Skip to main content

Where'd U find out about Sumea?

Submitted by bullet21 on
Forum

Just curious and there have been a lot of noobie's lately ;), so where'd you find out about sumea?

I heard about it on Conrtol Freak's. They said something like it was vital for any wannabe game developer. Soon as Control Freaks finished i came on to sumea and now i'm addicted :).

Hence my permanent Sumean Presence

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 27/02/04 - 8:18 AM Permalink

I heard about it ages ago from Sorcerer Bob. I didn't want to join at that stage though, as I really didn't have much work that I wanted to show. When the High Poly comp appeared, so did I :) Pity I didn't get to finish it though :(

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 27/02/04 - 8:20 AM Permalink

ahh quite sometime back. sumea came up on google when i was searching for jobs in australia.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Fri, 27/02/04 - 8:36 AM Permalink

Good old google a while back, I was specificly looking for a list of Australia and New Zealand game developers and ended up at Sumea's linkstation, perfect!

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 27/02/04 - 10:03 AM Permalink

I found out about sumea when Souri posted something about it on the Citizen Zero forums :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 27/02/04 - 11:19 AM Permalink

I think I heard about it through Bigkid.com.au -- I think they had a link to an article here.

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 27/02/04 - 7:39 PM Permalink

through a Google search...i think its was the first website that popped up for 'Australian Game Development'...[:D]

Submitted by jwalduck on Fri, 27/02/04 - 8:50 PM Permalink

I learned of Sumea through Pantmonger who I know in real out in the real world.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 27/02/04 - 10:38 PM Permalink

i heard about it from "ironikart" who frequented a forum i used to aswell, he pops up occasionaly to amaze people in comps ;)

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 28/02/04 - 12:37 AM Permalink

Blitz told me about it...

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 28/02/04 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Through the DLF mailout ([url]http://www.dlf.org.au[/url]), that was some time back, but only recently have I immersed myself in the site. Anyone else around here subscribe to the DLF? It's a fantastic resource, recommend it to everyone here.

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 28/02/04 - 3:14 AM Permalink

I think pragma told me about it...

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 28/02/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

I rememer someone (Souri?) posted a topic about it on Polycount. I Didnt join the forums then.
I cant remember why I came back (months after) and joined the forums... just did

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sat, 28/02/04 - 4:11 AM Permalink

Yeah I remember the post on polycount, thats why I joined, that was ages ago

Submitted by tachyon on Sat, 28/02/04 - 10:52 AM Permalink

'twas googling along and stumbled across it

Submitted by souri on Sat, 28/02/04 - 3:00 PM Permalink

I posted that I was seeking fellow local game artists about a developer related site on Polycount's forum about a year and a half ago. Everyone was like "where is it? I wanna see it!". If you search the forum for "Sumea", you might find it there still.

I posted a similar message on the Urban Terror and Quake forum, and that was all I could be buggered doing. [:)] So all our new visitors come mostly from google searches and word-of-mouth. Sometimes lecturers tell their students about it, some of from weblinks from Multimedia Victoria's webpage, the GDAA website, the ABC website etc and then there are special cases like that Control Freaks episode. Sumea was probably one of the first websites to post about that show (before it aired its first slot from its first season), and I kept on posting about what was coming up in the next showing etc, so we gave them some decent coverage. If you look through the forum memberlist, someone from that program (a producer I think) registered here, but they didn't post a message.. bah! [:)]

Anyway, it's interesting to see how you all managed to find this place. I remember when I first put the forum up and started seeing some regular visitors. I was like "holy crap, people are actually coming back!" [;)]

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 29/02/04 - 2:54 AM Permalink

I stumbled across Sumea in a google search for info about qantm. I started reading through the forum and checking out the members art on the main page, and quickly became addicted.

It?s interesting that it?s growing quickly ? I wonder how big it will get??

