Skip to main content

Wats da hardest for u 2 draw

Submitted by sho nuff on
Forum

Im not the greatest drawer in the world, but the thing i always lack in capturing, is the hands. Particularly articulated hands. Im alot better than what i used to be, but not to the point where i dont need my own hand for reference. I remember drawing characters in primary school. I would draw them with weapons in place of there hands. Friends would think that was really creative of me. I agreed[;)]. What they didn't realise was that i drew the weapons there, because i couldn't draw the hands.[xx(]

Eventually i would learn little tricks here and there to improve my drawing of the hand, but even still, my hands tend to look fairly generic. Still haven't quite reached the 'master hand drawer' status of rodan, but one day hope to.

But anyways, what is it u guys struggle with, and how do u overcome this problem? do u avoid it, replace it, or improve it?

Submitted by Brain on Tue, 13/05/03 - 11:17 PM Permalink

I still find the human form, like the hands, a bit taxing, but still very enjoyable to draw. I'm not very good at technical type drawings, which is something I'll look at strengthening in the future. I've just started taking life drawing classes, so hopefully I'll see some improvement in that area soon.

Submitted by sho nuff on Wed, 14/05/03 - 1:45 AM Permalink

yeh im not too good with technical things either, but thats mainly due to my pet peeve with rulers. Just dont like 'em. 2 fidgety.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 14/05/03 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Sho nuff:

quote:I'm not the greatest drawer in the world

I'm not the best cupboard myself. [:P]

I'm still trying to better everything but the biggest challenges have always been foreshortening and lighting.

My girlfriend says my women sometimes need work, to butch looking but she says they're getting there, I love having a live in critic. [:)]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 14/05/03 - 5:46 AM Permalink

I dont have one thing that gives me particular problems. I am better at women then men but thats about it. Most of my stuff is about the same quality. (How good that quality is, is up to debate).

Never hide the bit you suck at. Other artists and people who know there art will spot it real fast. Plus if you dont do it you won't get better at it. The rule I go by is that every picture I do must have somthing in it that I have not done before or something that I find hard.

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Thu, 15/05/03 - 10:46 AM Permalink

I don't feel comfortable in saying I'm good at any area (human drawing, proportion etc), because I'm sure I can always improve, no matter how complacent I think I am.. all I have to do is have a look at some professional work before I realise how much more I need to understand things. For example, I can draw reasonable looking hands, but they are far from the dynamic looking hands that I've seen professional artists do. Anyway, I'd love to improve in some areas like colouring, combinations of colours etc.. [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/sprofilepic.asp?pic=37_WomanOils.jpg&news=362&i…"]Malus's picture[/url] was very cool, how he put lighter blues for colder parts of the females face etc...

Submitted by sho nuff on Thu, 15/05/03 - 1:16 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Pantmonger

The rule I go by is that every picture I do must have somthing in it that I have not done before or something that I find hard.

That's a pretty good rule. I might try that on the speedpaint challenge cuz even though i start out with a picture in mind, it somehow manages to gravitate towards things (subject, poses) i have already mastered (kinda). I totally hate when that happens, cuz u look back after the hour or so u spent drawing the piece, then think "holy crap, i just drew the exact same thing yesterday".

As for drawing women, it's always good to keep a reference out on the desk, just to help guide you in your creation. After i was advised to do this, my drawings of females improved heaps. But reference for drawing in general is a must. All the comic pro's do it (especially alex ross), even the disney artists have marquettes to go by. It just goes to show that even the pro's have weaknesses.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 15/05/03 - 9:38 PM Permalink

Souri: Cheers buddy [:D] I feel all special now lol.

Submitted by adie on Sun, 18/05/03 - 5:34 AM Permalink

Im not very good at drawing house and building but I havent realy draw ..I find the best way to draw hands is to imagin that with onl

Submitted by Major Clod on Sun, 18/05/03 - 10:34 AM Permalink

Anything with angles, perspective, lines... graphics type drawings I am fine with. People I don't think I'm all that bad, but I have a hard time capturing realistic facial likeness. While certainly not a pro, many people including art teachers have commented on my drawing skills, so I guess I can't be all that bad! :P Looking forward to the speed paint tomorrow night... It will be interesting to see how I go in Photoshop, I barely ever use it for actual drawings!

Submitted by Groady on Fri, 23/05/03 - 8:34 AM Permalink

I tend to draw characters the most. I feel I am concious about anatomy most of the time however I have a cartoony style. My biggest weakness is technical drawing such as scenes with perspective and vehicles. My biggest challenge is turning off my pc and actually going and drawing somthing with pencil and paper. Need to draw more from life dammit!

