Inter-Arts Office - News Alert
Urban Screens Melbourne 08 is the third, ground-breaking international conference and multimedia exhibition in a series of worldwide Urban Screens events. It will mark the official launch of the International Urban Screens Association and will take place 3-8 October 2008 at Federation Square, Melbourne.
Conference: Mobile Publics 3-5 October 2008
Outdoor Multimedia Program: 3-8 October 2008
The event will promote a lateral trans-disciplinary approach to exploring the global transformation of public culture in the context of large new multi media precincts such as Federation Square and various networked forms of urban screens. It will build on the successful events held in Amsterdam in 2005 and Manchester in 2007 and will be the first Urban Screens held in the Asia-Pacific region.
Through an integrated program of keynote lectures, panel sessions, workshops, curated screenings and multimedia projects, it will bring together leading Australian and international artists and curators, architects and urban planners, screen operators and content providers, technology manufacturers, software designers and public intellectuals.
The types of works they are seeking include interactive, performance based and participatory projects such as:
* Interactive software applications for urban screens
* Participatory community projects using creative digital practices
* Live media art merging performance and new media
* Community displays for education and exchange
* Virtual/real world hybrid projects using streaming content
* Real-time generated content
* Screen related sound experiments
* Digital storytelling projects
* Mobile games using urban space as social and educative playground
* Connecting mobile culture of locative media with urban screens
For further details on submissions please see http://urbanscreens08.net.