Skip to main content

Reconstruct Mesh Tool - - A Favor

Submitted by wavescorx on
Forum

Aven convinced me that the best way to make my facial expression blend shapes is by hand. Ever since I've adhered to that principal with great results. However, for the past 4 or 5 days straight (literally!) I've been working on just two extreme facials to the left (and they're still not done!). I simply don't have the stamina to remake them for the right.

So there exists a tool on highend3d.com in the Maya Plugins section called Reconstruct Mesh for Maya 5.0. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this should work on Maya for any platform. Unfortunately for me (being a Mac OS X user), the download is encoded in .exe format. I just can't open it. It's like this perfect little solution taunting me from inside a glass box that I can't break apart to set it's beautiful self free.

So I have a favor to ask. Would anyone who has the plugin be willing to try to e-mail it to me in a format other than .exe (preferably .zip)? If so, please contact me before you do it. I'll give you an alternate address other than my hotmail account. Thanks in advance for you've surely added several years to the end of my life.

-Travis

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 12/02/04 - 10:00 PM Permalink

Okay. The good news was that I could download it and install it.

The bad news is that damned if I can get it to work :/ The installer installs it where it wants to (in a very odd location), and then adds in the Environmental Paths. It then does nothing. The command doesn't seem to work. It just says to me that it cannot find the Mesh.

I also tried another two scripts there, an I couldn't get those to work either.

Another way you can handle it is as follows.

1. Duplicate your mesh and mirror it.
2. Duplicate your orginal mesh and drag it over top.
3. Grab the verts one-by-one on the original duplicate mesh and using your vert snapping, snap each vert to the placement on the mirrored edge.

Although it isn't as easy as just running a script, it at least works :) If the mesh isn't too dense, then it doesn't take very long to do either.

If you would still ike the script, then let me know. I just don't know how you would go around installing it on a Mac. Perhaps your should give him an email and ask for some assistance. He may be able to help you out.

Submitted by wavescorx on Fri, 13/02/04 - 8:33 PM Permalink

I'll give your suggestion a try--I've never used vert snapping before so it will be an adventure. As for the maker of the plugin, I tried e-mailing him in the first place a while ago (pre-my Sumea days), and he never got back to me, but I'll give him another try.

Thanks again, Aven!

Travis

Posted by wavescorx on
Forum

Aven convinced me that the best way to make my facial expression blend shapes is by hand. Ever since I've adhered to that principal with great results. However, for the past 4 or 5 days straight (literally!) I've been working on just two extreme facials to the left (and they're still not done!). I simply don't have the stamina to remake them for the right.

So there exists a tool on highend3d.com in the Maya Plugins section called Reconstruct Mesh for Maya 5.0. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this should work on Maya for any platform. Unfortunately for me (being a Mac OS X user), the download is encoded in .exe format. I just can't open it. It's like this perfect little solution taunting me from inside a glass box that I can't break apart to set it's beautiful self free.

So I have a favor to ask. Would anyone who has the plugin be willing to try to e-mail it to me in a format other than .exe (preferably .zip)? If so, please contact me before you do it. I'll give you an alternate address other than my hotmail account. Thanks in advance for you've surely added several years to the end of my life.

-Travis

Submitted by Aven on Thu, 12/02/04 - 10:00 PM Permalink

Okay. The good news was that I could download it and install it.

The bad news is that damned if I can get it to work :/ The installer installs it where it wants to (in a very odd location), and then adds in the Environmental Paths. It then does nothing. The command doesn't seem to work. It just says to me that it cannot find the Mesh.

I also tried another two scripts there, an I couldn't get those to work either.

Another way you can handle it is as follows.

1. Duplicate your mesh and mirror it.
2. Duplicate your orginal mesh and drag it over top.
3. Grab the verts one-by-one on the original duplicate mesh and using your vert snapping, snap each vert to the placement on the mirrored edge.

Although it isn't as easy as just running a script, it at least works :) If the mesh isn't too dense, then it doesn't take very long to do either.

If you would still ike the script, then let me know. I just don't know how you would go around installing it on a Mac. Perhaps your should give him an email and ask for some assistance. He may be able to help you out.

Submitted by wavescorx on Fri, 13/02/04 - 8:33 PM Permalink

I'll give your suggestion a try--I've never used vert snapping before so it will be an adventure. As for the maker of the plugin, I tried e-mailing him in the first place a while ago (pre-my Sumea days), and he never got back to me, but I'll give him another try.

Thanks again, Aven!

Travis