Skip to main content

How to get smooth lighting in UnrealEd?

Submitted by selwyn on
Forum

I?ve created a whole bunch of road static meshes that snap together for UnrealEd. They seem to be working well except that the lighting isn?t that smooth between some of them.
See[url="http://www.deviantart.com/view/8991527/"]here[/url] for example.

Is there something I can do to fix this?

Submitted by Me109 on Mon, 19/07/04 - 10:27 PM Permalink

hmmm.. check to see you have vertex lighting enabled in the static mesh window/tab, as default when you import them they have vertex lighting off... that should let the lighting be mapped correctly..

Submitted by selwyn on Tue, 20/07/04 - 6:19 AM Permalink

That didn't seem to work Me109. I couldn't actually find "vertex lighting" in the Static Mesh window. There was only "UseVertex colour", which is what I assume you meant, and selected it to "true". But if there is a "lighting" tab can you please explain to me where it is.

I had a look at the map "DM-TokaraForest" because it has static meshes with a similar structure to my roads. Basically straight sections and sections that curve up. The lighting is fine on these, and I can't work out why. I looked at these Static Meshes in the window and found that there "UseVertex colour" was set to "false" anyway.

I'm going to keep on trying stuff, but if you or anyone else could help it would be really appreciated.

Submitted by Me109 on Tue, 20/07/04 - 7:59 PM Permalink

just wondering if your static meshes are capped? or have poly at where the two segment are to meet?

Posted by selwyn on
Forum

I?ve created a whole bunch of road static meshes that snap together for UnrealEd. They seem to be working well except that the lighting isn?t that smooth between some of them.
See[url="http://www.deviantart.com/view/8991527/"]here[/url] for example.

Is there something I can do to fix this?

Submitted by Me109 on Mon, 19/07/04 - 10:27 PM Permalink

hmmm.. check to see you have vertex lighting enabled in the static mesh window/tab, as default when you import them they have vertex lighting off... that should let the lighting be mapped correctly..

Submitted by selwyn on Tue, 20/07/04 - 6:19 AM Permalink

That didn't seem to work Me109. I couldn't actually find "vertex lighting" in the Static Mesh window. There was only "UseVertex colour", which is what I assume you meant, and selected it to "true". But if there is a "lighting" tab can you please explain to me where it is.

I had a look at the map "DM-TokaraForest" because it has static meshes with a similar structure to my roads. Basically straight sections and sections that curve up. The lighting is fine on these, and I can't work out why. I looked at these Static Meshes in the window and found that there "UseVertex colour" was set to "false" anyway.

I'm going to keep on trying stuff, but if you or anyone else could help it would be really appreciated.

Submitted by Me109 on Tue, 20/07/04 - 7:59 PM Permalink

just wondering if your static meshes are capped? or have poly at where the two segment are to meet?