Skip to main content

First-Person Strategy project

Submitted by fiasco on
Forum

Just putting out the word out about a new mod project based here in Bribane. We are now in the process of developing an ambitious First-Person Strategy mod for the Half-Life 2 engine.

Firstly, this is an Amateur project

Secondly, the vast majority of mod projects never see the light of day, most of those which make it to a first release are either unplayable or barely played, and only a few of those projects reach their initial goal. Another obvious fact: no one likes to work in vain, so everyone's is afraid of failure (and waste of time). That's why it is required that anyone taking part in this project does it according to one's conscience but above all to the team's schedule.

k, ..

We hope to facilitate Natural Selection style action on a massive scale with large outdoor environments. The setting is the ol' Colonial Marines duke'n it out with Mercenary soldiers on the outer rims.

features..

- Tactical Gameplay: draws elements from the RTS genre. The skillful deployment of military hardware and the resource management is critical too any successful campaign.

- Players are able to construct a number of utility or defencive structures as well as pilot the usual array of vehicles.

- Players role to fit the situation: capture territory, fortify a base against attack, support offensive or defensive maneuvers.

- Accessible: fast, mouse-driven interface: no keys beyond WAD and basic functions needed. GUI and HUD do not clutter or disorientate new players. Innovative Tab function lets players carry out menu and game functions without leaving the action.

- Adv hit detection and partical effects. When a projective hits the recievers hitbox, the corrisponding bone (animation) should be pushed in code to show that he has taken a hit. Bigger weapons may cause a bigger 'push' of the bone.

in dev so far..

- design doc: 80%
- live "ragdoll" player animations (a hybrid Havoc function) 40%
- dynamic 3D skyboxes (soft and key lighting from the stars) 10%
- scripts for automated dropship delivery sequences (vehicles and squad) 10%
- particle engine for low-g enviroment 30%
- "build function" (in effect replicating NS code for HL2) 30%

If you?re an experienced or up and coming programmer, level designer, FX or 3D artist then we genuinely recommend that you get in contact with us or post below.

- currently in dire need of programmers to replace a former team member. [xx(]

- still havent found the right concept artist [?]

ta.

fiasco
eric_mailhe@ekno.com

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 1:21 AM Permalink

good luck in your endeavour man :) hope you find the people your looking for and everything works out for you [:)]

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 29/03/04 - 3:56 AM Permalink

I could be your concept artist but im only 15. Im almost 16 in a few months but im not sure if i would be of much help... my scanner isnt exactly great but it gets the job done. I really need to scan some of work in for my profile [;)].

If you are interested feel free to email me by using the little email icon above this post. (Sorry im having trouble keeping spam to a minimum!).

NOTE: My work would have to be submitted via email as i am not in your area.

Submitted by fiasco on Mon, 29/03/04 - 5:31 AM Permalink

mate, age is nothing [wouldn't believe what i got up to at 16 -- amazing what you can do with enough styrofoam]. so long as your dedicated, have your head on strait, and of course any good; you've got damn fine chance.

Submitted by fiasco on Mon, 29/03/04 - 6:11 AM Permalink

*gives haz the seekrut hand shake[;)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 6:24 AM Permalink

LOLOLO mee too - oh many snails and all manner or small insect like things suffered at the expense of my youth. those poor poor creatures...

anyways... sorry to get off topic here... but the insects deserved a mention... i will go as far as to offer a moment of silence in rememberance for them, they gave there lives to further my devious crafts.. .......... .......... ...... ok thats all they get from me.

Submitted by fiasco on Mon, 29/03/04 - 6:53 AM Permalink

nah we'd make so much of the stuff - we'd light up the local quarry for parties or more often than not just for the sake of lighting up a big ol' quarry.

anyhoo.. i still need some exp'd code monkeys and 3D artists..

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 29/03/04 - 7:03 AM Permalink

I would like to take this time to say that by inhaling the fumes from burning styrofoam or plastic you lose a lot of sperm [:p].

I've never gotten around too trying petrol putty bombs etc... as the kids at school call it. I think i'll stick to good old firecrackers more then anything. Damn i love the shot ones when they have like eight shots [:p].

As for the mod im sure i would be able to cough up hosting from somewhere like Planethalflife.com besides the fact its plaqued by advertisements for GameSpy [;)].

