being able to mimic a popular flavour. It's great if you can do Manga as well as others, but apparently just Manga by itself isn't enough.
Personally, I dont feel that drawing in Manga style teaches the artist enough about anatomy - Manga is puposely exaggerated proportion-wise and things such as faces are simplified too much.

Of course, this is all relative - all you manga artists out there, don't take offense. Despite my crits of the style, I do love great Japanese anime artwork.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 14/07/03 - 10:44 AM Permalink

quote:Didn't Tyrannosaurus Rex have eyes on the side of it's head? ;P

They're not on the side just deep set to the rear of the skull, they were still bifocal, eyes looked forward, predators do this for better focus since they need to charge down animals etc.
Cows eat grass and need better peripheral vision in case a predator is sneaking up on their chewy butts. [:P]

I agree that anime isn't someones personal style its a genre, a style developed by the japanese similar.
In the west disney then marvel etc where developed and emulated (read copied) by every kid who picked up a pencil.
People do have there own style within anime but it still follows some basic formulated rules.
I know anime is popular, I love it myself but I find you should try to take pieces from other works to develop your own not just draw the same style as others. (unless you want to work soley as an anime artist that is).

Submitted by sho nuff on Tue, 15/07/03 - 4:23 AM Permalink

Normally it depends on what 'feel' i am going for, but when im sketching i will usually revert to a'hyper' style of drawing. So i guess you could call that my style.

Hyper style is just taking what you are trying to capture and exaggerating it, so that the feel is easily recognisable, but not to the point where the exageration looks ridiculous. The piece must have some sort of balance to it.

I would post pics but for some reason i can't get a membership going to post 2d pics, so u will just have to take my word for it that it looks dope.

Submitted by Jason on Tue, 15/07/03 - 10:29 PM Permalink

I dunno what my style is. I find myself torn between striving for smooth shaded pics while at the same time, I love some of the well drawn manga and american comic lineart. I've tried to merge them with something painterly but with a cartoon feel.

Honestly though, I don't think I have a proper style yet, still developing and learning. I can see so many directions for art, but I think I want to head more towards realism.

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 18/07/03 - 10:32 PM Permalink

My stuff is pretty varied. At the moment I'm producing stuff with a strong comic influence (drawn from wetworks, spawn and manga comics). I finished a small piece today that I'll try and upload tonight.

Posted by Ninja on
Forum

In relation to the topic Authored by Souri....

:: Tell me how you got started with art! ::

I just want to know what is other peoples drawing style ? and why they adapted that style / styles ?

Well mine is manga [:D] (obviously) but i tend to make it more stylized by either making the most obvious parts of the body bigger like the hands, calves, small head big body, large feet sometimes it just depends on the form of the character and what suits them best for their own personality.

I just love seeing other peoples style of drawing.....[8)]
Plus in addition to that bringing it to life in 3D [8D]
I say people !!! post your image style of drawing / drawings i would love to see everyones different styles !!! its a great inspiration to me (could be for everyone too [:I])!!!

well heres my quick style and a template of how i start off my drawing from blocking the pose to finishing up details [:p]:

[img]http://www.members.optushome.com.au/cconcepcion/wip/meh_drawing.jpg[/img]

Submitted by Malus on Fri, 11/07/03 - 8:07 PM Permalink

I'm not sure if I have a certain style either, I'm trying to find one but I'm never satisfied with my work, but I guess self critiqueing is a good thing if you want to evolve as an artist.

I started drawing before pretty much anything else, used to sit in front of the TV watching mighty mouse etc and just lose myself in my own little world/s. I was never very social just me my pencil and Mr TV.

I used to just draw all day, I always imagine how the character would exist in its world, how the enviroment would have effected it both physiologically and metally.
Can't stand seeing design that say it lives in the cold but has no skin, or predators with eyes on the sides of their head like a cow etc lol.

I don't work like most artist's I know, most Ive met block in and then work from the pelvis/chest out when drawing.
I never block in and draw from the head first, I find I need to get the characters feel first, and the head is where the character is most focused for me, I sort of scanline render my drawings from head to toe lol.

