Skip to main content

Who in Briz wants to start up a Game Dev Company?

Submitted by Morphine on
Forum

Any Takers?

I'm up for it. The only thing I'm doing now is waiting on responses from job applications, as well as working on a CS map. I'm bored and fed up with not being employed. Who's interested in making a start up?

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 26/03/04 - 4:40 AM Permalink

How many guys form your arenabattles crew are you still in contact with morphine ? i wouldnt mind catching up with Motze....

BTW its a long hard road, its always good to start off with, but a few months with 0 results and team members start slackening [:D], dont let mean ol me dampen your spirits tho man, go for gold [:D]

tis just bloody hard to find really good help thats going to stick to it till the end.

in saying all of this, could i ask what genre of games youd like to be involved with making most ??

Submitted by matias on Fri, 26/03/04 - 6:40 AM Permalink

I'm interested and recently moved to Brisbane to look for work... but whats your plan, are you looking to get a small business loan and pay people or are you looking for people just to volunteer?

Submitted by Morphine on Sat, 27/03/04 - 11:14 AM Permalink

Not sure at the moment. Just seeing if there is enough interest out there to start one. If there isn't, well there won't be one.

Genres: I'm pretty open to anything. I was really annoyed when Lucas Arts canned the Sam & Max Sequel. I don't think that there is any good strategy game out there at the moment. I enjoyed Monkey Island 4. Should be more of these types out there. Heaps of fun and great for working the ol' noggin (7th hour? and 11th hour springs to mind) [8D].

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 27/03/04 - 12:33 PM Permalink

Hmmm morhpine im sure youll know me if i saw you - i was the guy that always wore the trenchcoat that went all the way to the ground - and massive calf high leather boots with buckles and shit up the sides. not the goth guy tho,..

anyways i wouldnt mind meeting up with you one day see if we cant bounce some ideas off each other... send me an email with your msn or mobile number man and we should meet up at some stage...i wont release my secrets here ..... yet :D

matias id also like to meet up with you man - i see massive potential in your art........

Submitted by matias on Sat, 27/03/04 - 9:48 PM Permalink

yeah I'd like that HazarD, it would be cool to get an idea of whats going on.

Id be really interested Morphine, but it would have to serious, I know it sounds a bit arrogant coming from a guy with no game dev experience but I am looking for paid employment, I gots me bills to pay!(like everyone else I suppose[:p]). Either way I'd like to meet up some time. I did a small business course(a semester) a uni and am not a businessman(by any stretch of the imagination) but it was putting together a businessplan to show to a bank to get a loan, or get a gov grant(smaller) I can say it was hard work so I wouldn't think it would get easier for real life[:)] I dont want to sound negetive, because I am keen, but cautious!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 28/03/04 - 12:00 AM Permalink

Matias - what genre of games are you keen in working on ?

Submitted by matias on Sun, 28/03/04 - 12:25 AM Permalink

Well, I am a fan of rpgs but thats just when I'm playing, I would be open to work on just about anything, I have to admit tho I not a big sports game fan...
I swing both ways when it comes to sci-fantasy![;)]

Submitted by fiasco on Sun, 28/03/04 - 11:50 PM Permalink

jeez guys..

/chucks in his 2c

putting a dev company together is a huge undertaking -- especially financially. hardware and lease aside your still looking at a multi-million dollar enterprise.

i don't want to be the ominous voice of reason, but guys, you should think about developing a part-time demo and then try to draw some interest, which will be equally difficult to be sure.

fiaz.

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 1:02 AM Permalink

fiasco - im completely aware of the undertakings of putting something together, what gave you an impression that i didnt or dont. im pretty sure every user on this forum has heard every horror story there is about starting something up, and im sure the original post by morphine wasnt placed here based just of a whim or fantasy of HOPING something might fall into place.

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 29/03/04 - 4:00 AM Permalink

http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1545
Here's a link to a thread Barry Dahlberg did about starting new companies. It's very informative, some of you have prolly read it, but it's good.

Anywhu, i think it's great you guys are getting a new one together. There's an enormous amount of talent there, Hazards all round brilliance, Matias's insane concepts and though i've yet to see your work morphine, are you a programmer or an artist. With that much potential i don't see why you can't be the next big thing. Just one thing always keep a character modelling position for me, right guys.

I've also taken the initiative to think of a name for you guys, how about "Hazards allround brilliance, Matias's insane concept art and yet to see Morphines work Interactive" <--------- Catchy hay :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 5:58 AM Permalink

HAHA thanks for that bullet21 sounds like a pretty catchy name to me :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 6:03 AM Permalink

well if i WAS forming something,.. it wouldnt be a throw together - and more than likely definately not consist of a group of people who simply want to make something :D

unfortunately it takes a little bit more than just a whole bunch of individual superstars to become a sucess in this day and age.... sorry if i sounded like i snapped fiasco - didnt mean to come across like that :D also you didnt offend - just came out like you assumed we had no idea what we were getting into.

