Skip to main content

Working in the Industry

Submitted by FrEeB@LLiN on
Forum

Hey guys, My name is Gav, I met Souri when he first started this project(SUMEA) quite a ways back in time, anyways, along with a couple of fellow mappers we were invited to display our work here. It has been quite a while since I have been back here(moving house and computer problems), but I have just caught up on most of the subject matter in here and I was wondering how many of you all actually work in the programming industry. I study programming and have done for several years now, It would be fantastic to break into a role in a company where everything is all hunky dory(just any programming role), but everywhere I look people are asking for experience. For those of you who are working, How did you get started? Where did you get started? And what do I have to do to get a foot in a door somewhere?
Absolute bottom level entry doesnt worry me in the slightest, as long as I am learning and the old grey matter is ticking over, I am happy as a pig in *&%^.
Lastly, nice to see you all here, hope all is well with everyone
Will check back soon
Gav(FrEeB@LLiN)

Submitted by Kezza on Sat, 26/04/03 - 9:27 AM Permalink

Look, I'm in pretty much the same situation as you... not in the industry but wanting to be (as soon as i finish my degree).

However the advice I have been given is to maintain friends and people you know who are in the games industry. The other thing is that most educational qualifications don't count at all compared to one of two things : 1 work on a previously released game (good+), 2 personal projects that are finished & complete

I'm just going by what i've been told though.

Submitted by FrEeB@LLiN on Mon, 28/04/03 - 3:54 AM Permalink

Thnx heaps Kezza, hope all goes well for you in the future. I really have no doubt that many of the people associated with this site are going to be masters of the gaming industry in the no to distant future. Take care all.
FrEeB@LLiN

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 14/05/03 - 10:29 AM Permalink

I'm in same boat...studying at Uni (would nearly consider it a waste of time if it weren't for the fact it's a pretty good resource) and don't have quite the ability just yet to run off into the industry.
I imagine alot of people on these forums are at this stage...although some have recently made the transition to actual industry figures (just look for the people whose post rates have dropped) :)

Forum

Hey guys, My name is Gav, I met Souri when he first started this project(SUMEA) quite a ways back in time, anyways, along with a couple of fellow mappers we were invited to display our work here. It has been quite a while since I have been back here(moving house and computer problems), but I have just caught up on most of the subject matter in here and I was wondering how many of you all actually work in the programming industry. I study programming and have done for several years now, It would be fantastic to break into a role in a company where everything is all hunky dory(just any programming role), but everywhere I look people are asking for experience. For those of you who are working, How did you get started? Where did you get started? And what do I have to do to get a foot in a door somewhere?
Absolute bottom level entry doesnt worry me in the slightest, as long as I am learning and the old grey matter is ticking over, I am happy as a pig in *&%^.
Lastly, nice to see you all here, hope all is well with everyone
Will check back soon
Gav(FrEeB@LLiN)

Submitted by Kezza on Sat, 26/04/03 - 9:27 AM Permalink

Look, I'm in pretty much the same situation as you... not in the industry but wanting to be (as soon as i finish my degree).

However the advice I have been given is to maintain friends and people you know who are in the games industry. The other thing is that most educational qualifications don't count at all compared to one of two things : 1 work on a previously released game (good+), 2 personal projects that are finished & complete

I'm just going by what i've been told though.

Submitted by FrEeB@LLiN on Mon, 28/04/03 - 3:54 AM Permalink

Thnx heaps Kezza, hope all goes well for you in the future. I really have no doubt that many of the people associated with this site are going to be masters of the gaming industry in the no to distant future. Take care all.
FrEeB@LLiN

Submitted by Maitrek on Wed, 14/05/03 - 10:29 AM Permalink

I'm in same boat...studying at Uni (would nearly consider it a waste of time if it weren't for the fact it's a pretty good resource) and don't have quite the ability just yet to run off into the industry.
I imagine alot of people on these forums are at this stage...although some have recently made the transition to actual industry figures (just look for the people whose post rates have dropped) :)