Skip to main content

Games programming in Darkbasic

Submitted by lukeo25 on
Forum

I have been looking at Darkbasic as a quick developing software. I understand its good with directx and Nvidea stuff ( shaders etc ) but I don't know of anybody who is raving about it. Does any one use it exclusively and is it any good.

Submitted by davidcoen on Fri, 29/08/03 - 9:14 AM Permalink

...um, why nut just use c++ and directx, it is not _that_ scarry... in a few days i had a working data driven framework which loaded geometry, animations and basic controls...

have done content for a darkbasic game, loads .3ds files fine and can play back their animation....

you can do stuff with it, and make a game, but IMHO, you will end up with something that runs at 25% of the speed or a real c++ 'well programmed' game....

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 29/08/03 - 9:16 PM Permalink

I've never seen anybody seriously use DarkBasic to make a game, well except for the people that sell it or are affiliated with it. I suppose it might be a useful tool if you will only program the game for yourself and aim never to actually get into teh games industry as a programmer.

However if getting into the industry as a programmer, or making a decent game that you can pawn off as shareware or something then I would strongly urge you to just use C++ and DirectX or something, maybe even OpenGL to start off with. It's not that hard, I mean even an artist guy like david got something working - I mean really! ;-)

Submitted by toiletfreak on Tue, 17/02/04 - 2:12 AM Permalink

My first language was Basic(or Qbasic)then when my friend let me try out DB(Mr_Flibble) it was quite impressive. DB is good as a starter language(to learn), you can do some more impressive things with DB pro but really to make a good marketable game C++ is prolly best.

Posted by lukeo25 on
Forum

I have been looking at Darkbasic as a quick developing software. I understand its good with directx and Nvidea stuff ( shaders etc ) but I don't know of anybody who is raving about it. Does any one use it exclusively and is it any good.

Submitted by davidcoen on Fri, 29/08/03 - 9:14 AM Permalink

...um, why nut just use c++ and directx, it is not _that_ scarry... in a few days i had a working data driven framework which loaded geometry, animations and basic controls...

have done content for a darkbasic game, loads .3ds files fine and can play back their animation....

you can do stuff with it, and make a game, but IMHO, you will end up with something that runs at 25% of the speed or a real c++ 'well programmed' game....

Submitted by Daemin on Fri, 29/08/03 - 9:16 PM Permalink

I've never seen anybody seriously use DarkBasic to make a game, well except for the people that sell it or are affiliated with it. I suppose it might be a useful tool if you will only program the game for yourself and aim never to actually get into teh games industry as a programmer.

However if getting into the industry as a programmer, or making a decent game that you can pawn off as shareware or something then I would strongly urge you to just use C++ and DirectX or something, maybe even OpenGL to start off with. It's not that hard, I mean even an artist guy like david got something working - I mean really! ;-)

Submitted by toiletfreak on Tue, 17/02/04 - 2:12 AM Permalink

My first language was Basic(or Qbasic)then when my friend let me try out DB(Mr_Flibble) it was quite impressive. DB is good as a starter language(to learn), you can do some more impressive things with DB pro but really to make a good marketable game C++ is prolly best.