Skip to main content

Asp Carriage Return help

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Ok, I'm almost at my wits end here - I've searched everywhere for an answer but I can't find it. I'm working on a newsfeeder on Sumea so any website can grab news/jobs headers from this site. I've done all the hard stuff already (the headers are spat out in a text file and it's automated so this happens 3 times a day by itself etc)... but I'm stumped at this simple thing. I can't get a darn carriage return happening. None of these will give me a carriage return for example.

<%=chr(10)%>
<%=chr(13)%>
<%=chr(10) & chr(13)%>
<%=vbcrlf%>
<% response.write "Hello," & chr(10) & "Dolly" %>

I can't use
(it's for a txt file, not a html page.. Javascript is going to read the txt file), and the ascii equivalents of carriage return #13; and line feed #10; doesnt work either . Any ideas??

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 26/04/04 - 9:54 PM Permalink

0x0d 13 '
' Carrige Return
0x0a 10 '
' Line Feed

In DOS/Windows you need a Carrige Return and then a Line Feed, so 0x0D then 0x0A. In Linux/Unix it's only a line feed, and on Apple/Mac it's only a Carrige Return...

But for ASP scripting I have no real idea, you could insert the character '
' or something, since that works in C & Co... ?

Submitted by souri on Mon, 26/04/04 - 10:52 PM Permalink

Yeh, <%=chr(13) & chr(10)%> is a carriage return and line feed.. Anyways, I figured out what the problem was. The carriage returns were in there, it's just with the way I was looking at them (printing the results on an asp page), you wouldnt see them. Saved the results as a txt file on the server, and the carriage returns were definately there.

Posted by souri on
Forum

Ok, I'm almost at my wits end here - I've searched everywhere for an answer but I can't find it. I'm working on a newsfeeder on Sumea so any website can grab news/jobs headers from this site. I've done all the hard stuff already (the headers are spat out in a text file and it's automated so this happens 3 times a day by itself etc)... but I'm stumped at this simple thing. I can't get a darn carriage return happening. None of these will give me a carriage return for example.

<%=chr(10)%>
<%=chr(13)%>
<%=chr(10) & chr(13)%>
<%=vbcrlf%>
<% response.write "Hello," & chr(10) & "Dolly" %>

I can't use
(it's for a txt file, not a html page.. Javascript is going to read the txt file), and the ascii equivalents of carriage return #13; and line feed #10; doesnt work either . Any ideas??

Submitted by Daemin on Mon, 26/04/04 - 9:54 PM Permalink

0x0d 13 '
' Carrige Return
0x0a 10 '
' Line Feed

In DOS/Windows you need a Carrige Return and then a Line Feed, so 0x0D then 0x0A. In Linux/Unix it's only a line feed, and on Apple/Mac it's only a Carrige Return...

But for ASP scripting I have no real idea, you could insert the character '
' or something, since that works in C & Co... ?

Submitted by souri on Mon, 26/04/04 - 10:52 PM Permalink

Yeh, <%=chr(13) & chr(10)%> is a carriage return and line feed.. Anyways, I figured out what the problem was. The carriage returns were in there, it's just with the way I was looking at them (printing the results on an asp page), you wouldnt see them. Saved the results as a txt file on the server, and the carriage returns were definately there.