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 26/05/03 - 10:13 PM Permalink

When drawing human forms I always have trouble with feet and lower legs. I usually cover it up with some bulky boots or something and that does the trick!

Submitted by souri on Tue, 27/05/03 - 12:28 AM Permalink

I love drawing the human form too. I wish I had time to go and do some real life drawing again. That was real fun. We got to draw a huge range of body types using different materials. From old ladies, to men and females. Sometimes we had to capture them entirely within 30 seconds. It was great.

Submitted by Brain on Tue, 27/05/03 - 1:52 AM Permalink

I've been heading along to life drawing hosted by QPix over at Wooloongabba. It'll be my second session tonight if I get along. More info here: http://www.qa.org.au/

Should get a buncha Sumeans along. $10 for non-members is pretty goodly.

Submitted by trankillity on Tue, 01/07/03 - 7:28 AM Permalink

Just a bit of science to plug away here behind the whole creative drawing aspect.

The brain is comprised of two hemispheres, the left and the right. The left controls technical reasoning, mathematical judgement and spatial awareness whereas the right side controls pretty much everything creative.

People who are "left brained" are usually engineers, architects, mathmaticians, scientists and the like while people who are right brained are pretty much all artists in some form or another. Therefore if you're able to draw perspective easily and able to picture things in 3D without needing to draw them then you're more left brained and are less likely to be able to draw natural/organic shapes easily. If you are more "right brained" then you'll find concepts such as perspective challenging but will be able to draw realistic organic objects.

Unfortunately for a large chunk of people (including myself), we never realised that art/design/3D could be so rewarding until it was too late and are stuck with VERY meager drawing skills I, for one, don't get any better at all with my drawing no matter how much I attempt to practice it. I am able to very easily visualise objects in 3D space but can't portray that on paper because of my attempted melding of the two hemispheres of the brain (going from doing technical subjects such as physics, engineering and graphics at school to needing things like art and design at uni is painful).

In other news, I would be interested in going to those life drawing lessons when I get a bit better at drawing and can afford them :S

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 01/07/03 - 8:43 PM Permalink

I actually quite like doing technical drawings as I took a tech drawing/graphic design class all through school. It used to bore me but I'm quite glad now that I can drawing machinery etc. to a good standard.

What I do have trouble with is parts of women. Usually with the lower face - lips (hard to look feminine), jawline (hard to look soft) and chin. Hairstyles aren't too bad, providing I've got some sort of reference.

My anatomy is pretty good, as I've got muscularity down pretty well now, but my knowledge of the veins is pretty weak. No better way to make someone look tough than to have a few bulging bicep veins. Having said that, the tendons in the hand provide a bit of trouble from time to time as well.

Of course, like most others here, drawing these things with a reference is easy, but trying to draw from your head is the tough part.

JPK

Submitted by sho nuff on Tue, 01/07/03 - 11:15 PM Permalink

I think at the end of the day, so long as it looks like it works, it doesnt matter where u put the veins or the extra muscle (people do this alot on backs) because unless ur a full bottle on the subjects true proportions and technicalities, nobody's gonna know you cheated. And if nobody knows, where is the harm?

Jonathan, unless ur sketch jobs are for something exact, so long as ur proportions are right, and u have a modest idea on anatomy, u shouldnt sweat the small stuff. And if u don't believe me, Joe Maduriera never took an anatomy class in his life, and his work still rocks.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 01/07/03 - 11:27 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by trankillity

Unfortunately for a large chunk of people (including myself), we never realised that art/design/3D could be so rewarding until it was too late and are stuck with VERY meager drawing skills I, for one, don't get any better at all with my drawing no matter how much I attempt to practice it.

I've read a story about a 40-45yr old who decided to pick up painting as a new hobby, even though they've never painted before in their life. He became quite competant within a few years of practise (and I'm talking about some really *great* looking paintings - I wish I could remember his name so yuo can look up his work). It's never too late, I reckon! (I'm actually looking forward to when I'm 60 and I can sit down and paint all day)

Submitted by trankillity on Thu, 03/07/03 - 9:07 AM Permalink

No, it's never too late. But being schooled in either left/right brain psychology makes it a lot harder to pick up.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 03/07/03 - 9:21 AM Permalink

my grandmother took up oils at the age of 76 and is practically a master at the age of 77 !!!

Submitted by Kezza on Tue, 22/07/03 - 8:20 AM Permalink

hands... bloody hands, closely followed by bare feet.
I can never get the shape or placement of the joints right.

