Skip to main content

Brisbane IGDA: BBQ meetup Sunday May 28!

Submitted by LiveWire on

[url]http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.php?s=c76c2c4947f4961102c0b55a99a…]

==========================
Next event: What, who, when, where

WHAT: A casual meetup for developers to relax, see new people, and share advice and stories. This time it?s a BBQ in the park. Bring something to eat or drink, toss it on the barbie, and spend a sunny afternoon. Special bonus: killer croquet!

WHO: Anyone active, once-active, or actively pursuing a career in the game development industry. Those not in the industry and not yet fully dedicated to breaking in, please stay tuned for future events that reach out to the wider community.

WHEN: Sunday, 28 May, from noon into the afternoon.

WHERE: South Bank park. See details below.

FINDING US: There will be a game box on the table to let you know you found the right crowd. If it?s raining, check the BBQ spot and then the Plough. If you can?t find us, call the Help number below.

HELP: Superwoman truna?s number (SMS preferred) is 04 0488 4027. Backup number is Matthew?s: 04 2315 7363.

UPDATES: Before the event, check replies to this event thread to see if there have been any changes in plan.

Directions

We will dominate a barbie on the little island surrounded by a moat at the place marked on the map sent along in the email invitation. A half-moon bridge leads to the island (which makes it highly defensible in case of invasion).

To find it, walk along the curving path with all the curly arches overhead. Start from the middle of South Bank and keep looking to your right till you see the half-moon bridge.

If raining, you can find The Plough Inn marked on the South Bank map boards all about the place. It?s in the middle of the park.

There is plenty of paid parking at South Bank, and some free if you come early.

To learn how to get to South Park and see a big map go to:
[url]http://www.south-bank.net.au/[/url]

Food and drink

We are but a humble organization. Please try to bring a little bit of food or drink to share. We will provide cups, plates, napkins, cutlery, and BBQ tools.

Feel free to use this thread to announce what you are bringing so we do not end up with a thousand sausage buns.

Pass this on

Contagion power! Please forward this message to everyone you know in the game development industry here.

Because this IGDA chapter is strictly against poaching practices, we hope you feel safe sending this invitation to others in your game company.

If you got this invitation second-hand, you should join the low-traffic email list so you get future invitations directly. Simply email brisbaneIGDA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and follow the directions that ensue. Note that you do not have to get a Yahoo userID; you can elect just to join the mailing list without joining the group itself. There are only a few emails a month on that list so don?t be spam-shy; sign up!

The IGDA mailing list is for announcements only. To ask questions and have discussions, please visit the chapter forum.

See you there

Please check forum event thread, please come, please pass this on to other game developers!

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 23/05/06 - 10:30 PM Permalink

Oh and for those of you confused by this part:

"WHO: Anyone active, once-active, or actively pursuing a career in the game development industry. Those not in the industry and not yet fully dedicated to breaking in, please stay tuned for future events that reach out to the wider community."

That means students are encouraged to come along too!

Submitted by Caroo on Wed, 24/05/06 - 1:27 AM Permalink

Curses!! I'm in meblourne. and it's cold.. i need a BBQ XD

oh well..next time!!

Submitted by Scrow on Wed, 24/05/06 - 10:55 AM Permalink

quote:Originally posted by LiveWire

"WHO: Anyone active, once-active, or actively pursuing a career in the game development industry. Those not in the industry and not yet fully dedicated to breaking in, please stay tuned for future events that reach out to the wider community."

great. i'll definitely try to be there.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 26/05/06 - 2:33 PM Permalink

Can someone spare a few minutes and put the location of this meetup in [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeamaps.asp"]Sumea Maps[/url]? Scroll around the map, get the exact location and click on the area, and the co-ordinates will show up on the right. Copy the longitude and latitude info and go to the update page. Make an entry like I did with the Sydney Opera House but with the new co-ordinates.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 26/05/06 - 6:36 PM Permalink

Ok, i found the co-ordinates and entered them in the Wiki, but i cant figure out how to place a marker on the map. I can click and place a marker, but I dont know how to save and edit it's name and location.

Submitted by Scrow on Mon, 29/05/06 - 5:41 AM Permalink

fun times guys. it was good meeting some new people and putting faces to a few names, though I think i've already forgotten some names :(

oh and so you know who I am, my name is Glen; the tall lanky guy who wanted to play croquet without his shoes on. speaking of which, awesome game.

Submitted by MarkQ on Mon, 29/05/06 - 7:48 AM Permalink

I enjoyed myself, kept pretty quiet because I didnt really know anyone. Oh, Im Mark, I was wearing the red cap :p

Submitted by souri on Tue, 30/05/06 - 3:07 AM Permalink

Ok, i found the co-ordinates and entered them in the Wiki, but i cant figure out how to place a marker on the map. I can click and place a marker, but I dont know how to save and edit it's name and location.