Submitted by fiasco on Mon, 29/03/04 - 7:20 AM Permalink

eazy tigah..

this is a VERY ambitious mod, it will be quite some time until we need public hosting of any sort. we aren't like other hl2 mods that have jumped the gate -- were quietly sitting down playing with the code (sif you don't have the SDK either :P ) and models. when we have an alpha that's fairly flawless we'll start pimping.

for now we need progs and artists..

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 29/03/04 - 7:46 AM Permalink

Sorry! Just me jumping ahead of things [;)]. Usually happens when i get excited.

I'll be your artist [:)]. Just wondering, this is purely going to be a single player mod right? As game developers have recently being saying they are sick of Multi-player mods and rarely any single player ones, if you want experience in the games industry do a single player mod according to them [:p].

PS: Check your email fiasco [:p], just some example work that is kind of old.

Submitted by rezn0r on Mon, 29/03/04 - 7:15 PM Permalink

quote:I would like to take this time to say that by inhaling the fumes from burning styrofoam or plastic you lose a lot of sperm

It can't be that exciting.

Scott.

Submitted by tbag on Tue, 30/03/04 - 1:26 AM Permalink

To some people it is [;)].

/me still awaits his approval of his example image sent too fiasco [:)].

I got dibs on Lead Artist, that way if i get into the industry i can say i was the lead artist on a mod.

PS: Can i get a copy of the design document to read over please?

Submitted by souri on Tue, 30/03/04 - 1:54 PM Permalink

Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us updated! The mod scene in Australia/NZ is by no means that large, but it would be cool to have a list of projects/mods happening locally, very much like the developer/independant developers list on Sumea..

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 31/03/04 - 1:55 AM Permalink

tbag: "I got dibs on Lead Artist, that way if i get into the industry i can say i was the lead artist on a mod."

erm whilst a obvious motive its probably not the best reason to get involved in a mod/indy project. You have to have commitment and desire and such, if your doing it simply so you can say you were a part of one, that dosent seem very respectfull to the people who set up the mod/indy project. But thats just my view.

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 31/03/04 - 2:55 AM Permalink

[:p] Its just me being stupid, i dont really care what role i am. It would just be an interesting, fun (Hopefully!) experience [;)].

Submitted by fiasco on Wed, 31/03/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

er.. t [can i call ya t? [^] ] we already have a fine lead artist.

now what's all this dev business mate? this is an amateur project, that means that above all its a work of luv. not too say we haven't assessed certain possibilities and made the project flexible enough to deal with them; we all have pipe dreams -- the best way to achieve your dream is to wake up and get crackin'.

Souri - we'll do, dev journals are always fun ([xx(])

Moon - you should mail me.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 31/03/04 - 5:50 AM Permalink

email sent from a hotmail address with topic line "concerning FPS project"

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 31/03/04 - 5:51 AM Permalink

T is fine [:p].

No my role is taken! Nah, im fine! [:p]

I think i could keep a private developer log thing easily if that helps [:p].

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 31/03/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

Is this a single player or multi player mod? I'm looking for a singleplayer project at the moment, not too keen on multiplayer.

Submitted by fiasco on Thu, 01/04/04 - 12:18 AM Permalink

for the sake of getting something out there within reasonable time we are looking at multiplayer first (it aint any fun looking at code and a bad alpha for 19 months [|)]).

HOWEVER! each aspect -- from fiction to in game functions has been prudently balanced and revised to enable a clean conversion to single player should the team decide to commit or should we receive the kind of offer you cant refuse.

To put it bluntly, for now this is a multiplayer project -- one whos key concept is "suspense of disbelief". Should we get some support or backing, we will definatly persue a singleplayer version.

[soz 'bout being long winded, still in work mode]

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 01/04/04 - 1:50 AM Permalink

Im going to be away on holidays (Of course) so if i can get a copy of the design document that would be great. Then i can read over it and learn from it etc... on holidays [:p].

NOTE: I dont think i will have internet access on holidays so we will have to rely on trust, or these forums [;)].

Submitted by fiasco on Thu, 01/04/04 - 1:56 AM Permalink

er.. no

check your mail t. then get back to me.

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 01/04/04 - 2:01 AM Permalink

Im checking!

PS: Do you have MSN or ICQ?

Submitted by fiasco on Thu, 01/04/04 - 9:33 PM Permalink

take it easy t youll do yourself an injury.

your not on the team yet, and snapping at my heels isnt helping. now Limm or i gave you some work to do, we'll see whats happens from there.

Submitted by Morphine on Thu, 01/04/04 - 10:51 PM Permalink

Nice post inglis [:p]

tbad, it sounds to me like you'd do anything. That's not good, because employers will then offer you the lowest-paid $hitkicker job they can and you'd jump on the change ASAP.