Submitted by Morphine on Mon, 29/03/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

Sorry about the lack of posts, don't have the internet at home yet. But hopefully I'll be able to get some ADSL happening soon :)

Okay Dokey, I know that starting up a business would be a huge undertaking, with the likelihood of approaching the government for grants and starting on the NEIS program (New Enterprise Incentive Scheme). Not alot of fun, more training yes, and not alot of incoming money (I'm on NewStart atm). I wouldn't be able to pay anyone because I wouldn't have any money to pay you with :(

We would all like money but unfortunately this wouldn't be a possibility for maybe the first 6 months, depending on if we are extremely fortunate to get a deal with a publisher. But, we'd have to have a demo, documentation and heaps of PR stuff (Concept Art, etc), and as HazarD and I definitely know from the Qantm course we've done, that's no easy task within 6 months, especially if you have to be pulling up the slack from people that aren't pulling their weight in the project. The entire Project document from my team weighed in at 500+ pages!! (it sucked doing it but well worth it in the long run).

At the moment, we should probably see if anyone is willing to get together in Brisbane and throw some ideas around and we might be able to get something constructive out of it, and possibly the next EA, who knows!! :)

I don't have work online for you guys to look at, but I do have a website I did for the team I worked with during my Qantm Course. goto [url]www.skumindustries.com[/url] I did the website myself, and it has a few screenies of Arena Battles, the demo we created. We completed the game in approx 4-5 months with 6 people in the team (plus 2 artists).

HazarD, Motze was an awesome artist, 3d and conceptually, but he remains to be as elusive now as he was when we were trying to contact him when we were at Qantm. He'd be great to be a 3d artist on the team. Only prob I'd find with him would be his style is heavily into manga/anime, and I'm not sure how he'd handle different styles. But, I'd be more than willing to give him a go and see what happens.

BTW, what team were you on HazarD? The Goth guy was Adu, one of our artists :) He's cool, his work rocks.

That's all for now, my fingers hurt from typing [:D]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 30/03/04 - 1:37 PM Permalink

Just thought I'd pop in and say you should consider going to Freeplay: Nextwave's Independant Game Developers' conference. I'm sure the burning question most potential independant developers are wondering is where to start, funding etc. Hopefully you'll find out what your options are there and maybe network with other people who have some experience in that area. If you're serious about getting something started, I reckon it's worth attending. Definately worth the $30 entry ticket.

Posted by Morphine on
Forum

Any Takers?

I'm up for it. The only thing I'm doing now is waiting on responses from job applications, as well as working on a CS map. I'm bored and fed up with not being employed. Who's interested in making a start up?

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 26/03/04 - 4:40 AM Permalink

How many guys form your arenabattles crew are you still in contact with morphine ? i wouldnt mind catching up with Motze....

BTW its a long hard road, its always good to start off with, but a few months with 0 results and team members start slackening [:D], dont let mean ol me dampen your spirits tho man, go for gold [:D]

tis just bloody hard to find really good help thats going to stick to it till the end.

in saying all of this, could i ask what genre of games youd like to be involved with making most ??

Submitted by matias on Fri, 26/03/04 - 6:40 AM Permalink

I'm interested and recently moved to Brisbane to look for work... but whats your plan, are you looking to get a small business loan and pay people or are you looking for people just to volunteer?

Submitted by Morphine on Sat, 27/03/04 - 11:14 AM Permalink

Not sure at the moment. Just seeing if there is enough interest out there to start one. If there isn't, well there won't be one.

Genres: I'm pretty open to anything. I was really annoyed when Lucas Arts canned the Sam & Max Sequel. I don't think that there is any good strategy game out there at the moment. I enjoyed Monkey Island 4. Should be more of these types out there. Heaps of fun and great for working the ol' noggin (7th hour? and 11th hour springs to mind) [8D].

Submitted by Kalescent on Sat, 27/03/04 - 12:33 PM Permalink

Hmmm morhpine im sure youll know me if i saw you - i was the guy that always wore the trenchcoat that went all the way to the ground - and massive calf high leather boots with buckles and shit up the sides. not the goth guy tho,..

anyways i wouldnt mind meeting up with you one day see if we cant bounce some ideas off each other... send me an email with your msn or mobile number man and we should meet up at some stage...i wont release my secrets here ..... yet :D

matias id also like to meet up with you man - i see massive potential in your art........

Submitted by matias on Sat, 27/03/04 - 9:48 PM Permalink

yeah I'd like that HazarD, it would be cool to get an idea of whats going on.

Id be really interested Morphine, but it would have to serious, I know it sounds a bit arrogant coming from a guy with no game dev experience but I am looking for paid employment, I gots me bills to pay!(like everyone else I suppose[:p]). Either way I'd like to meet up some time. I did a small business course(a semester) a uni and am not a businessman(by any stretch of the imagination) but it was putting together a businessplan to show to a bank to get a loan, or get a gov grant(smaller) I can say it was hard work so I wouldn't think it would get easier for real life[:)] I dont want to sound negetive, because I am keen, but cautious!

