Skip to main content

Email Virus forging headers with Sumea email addre

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I've been receiving a tonne of these recently - I'm getting emails which claim to come from sumea.com.au and have an attached virus.. The body of the message says it's a link to a Sumea forum message, but of course if you click it, you're going to get infected...

Obviously, a few of you have been infected and your address book is sending out a tonne of email with forged headers, some saying it's from Sumea. >.<

I thought I was getting these emails myself, until I stumbled onto another site which seems to be [url="http://www.forumplanet.com/planetunreal/topic.asp?fid=3711&tid=1480377"]having the same problem[/url]...

Just a note, I don't even have Outlook set up, and I do all my email through a web based interface which is offered with my hosting plan, so I'm not sending out these bogus emails.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 13/09/04 - 7:14 PM Permalink

That sucks, do you have an example of a subject line of one of these emails so we know what to be aware off?

I can't understand why people don't have virus checkers, firewalls etc these days. [:P]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/09/04 - 3:48 AM Permalink

I've deleted all those messages but I will post it here when I get the next one.. It's obvious to spot because the link to the forum message in the body is actually wrong (I think it says something like sumea.com.au/messages?id=2832837.. not that it actually goes to that url anwyay.)

The body of the message is brief and says something to the tune of "you have received a forum message at...", so it's not hard to get suckered into clicking it if you already receive similar emails from Sumea by subscribing to certain forum sections/messages or someone has sent you an email through the forum..

And yeh, because I send an email out to every person who registers for a Sumea profile, or the mailer sends an email out to every person who registers (thus I'm in a lot of peoples address books), I tend to get a tonne of spam when there's a new email virus breakout.. this one pisses me off most because it's duping people by pretending to be from the site.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 21/09/04 - 12:38 PM Permalink

Just did a quick search on that email text.. looks like one/some of you are infected with a typical Outlook email virus.

[url="http://www.mac-net.com/402087.page"]More details here[/url].

Posted by souri on
Forum

I've been receiving a tonne of these recently - I'm getting emails which claim to come from sumea.com.au and have an attached virus.. The body of the message says it's a link to a Sumea forum message, but of course if you click it, you're going to get infected...

Obviously, a few of you have been infected and your address book is sending out a tonne of email with forged headers, some saying it's from Sumea. >.<

I thought I was getting these emails myself, until I stumbled onto another site which seems to be [url="http://www.forumplanet.com/planetunreal/topic.asp?fid=3711&tid=1480377"]having the same problem[/url]...

Just a note, I don't even have Outlook set up, and I do all my email through a web based interface which is offered with my hosting plan, so I'm not sending out these bogus emails.

Submitted by Malus on Mon, 13/09/04 - 7:14 PM Permalink

That sucks, do you have an example of a subject line of one of these emails so we know what to be aware off?

I can't understand why people don't have virus checkers, firewalls etc these days. [:P]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 14/09/04 - 3:48 AM Permalink

I've deleted all those messages but I will post it here when I get the next one.. It's obvious to spot because the link to the forum message in the body is actually wrong (I think it says something like sumea.com.au/messages?id=2832837.. not that it actually goes to that url anwyay.)

The body of the message is brief and says something to the tune of "you have received a forum message at...", so it's not hard to get suckered into clicking it if you already receive similar emails from Sumea by subscribing to certain forum sections/messages or someone has sent you an email through the forum..

And yeh, because I send an email out to every person who registers for a Sumea profile, or the mailer sends an email out to every person who registers (thus I'm in a lot of peoples address books), I tend to get a tonne of spam when there's a new email virus breakout.. this one pisses me off most because it's duping people by pretending to be from the site.

Submitted by souri on Tue, 21/09/04 - 12:38 PM Permalink

Just did a quick search on that email text.. looks like one/some of you are infected with a typical Outlook email virus.

[url="http://www.mac-net.com/402087.page"]More details here[/url].