Submitted by Djenx on Sun, 29/02/04 - 11:54 AM Permalink

I managed to some how stumble across the site in a google search, couldn't believe that There was an actually an Australian forum on the game industry and digital art.......so glad its here [:D]

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 29/02/04 - 12:46 PM Permalink

pants made me do it. (or was it malus)
I any case, they are both Sumea missionaries (read fanboys).

cheers

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 28/02/04 - 10:38 PM Permalink

It seems lots of people found it in google. and djenx i was amazed to i really didn't even know there were aussy developers. I had plans of going to the U.S :)

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 10/03/04 - 11:40 PM Permalink

i just wanna do what Djenx did and point out that this site is absolutely awesome...

i too was amazed when I found it, because I had almost given up hope of finding an Australian Game Development site...

THANK YOU SUMEA!

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 11/03/04 - 3:14 AM Permalink

But is it enough? We need to get the word out and now! The future is Sumea [:)]!

I think the forums will grow to as big as 2000-4000 members one day but then there is the bandwidth problem [;)], but im sure members will be worthy enough to donate [;)].

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

< turns pockets inside out > [:(]

i think we should ask bullet21 - i read somwhere he resembles an atm of sorts [:P]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 11/03/04 - 4:07 AM Permalink

I think there less than 2,000-4000 people in the industry + people who want to get in the industry at the moment [:)]. I don't mind the relatively low numbers of visitors here. We don't depend on banner ads or anything, so it doesn't matter if there is a huge increase in visitors. We're not a general gamewebsite regurgitating the same game news as everyone else, so we don't attract the larger numbers of gamers out there. Sumea is catering for a niche of a niche group of people.

Massive volumes of visitors isn't needed, but I do prefer the quality of people here. That's why I appreciate the industry people posting their comments and advice, such as J.I Styles, Malus, Red 5, Pantmonger, Smeg, Doord etc and Zaph, Gaffer, SpaceCaptainSteve etc when they pop in [:)]. There's plenty of other industry people lurking as well. (I also appreciate a lot of you too, of course. Aven and his extremely helpful Maya advice, the moderators, everyone [:)]).

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 5:01 AM Permalink

here ! here!, i have to agree with that - id rather see a small community of local talent, rather than a churning mass of people / posts that only get one reply, like so many other forum sites.

And yeah the industry guys helping us noobs out is sweeeeeeeeet !! [:)] cheers guru's.

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 11/03/04 - 6:03 AM Permalink

Now you all made me look like the fool [:p].

/me requests he gets a custom ranking under his member name positively saying 'The village idiot'.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 11/03/04 - 7:27 PM Permalink

yeah i agree about the small community thing to. When you put a post somewhere like cgtalk, you get about 0-2 posts cos so many other peoples post push it down. Here you get a lot o useful info. That's Y this is pretty mush the only forum i use.

Submitted by matias on Mon, 15/03/04 - 11:28 PM Permalink

haha, a friend at Uni told me about it then just before I signed up my mum told me to get onto it, I never questioned how she found out but now I am confused... Ahem, ok so I might of had a sheltered childhood, but I have left home and now am...oh... living with my sister, crap! oh well at least I'm in a different city now! hhah

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 16/03/04 - 7:32 PM Permalink

Man, Souri. You can thank every single person on here by name, but the fact is, we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you :) Thanks. This place is more fun to hang out at than a strip club :D

Submitted by matias on Tue, 16/03/04 - 8:27 PM Permalink

Yeah, this place is good Souri man, I'm learning a lot about games development and it's good just to hear whats kinda happening, I mean I wouldn't have any idea whats going on! So cheers man, good site!!
But I'll sit on the fence on that strip club comment haha

Posted by bullet21 on
Forum

Just curious and there have been a lot of noobie's lately ;), so where'd you find out about sumea?

I heard about it on Conrtol Freak's. They said something like it was vital for any wannabe game developer. Soon as Control Freaks finished i came on to sumea and now i'm addicted :).

