Skip to main content

Correcting Bad Pose With BlendShapes - Maya

Submitted by wavescorx on
Forum

I received an e-mail regarding how to correct a character's pose with blendshapes. Here is what it said:

"...the tricky process of sculpting
it in pose, running it through a parallel blender with a duplicate at -1 or
such and extra back the default shape in the base pose, then reapply that
for real. (Or something like that, I forget the exact workflow)."

Does anyone know how to make sense of that? I've got a bird with it's wings folded in and it's just plain ugly. I'd like to be able to adjust it's vertices in it's pose, then save the adjustments as a corrective blend shape for the particular pose. Unfortunately, you get unexpected results - - the thing practically blows up when applying the changed blend shape. So I got the aforementioned e-mail from someone trying to help, except I'm not sure what exactly he's talking about. Can anyone help or point me in the direction of a good tutorial?

Thanks,
Travis

Posted by wavescorx on
Forum

I received an e-mail regarding how to correct a character's pose with blendshapes. Here is what it said:

"...the tricky process of sculpting
it in pose, running it through a parallel blender with a duplicate at -1 or
such and extra back the default shape in the base pose, then reapply that
for real. (Or something like that, I forget the exact workflow)."

Does anyone know how to make sense of that? I've got a bird with it's wings folded in and it's just plain ugly. I'd like to be able to adjust it's vertices in it's pose, then save the adjustments as a corrective blend shape for the particular pose. Unfortunately, you get unexpected results - - the thing practically blows up when applying the changed blend shape. So I got the aforementioned e-mail from someone trying to help, except I'm not sure what exactly he's talking about. Can anyone help or point me in the direction of a good tutorial?

Thanks,
Travis