Skip to main content

Looking for advice about game testing

Submitted by grayworks on

Hi there! I've been a gamer for a number of years and I'm currently studying aviation at uni. Anyways I was wondering what the best things are to get into the game testing arena? Things such as qualifications or knowing people within the organisation etc. Any advice would be great

Cheers

Submitted by Brawsome on Fri, 24/08/07 - 10:54 AM Permalink

You don't need any qualifications, in fact, you don't even need to be a gamer (but it helps). You have to be enthusiastic, have good communications skills, and be good at breaking a game.

Contact local companies in your area (check the Developer section of Sumea), and ask them about testing positions. Many companies hire testers as casual staff members when they have a batch of testing they need done, so if you call up at the right time you've got a good chance.

When I applied as a tester I wrote about a page about how much I loved games and wanted to be in the industry, including my favorite games, and my favorite genre's. If you want to demonstrate you can be a tester, grab a game and find 10 bugs (shouldn't be too hard for a PC game), write what the bug is and steps to reproduce. Though from my experience, most testers don't have to go to that much trouble.

Posted by grayworks on

Hi there! I've been a gamer for a number of years and I'm currently studying aviation at uni. Anyways I was wondering what the best things are to get into the game testing arena? Things such as qualifications or knowing people within the organisation etc. Any advice would be great

Cheers

Submitted by Brawsome on Fri, 24/08/07 - 10:54 AM Permalink

You don't need any qualifications, in fact, you don't even need to be a gamer (but it helps). You have to be enthusiastic, have good communications skills, and be good at breaking a game.

Contact local companies in your area (check the Developer section of Sumea), and ask them about testing positions. Many companies hire testers as casual staff members when they have a batch of testing they need done, so if you call up at the right time you've got a good chance.

When I applied as a tester I wrote about a page about how much I loved games and wanted to be in the industry, including my favorite games, and my favorite genre's. If you want to demonstrate you can be a tester, grab a game and find 10 bugs (shouldn't be too hard for a PC game), write what the bug is and steps to reproduce. Though from my experience, most testers don't have to go to that much trouble.