Hence my permanent Sumean Presence

Submitted by Aven on Fri, 27/02/04 - 8:18 AM Permalink

I heard about it ages ago from Sorcerer Bob. I didn't want to join at that stage though, as I really didn't have much work that I wanted to show. When the High Poly comp appeared, so did I :) Pity I didn't get to finish it though :(

Submitted by inglis on Fri, 27/02/04 - 8:20 AM Permalink

ahh quite sometime back. sumea came up on google when i was searching for jobs in australia.

Submitted by Barry Dahlberg on Fri, 27/02/04 - 8:36 AM Permalink

Good old google a while back, I was specificly looking for a list of Australia and New Zealand game developers and ended up at Sumea's linkstation, perfect!

Submitted by Blitz on Fri, 27/02/04 - 10:03 AM Permalink

I found out about sumea when Souri posted something about it on the Citizen Zero forums :)
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by JonathanKerr on Fri, 27/02/04 - 11:19 AM Permalink

I think I heard about it through Bigkid.com.au -- I think they had a link to an article here.

Submitted by Kane on Fri, 27/02/04 - 7:39 PM Permalink

through a Google search...i think its was the first website that popped up for 'Australian Game Development'...[:D]

Submitted by jwalduck on Fri, 27/02/04 - 8:50 PM Permalink

I learned of Sumea through Pantmonger who I know in real out in the real world.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Fri, 27/02/04 - 10:38 PM Permalink

i heard about it from "ironikart" who frequented a forum i used to aswell, he pops up occasionaly to amaze people in comps ;)

Submitted by Daemin on Sat, 28/02/04 - 12:37 AM Permalink

Blitz told me about it...

Submitted by Wizenedoldman on Sat, 28/02/04 - 1:19 AM Permalink

Through the DLF mailout ([url]http://www.dlf.org.au[/url]), that was some time back, but only recently have I immersed myself in the site. Anyone else around here subscribe to the DLF? It's a fantastic resource, recommend it to everyone here.

Submitted by redwyre on Sat, 28/02/04 - 3:14 AM Permalink

I think pragma told me about it...

Submitted by Makk on Sat, 28/02/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

I rememer someone (Souri?) posted a topic about it on Polycount. I Didnt join the forums then.
I cant remember why I came back (months after) and joined the forums... just did

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sat, 28/02/04 - 4:11 AM Permalink

Yeah I remember the post on polycount, thats why I joined, that was ages ago

Submitted by tachyon on Sat, 28/02/04 - 10:52 AM Permalink

'twas googling along and stumbled across it

Submitted by souri on Sat, 28/02/04 - 3:00 PM Permalink

I posted that I was seeking fellow local game artists about a developer related site on Polycount's forum about a year and a half ago. Everyone was like "where is it? I wanna see it!". If you search the forum for "Sumea", you might find it there still.

I posted a similar message on the Urban Terror and Quake forum, and that was all I could be buggered doing. [:)] So all our new visitors come mostly from google searches and word-of-mouth. Sometimes lecturers tell their students about it, some of from weblinks from Multimedia Victoria's webpage, the GDAA website, the ABC website etc and then there are special cases like that Control Freaks episode. Sumea was probably one of the first websites to post about that show (before it aired its first slot from its first season), and I kept on posting about what was coming up in the next showing etc, so we gave them some decent coverage. If you look through the forum memberlist, someone from that program (a producer I think) registered here, but they didn't post a message.. bah! [:)]

Anyway, it's interesting to see how you all managed to find this place. I remember when I first put the forum up and started seeing some regular visitors. I was like "holy crap, people are actually coming back!" [;)]

Submitted by palantir on Sun, 29/02/04 - 2:54 AM Permalink

I stumbled across Sumea in a google search for info about qantm. I started reading through the forum and checking out the members art on the main page, and quickly became addicted.

It?s interesting that it?s growing quickly ? I wonder how big it will get??