Thanks for entering them. The markers are read from a seperate xml file and not the wiki, so that's why you can't enter them. I'll be tranferring what people add to the wiki to the xml list, so eventually there will be markers for everything.

Just a note on Sumea maps, I've been updating everything to the new google maps v2 api, and had to replaced all the previous javascript. Most of the functionality is back except passing co-ordinates through the url hasn't been implemented yet. The new google maps version is pretty cool, and you can now see the street names and addresses in the "map" style.

Posted by LiveWire on

[url]http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.php?s=c76c2c4947f4961102c0b55a99a…]

Next event: What, who, when, where

WHAT: A casual meetup for developers to relax, see new people, and share advice and stories. This time it?s a BBQ in the park. Bring something to eat or drink, toss it on the barbie, and spend a sunny afternoon. Special bonus: killer croquet!

WHO: Anyone active, once-active, or actively pursuing a career in the game development industry. Those not in the industry and not yet fully dedicated to breaking in, please stay tuned for future events that reach out to the wider community.

WHEN: Sunday, 28 May, from noon into the afternoon.

WHERE: South Bank park. See details below.

FINDING US: There will be a game box on the table to let you know you found the right crowd. If it?s raining, check the BBQ spot and then the Plough. If you can?t find us, call the Help number below.

HELP: Superwoman truna?s number (SMS preferred) is 04 0488 4027. Backup number is Matthew?s: 04 2315 7363.

UPDATES: Before the event, check replies to this event thread to see if there have been any changes in plan.

Directions

We will dominate a barbie on the little island surrounded by a moat at the place marked on the map sent along in the email invitation. A half-moon bridge leads to the island (which makes it highly defensible in case of invasion).

To find it, walk along the curving path with all the curly arches overhead. Start from the middle of South Bank and keep looking to your right till you see the half-moon bridge.

If raining, you can find The Plough Inn marked on the South Bank map boards all about the place. It?s in the middle of the park.

There is plenty of paid parking at South Bank, and some free if you come early.

To learn how to get to South Park and see a big map go to:
[url]http://www.south-bank.net.au/[/url]

Food and drink

We are but a humble organization. Please try to bring a little bit of food or drink to share. We will provide cups, plates, napkins, cutlery, and BBQ tools.

Feel free to use this thread to announce what you are bringing so we do not end up with a thousand sausage buns.

Pass this on

Contagion power! Please forward this message to everyone you know in the game development industry here.

Because this IGDA chapter is strictly against poaching practices, we hope you feel safe sending this invitation to others in your game company.

If you got this invitation second-hand, you should join the low-traffic email list so you get future invitations directly. Simply email brisbaneIGDA-subscribe@yahoogroups.com and follow the directions that ensue. Note that you do not have to get a Yahoo userID; you can elect just to join the mailing list without joining the group itself. There are only a few emails a month on that list so don?t be spam-shy; sign up!

The IGDA mailing list is for announcements only. To ask questions and have discussions, please visit the chapter forum.

See you there

Please check forum event thread, please come, please pass this on to other game developers!

Submitted by LiveWire on Tue, 23/05/06 - 10:30 PM Permalink

Submitted by Caroo on Wed, 24/05/06 - 1:27 AM Permalink

Curses!! I'm in meblourne. and it's cold.. i need a BBQ XD

oh well..next time!!

Submitted by Scrow on Wed, 24/05/06 - 10:55 AM Permalink

great. i'll definitely try to be there.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 26/05/06 - 2:33 PM Permalink

Can someone spare a few minutes and put the location of this meetup in [url="http://www.sumea.com.au/sumeamaps.asp"]Sumea Maps[/url]? Scroll around the map, get the exact location and click on the area, and the co-ordinates will show up on the right. Copy the longitude and latitude info and go to the update page. Make an entry like I did with the Sydney Opera House but with the new co-ordinates.

Submitted by LiveWire on Fri, 26/05/06 - 6:36 PM Permalink

Submitted by Scrow on Mon, 29/05/06 - 5:41 AM Permalink

fun times guys. it was good meeting some new people and putting faces to a few names, though I think i've already forgotten some names :(

oh and so you know who I am, my name is Glen; the tall lanky guy who wanted to play croquet without his shoes on. speaking of which, awesome game.

Submitted by MarkQ on Mon, 29/05/06 - 7:48 AM Permalink

I enjoyed myself, kept pretty quiet because I didnt really know anyone. Oh, Im Mark, I was wearing the red cap :p

Submitted by souri on Tue, 30/05/06 - 3:07 AM Permalink

Thanks for entering them. The markers are read from a seperate xml file and not the wiki, so that's why you can't enter them. I'll be tranferring what people add to the wiki to the xml list, so eventually there will be markers for everything.

Just a note on Sumea maps, I've been updating everything to the new google maps v2 api, and had to replaced all the previous javascript. Most of the functionality is back except passing co-ordinates through the url hasn't been implemented yet. The new google maps version is pretty cool, and you can now see the street names and addresses in the "map" style.