Posted by sho nuff on
Forum

Im not the greatest drawer in the world, but the thing i always lack in capturing, is the hands. Particularly articulated hands. Im alot better than what i used to be, but not to the point where i dont need my own hand for reference. I remember drawing characters in primary school. I would draw them with weapons in place of there hands. Friends would think that was really creative of me. I agreed[;)]. What they didn't realise was that i drew the weapons there, because i couldn't draw the hands.[xx(]

Eventually i would learn little tricks here and there to improve my drawing of the hand, but even still, my hands tend to look fairly generic. Still haven't quite reached the 'master hand drawer' status of rodan, but one day hope to.

But anyways, what is it u guys struggle with, and how do u overcome this problem? do u avoid it, replace it, or improve it?

Submitted by Brain on Tue, 13/05/03 - 11:17 PM Permalink

I still find the human form, like the hands, a bit taxing, but still very enjoyable to draw. I'm not very good at technical type drawings, which is something I'll look at strengthening in the future. I've just started taking life drawing classes, so hopefully I'll see some improvement in that area soon.

Submitted by sho nuff on Wed, 14/05/03 - 1:45 AM Permalink

yeh im not too good with technical things either, but thats mainly due to my pet peeve with rulers. Just dont like 'em. 2 fidgety.

Submitted by Malus on Wed, 14/05/03 - 3:38 AM Permalink

Sho nuff:

quote:I'm not the greatest drawer in the world

I'm not the best cupboard myself. [:P]

I'm still trying to better everything but the biggest challenges have always been foreshortening and lighting.

My girlfriend says my women sometimes need work, to butch looking but she says they're getting there, I love having a live in critic. [:)]

Submitted by Pantmonger on Wed, 14/05/03 - 5:46 AM Permalink

I dont have one thing that gives me particular problems. I am better at women then men but thats about it. Most of my stuff is about the same quality. (How good that quality is, is up to debate).

Never hide the bit you suck at. Other artists and people who know there art will spot it real fast. Plus if you dont do it you won't get better at it. The rule I go by is that every picture I do must have somthing in it that I have not done before or something that I find hard.

Pantmonger

Submitted by souri on Thu, 15/05/03 - 10:46 AM Permalink

I don't feel comfortable in saying I'm good at any area (human drawing, proportion etc), because I'm sure I can always improve, no matter how complacent I think I am.. all I have to do is have a look at some professional work before I realise how much more I need to understand things. For example, I can draw reasonable looking hands, but they are far from the dynamic looking hands that I've seen professional artists do. Anyway, I'd love to improve in some areas like colouring, combinations of colours etc.. [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/sprofilepic.asp?pic=37_WomanOils.jpg&news=362&i…"]Malus's picture[/url] was very cool, how he put lighter blues for colder parts of the females face etc...

Submitted by sho nuff on Thu, 15/05/03 - 1:16 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by Pantmonger

The rule I go by is that every picture I do must have somthing in it that I have not done before or something that I find hard.

That's a pretty good rule. I might try that on the speedpaint challenge cuz even though i start out with a picture in mind, it somehow manages to gravitate towards things (subject, poses) i have already mastered (kinda). I totally hate when that happens, cuz u look back after the hour or so u spent drawing the piece, then think "holy crap, i just drew the exact same thing yesterday".

As for drawing women, it's always good to keep a reference out on the desk, just to help guide you in your creation. After i was advised to do this, my drawings of females improved heaps. But reference for drawing in general is a must. All the comic pro's do it (especially alex ross), even the disney artists have marquettes to go by. It just goes to show that even the pro's have weaknesses.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 15/05/03 - 9:38 PM Permalink

Souri: Cheers buddy [:D] I feel all special now lol.

Submitted by adie on Sun, 18/05/03 - 5:34 AM Permalink

Im not very good at drawing house and building but I havent realy draw ..I find the best way to draw hands is to imagin that with onl

Submitted by Major Clod on Sun, 18/05/03 - 10:34 AM Permalink

Anything with angles, perspective, lines... graphics type drawings I am fine with. People I don't think I'm all that bad, but I have a hard time capturing realistic facial likeness. While certainly not a pro, many people including art teachers have commented on my drawing skills, so I guess I can't be all that bad! :P Looking forward to the speed paint tomorrow night... It will be interesting to see how I go in Photoshop, I barely ever use it for actual drawings!

Submitted by Groady on Fri, 23/05/03 - 8:34 AM Permalink

I tend to draw characters the most. I feel I am concious about anatomy most of the time however I have a cartoony style. My biggest weakness is technical drawing such as scenes with perspective and vehicles. My biggest challenge is turning off my pc and actually going and drawing somthing with pencil and paper. Need to draw more from life dammit!