Submitted by Djenx on Sun, 29/02/04 - 11:54 AM Permalink

I managed to some how stumble across the site in a google search, couldn't believe that There was an actually an Australian forum on the game industry and digital art.......so glad its here [:D]

Submitted by smeg on Sun, 29/02/04 - 12:46 PM Permalink

pants made me do it. (or was it malus)
I any case, they are both Sumea missionaries (read fanboys).

cheers

Submitted by bullet21 on Sat, 28/02/04 - 10:38 PM Permalink

It seems lots of people found it in google. and djenx i was amazed to i really didn't even know there were aussy developers. I had plans of going to the U.S :)

Submitted by Kane on Wed, 10/03/04 - 11:40 PM Permalink

i just wanna do what Djenx did and point out that this site is absolutely awesome...

i too was amazed when I found it, because I had almost given up hope of finding an Australian Game Development site...

THANK YOU SUMEA!

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 11/03/04 - 3:14 AM Permalink

But is it enough? We need to get the word out and now! The future is Sumea [:)]!

I think the forums will grow to as big as 2000-4000 members one day but then there is the bandwidth problem [;)], but im sure members will be worthy enough to donate [;)].

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 3:47 AM Permalink

< turns pockets inside out > [:(]

i think we should ask bullet21 - i read somwhere he resembles an atm of sorts [:P]

Submitted by souri on Thu, 11/03/04 - 4:07 AM Permalink

I think there less than 2,000-4000 people in the industry + people who want to get in the industry at the moment [:)]. I don't mind the relatively low numbers of visitors here. We don't depend on banner ads or anything, so it doesn't matter if there is a huge increase in visitors. We're not a general gamewebsite regurgitating the same game news as everyone else, so we don't attract the larger numbers of gamers out there. Sumea is catering for a niche of a niche group of people.

Massive volumes of visitors isn't needed, but I do prefer the quality of people here. That's why I appreciate the industry people posting their comments and advice, such as J.I Styles, Malus, Red 5, Pantmonger, Smeg, Doord etc and Zaph, Gaffer, SpaceCaptainSteve etc when they pop in [:)]. There's plenty of other industry people lurking as well. (I also appreciate a lot of you too, of course. Aven and his extremely helpful Maya advice, the moderators, everyone [:)]).

Submitted by Kalescent on Thu, 11/03/04 - 5:01 AM Permalink

here ! here!, i have to agree with that - id rather see a small community of local talent, rather than a churning mass of people / posts that only get one reply, like so many other forum sites.

And yeah the industry guys helping us noobs out is sweeeeeeeeet !! [:)] cheers guru's.

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 11/03/04 - 6:03 AM Permalink

Now you all made me look like the fool [:p].

/me requests he gets a custom ranking under his member name positively saying 'The village idiot'.

Submitted by bullet21 on Thu, 11/03/04 - 7:27 PM Permalink

yeah i agree about the small community thing to. When you put a post somewhere like cgtalk, you get about 0-2 posts cos so many other peoples post push it down. Here you get a lot o useful info. That's Y this is pretty mush the only forum i use.

Submitted by matias on Mon, 15/03/04 - 11:28 PM Permalink

haha, a friend at Uni told me about it then just before I signed up my mum told me to get onto it, I never questioned how she found out but now I am confused... Ahem, ok so I might of had a sheltered childhood, but I have left home and now am...oh... living with my sister, crap! oh well at least I'm in a different city now! hhah

Submitted by Aven on Tue, 16/03/04 - 7:32 PM Permalink

Man, Souri. You can thank every single person on here by name, but the fact is, we wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you :) Thanks. This place is more fun to hang out at than a strip club :D

Submitted by matias on Tue, 16/03/04 - 8:27 PM Permalink

Yeah, this place is good Souri man, I'm learning a lot about games development and it's good just to hear whats kinda happening, I mean I wouldn't have any idea whats going on! So cheers man, good site!!
But I'll sit on the fence on that strip club comment haha