My portfolio shows a bit of my work but its not that recent anymore and like most work I finish, I hate it afterwards, must do better, must do better. [:P]

Submitted by Ninja on Fri, 11/07/03 - 8:17 PM Permalink

Nice work PANTS as usual [:)] its good to see you use a mixed style of drawing and painting [:)].

Wow its kool that you dont block out your characters first malus and yet u still tend to keep it on the right form [:)].What i mainly do is work from head to toe [:D] and yes mainly i do focus on the head more as well because it does give the persons view on their personlaity and attitude.

We can never be satisfied with our work even though we thought we did our best on it at that time then we do look back and say that is shit now LOL which is really weired.

Keep em coming guys..... i want to see more work [:D]

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 11/07/03 - 9:26 PM Permalink

quote:.. or predators with eyes on the sides of their head like a cow etc lol.

Didn't Tyrannosaurus Rex have eyes on the side of it's head? ;P

I've been told my style sits somewhere between Eastern and Western styled comic art although a lot of my subject matter draws influence from Japanese or Japanese videogames. Most of my art is line based and depending on how much mood I want in the pic, the amount of shading will vary. I try to put a bit more detail in than your manga styled pic, maybe that's the Western influence.

I always start with the stick figure, this dictates the line of action that the piece will have. Then, chest and arms, then fill in the stomach and pelvis. Next, I'll usually work in the head and do the legs last. Then go over it again for all the detail work.

I was going to add some more pics, but most of the ones in my Sumea profile are unfinished and don't accurately reflect my points.

This isn't intended as a criticism to anyone that does only Manga style - but I feel it's not enough to only have Manga as your style. In a recent post I read with developers, they're looking for an individual artists personal style as opposed to being able to mimic a popular flavour. It's great if you can do Manga as well as others, but apparently just Manga by itself isn't enough.
Personally, I dont feel that drawing in Manga style teaches the artist enough about anatomy - Manga is puposely exaggerated proportion-wise and things such as faces are simplified too much.

Of course, this is all relative - all you manga artists out there, don't take offense. Despite my crits of the style, I do love great Japanese anime artwork.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 14/07/03 - 10:44 AM Permalink

quote:Didn't Tyrannosaurus Rex have eyes on the side of it's head? ;P

They're not on the side just deep set to the rear of the skull, they were still bifocal, eyes looked forward, predators do this for better focus since they need to charge down animals etc.
Cows eat grass and need better peripheral vision in case a predator is sneaking up on their chewy butts. [:P]

I agree that anime isn't someones personal style its a genre, a style developed by the japanese similar.
In the west disney then marvel etc where developed and emulated (read copied) by every kid who picked up a pencil.
People do have there own style within anime but it still follows some basic formulated rules.
I know anime is popular, I love it myself but I find you should try to take pieces from other works to develop your own not just draw the same style as others. (unless you want to work soley as an anime artist that is).

Submitted by sho nuff on Tue, 15/07/03 - 4:23 AM Permalink

Normally it depends on what 'feel' i am going for, but when im sketching i will usually revert to a'hyper' style of drawing. So i guess you could call that my style.

Hyper style is just taking what you are trying to capture and exaggerating it, so that the feel is easily recognisable, but not to the point where the exageration looks ridiculous. The piece must have some sort of balance to it.

I would post pics but for some reason i can't get a membership going to post 2d pics, so u will just have to take my word for it that it looks dope.

Submitted by Jason on Tue, 15/07/03 - 10:29 PM Permalink

I dunno what my style is. I find myself torn between striving for smooth shaded pics while at the same time, I love some of the well drawn manga and american comic lineart. I've tried to merge them with something painterly but with a cartoon feel.

Honestly though, I don't think I have a proper style yet, still developing and learning. I can see so many directions for art, but I think I want to head more towards realism.

Submitted by ironikart on Fri, 18/07/03 - 10:32 PM Permalink

My stuff is pretty varied. At the moment I'm producing stuff with a strong comic influence (drawn from wetworks, spawn and manga comics). I finished a small piece today that I'll try and upload tonight.