Submitted by ironikart on Mon, 26/05/03 - 10:13 PM Permalink

When drawing human forms I always have trouble with feet and lower legs. I usually cover it up with some bulky boots or something and that does the trick!

Submitted by souri on Tue, 27/05/03 - 12:28 AM Permalink

I love drawing the human form too. I wish I had time to go and do some real life drawing again. That was real fun. We got to draw a huge range of body types using different materials. From old ladies, to men and females. Sometimes we had to capture them entirely within 30 seconds. It was great.

Submitted by Brain on Tue, 27/05/03 - 1:52 AM Permalink

I've been heading along to life drawing hosted by QPix over at Wooloongabba. It'll be my second session tonight if I get along. More info here: http://www.qa.org.au/

Should get a buncha Sumeans along. $10 for non-members is pretty goodly.

Submitted by trankillity on Tue, 01/07/03 - 7:28 AM Permalink

Just a bit of science to plug away here behind the whole creative drawing aspect.

The brain is comprised of two hemispheres, the left and the right. The left controls technical reasoning, mathematical judgement and spatial awareness whereas the right side controls pretty much everything creative.

People who are "left brained" are usually engineers, architects, mathmaticians, scientists and the like while people who are right brained are pretty much all artists in some form or another. Therefore if you're able to draw perspective easily and able to picture things in 3D without needing to draw them then you're more left brained and are less likely to be able to draw natural/organic shapes easily. If you are more "right brained" then you'll find concepts such as perspective challenging but will be able to draw realistic organic objects.

Unfortunately for a large chunk of people (including myself), we never realised that art/design/3D could be so rewarding until it was too late and are stuck with VERY meager drawing skills I, for one, don't get any better at all with my drawing no matter how much I attempt to practice it. I am able to very easily visualise objects in 3D space but can't portray that on paper because of my attempted melding of the two hemispheres of the brain (going from doing technical subjects such as physics, engineering and graphics at school to needing things like art and design at uni is painful).

In other news, I would be interested in going to those life drawing lessons when I get a bit better at drawing and can afford them :S

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Tue, 01/07/03 - 8:43 PM Permalink

I actually quite like doing technical drawings as I took a tech drawing/graphic design class all through school. It used to bore me but I'm quite glad now that I can drawing machinery etc. to a good standard.

What I do have trouble with is parts of women. Usually with the lower face - lips (hard to look feminine), jawline (hard to look soft) and chin. Hairstyles aren't too bad, providing I've got some sort of reference.

My anatomy is pretty good, as I've got muscularity down pretty well now, but my knowledge of the veins is pretty weak. No better way to make someone look tough than to have a few bulging bicep veins. Having said that, the tendons in the hand provide a bit of trouble from time to time as well.

Of course, like most others here, drawing these things with a reference is easy, but trying to draw from your head is the tough part.

JPK

Submitted by sho nuff on Tue, 01/07/03 - 11:15 PM Permalink

I think at the end of the day, so long as it looks like it works, it doesnt matter where u put the veins or the extra muscle (people do this alot on backs) because unless ur a full bottle on the subjects true proportions and technicalities, nobody's gonna know you cheated. And if nobody knows, where is the harm?

Jonathan, unless ur sketch jobs are for something exact, so long as ur proportions are right, and u have a modest idea on anatomy, u shouldnt sweat the small stuff. And if u don't believe me, Joe Maduriera never took an anatomy class in his life, and his work still rocks.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 01/07/03 - 11:27 PM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by trankillity

Unfortunately for a large chunk of people (including myself), we never realised that art/design/3D could be so rewarding until it was too late and are stuck with VERY meager drawing skills I, for one, don't get any better at all with my drawing no matter how much I attempt to practice it.

I've read a story about a 40-45yr old who decided to pick up painting as a new hobby, even though they've never painted before in their life. He became quite competant within a few years of practise (and I'm talking about some really *great* looking paintings - I wish I could remember his name so yuo can look up his work). It's never too late, I reckon! (I'm actually looking forward to when I'm 60 and I can sit down and paint all day)

Submitted by trankillity on Thu, 03/07/03 - 9:07 AM Permalink

No, it's never too late. But being schooled in either left/right brain psychology makes it a lot harder to pick up.

Submitted by Malus on Thu, 03/07/03 - 9:21 AM Permalink

my grandmother took up oils at the age of 76 and is practically a master at the age of 77 !!!

Submitted by Kezza on Tue, 22/07/03 - 8:20 AM Permalink

hands... bloody hands, closely followed by bare feet.
I can never get the shape or placement of the joints right.