Submitted by Kalescent on Sun, 28/03/04 - 12:00 AM Permalink

Matias - what genre of games are you keen in working on ?

Submitted by matias on Sun, 28/03/04 - 12:25 AM Permalink

Well, I am a fan of rpgs but thats just when I'm playing, I would be open to work on just about anything, I have to admit tho I not a big sports game fan...
I swing both ways when it comes to sci-fantasy![;)]

Submitted by fiasco on Sun, 28/03/04 - 11:50 PM Permalink

jeez guys..

/chucks in his 2c

putting a dev company together is a huge undertaking -- especially financially. hardware and lease aside your still looking at a multi-million dollar enterprise.

i don't want to be the ominous voice of reason, but guys, you should think about developing a part-time demo and then try to draw some interest, which will be equally difficult to be sure.

fiaz.

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 1:02 AM Permalink

fiasco - im completely aware of the undertakings of putting something together, what gave you an impression that i didnt or dont. im pretty sure every user on this forum has heard every horror story there is about starting something up, and im sure the original post by morphine wasnt placed here based just of a whim or fantasy of HOPING something might fall into place.

Submitted by bullet21 on Mon, 29/03/04 - 4:00 AM Permalink

http://www.sumea.com.au/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1545
Here's a link to a thread Barry Dahlberg did about starting new companies. It's very informative, some of you have prolly read it, but it's good.

Anywhu, i think it's great you guys are getting a new one together. There's an enormous amount of talent there, Hazards all round brilliance, Matias's insane concepts and though i've yet to see your work morphine, are you a programmer or an artist. With that much potential i don't see why you can't be the next big thing. Just one thing always keep a character modelling position for me, right guys.

I've also taken the initiative to think of a name for you guys, how about "Hazards allround brilliance, Matias's insane concept art and yet to see Morphines work Interactive" <--------- Catchy hay :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 5:58 AM Permalink

HAHA thanks for that bullet21 sounds like a pretty catchy name to me :D

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 6:03 AM Permalink

well if i WAS forming something,.. it wouldnt be a throw together - and more than likely definately not consist of a group of people who simply want to make something :D

unfortunately it takes a little bit more than just a whole bunch of individual superstars to become a sucess in this day and age.... sorry if i sounded like i snapped fiasco - didnt mean to come across like that :D also you didnt offend - just came out like you assumed we had no idea what we were getting into.

Submitted by Morphine on Mon, 29/03/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

Sorry about the lack of posts, don't have the internet at home yet. But hopefully I'll be able to get some ADSL happening soon :)

Okay Dokey, I know that starting up a business would be a huge undertaking, with the likelihood of approaching the government for grants and starting on the NEIS program (New Enterprise Incentive Scheme). Not alot of fun, more training yes, and not alot of incoming money (I'm on NewStart atm). I wouldn't be able to pay anyone because I wouldn't have any money to pay you with :(

We would all like money but unfortunately this wouldn't be a possibility for maybe the first 6 months, depending on if we are extremely fortunate to get a deal with a publisher. But, we'd have to have a demo, documentation and heaps of PR stuff (Concept Art, etc), and as HazarD and I definitely know from the Qantm course we've done, that's no easy task within 6 months, especially if you have to be pulling up the slack from people that aren't pulling their weight in the project. The entire Project document from my team weighed in at 500+ pages!! (it sucked doing it but well worth it in the long run).

At the moment, we should probably see if anyone is willing to get together in Brisbane and throw some ideas around and we might be able to get something constructive out of it, and possibly the next EA, who knows!! :)

I don't have work online for you guys to look at, but I do have a website I did for the team I worked with during my Qantm Course. goto [url]www.skumindustries.com[/url] I did the website myself, and it has a few screenies of Arena Battles, the demo we created. We completed the game in approx 4-5 months with 6 people in the team (plus 2 artists).

HazarD, Motze was an awesome artist, 3d and conceptually, but he remains to be as elusive now as he was when we were trying to contact him when we were at Qantm. He'd be great to be a 3d artist on the team. Only prob I'd find with him would be his style is heavily into manga/anime, and I'm not sure how he'd handle different styles. But, I'd be more than willing to give him a go and see what happens.

BTW, what team were you on HazarD? The Goth guy was Adu, one of our artists :) He's cool, his work rocks.

That's all for now, my fingers hurt from typing [:D]

Submitted by souri on Tue, 30/03/04 - 1:37 PM Permalink

Just thought I'd pop in and say you should consider going to Freeplay: Nextwave's Independant Game Developers' conference. I'm sure the burning question most potential independant developers are wondering is where to start, funding etc. Hopefully you'll find out what your options are there and maybe network with other people who have some experience in that area. If you're serious about getting something started, I reckon it's worth attending. Definately worth the $30 entry ticket.