Tone down the responses. It's good to have energy but that's over-doing it alittle. [8D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 02/04/04 - 12:37 AM Permalink

LOL.... thats classic inglis....

be sure to keep us all updated with yor project morphine :D

Submitted by Morphine on Fri, 02/04/04 - 12:55 AM Permalink

Which project? Edge of Valor?

I haven't started work on anything yet. Still speaking to urgrund about it, showing my work to him and stuff.

Apart from that, that's really all the projects for me. Still working on my CS map though :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 02/04/04 - 1:01 AM Permalink

oh whoops... :( sorry man im not with it... in fact,.. i think its cos i ate some of those ritalin'o's up the page there... inglis managed to impulse me into buying some...

Submitted by fiasco on Fri, 02/04/04 - 11:07 PM Permalink

F'ROLF

"I EAT THEM WITH BANANAS!"

bahahahahahaahahihihihehehe..eh..ah..ooh...pffftHAHAHAHAHEHEHIHAHAHIHE..and so forth.

s'ok t, stay cool and keep on goin'

Posted by fiasco on
Forum

Just putting out the word out about a new mod project based here in Bribane. We are now in the process of developing an ambitious First-Person Strategy mod for the Half-Life 2 engine.

Firstly, this is an Amateur project

Secondly, the vast majority of mod projects never see the light of day, most of those which make it to a first release are either unplayable or barely played, and only a few of those projects reach their initial goal. Another obvious fact: no one likes to work in vain, so everyone's is afraid of failure (and waste of time). That's why it is required that anyone taking part in this project does it according to one's conscience but above all to the team's schedule.

k, ..

We hope to facilitate Natural Selection style action on a massive scale with large outdoor environments. The setting is the ol' Colonial Marines duke'n it out with Mercenary soldiers on the outer rims.

features..

- Tactical Gameplay: draws elements from the RTS genre. The skillful deployment of military hardware and the resource management is critical too any successful campaign.

- Players are able to construct a number of utility or defencive structures as well as pilot the usual array of vehicles.

- Players role to fit the situation: capture territory, fortify a base against attack, support offensive or defensive maneuvers.

- Accessible: fast, mouse-driven interface: no keys beyond WAD and basic functions needed. GUI and HUD do not clutter or disorientate new players. Innovative Tab function lets players carry out menu and game functions without leaving the action.

- Adv hit detection and partical effects. When a projective hits the recievers hitbox, the corrisponding bone (animation) should be pushed in code to show that he has taken a hit. Bigger weapons may cause a bigger 'push' of the bone.

in dev so far..

- design doc: 80%
- live "ragdoll" player animations (a hybrid Havoc function) 40%
- dynamic 3D skyboxes (soft and key lighting from the stars) 10%
- scripts for automated dropship delivery sequences (vehicles and squad) 10%
- particle engine for low-g enviroment 30%
- "build function" (in effect replicating NS code for HL2) 30%

If you?re an experienced or up and coming programmer, level designer, FX or 3D artist then we genuinely recommend that you get in contact with us or post below.

- currently in dire need of programmers to replace a former team member. [xx(]

- still havent found the right concept artist [?]

ta.

fiasco
eric_mailhe@ekno.com

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 1:21 AM Permalink

good luck in your endeavour man :) hope you find the people your looking for and everything works out for you [:)]

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 29/03/04 - 3:56 AM Permalink

I could be your concept artist but im only 15. Im almost 16 in a few months but im not sure if i would be of much help... my scanner isnt exactly great but it gets the job done. I really need to scan some of work in for my profile [;)].

If you are interested feel free to email me by using the little email icon above this post. (Sorry im having trouble keeping spam to a minimum!).

NOTE: My work would have to be submitted via email as i am not in your area.

Submitted by fiasco on Mon, 29/03/04 - 5:31 AM Permalink

mate, age is nothing [wouldn't believe what i got up to at 16 -- amazing what you can do with enough styrofoam]. so long as your dedicated, have your head on strait, and of course any good; you've got damn fine chance.

Submitted by fiasco on Mon, 29/03/04 - 6:11 AM Permalink

*gives haz the seekrut hand shake[;)]

Submitted by Kalescent on Mon, 29/03/04 - 6:24 AM Permalink

LOLOLO mee too - oh many snails and all manner or small insect like things suffered at the expense of my youth. those poor poor creatures...

anyways... sorry to get off topic here... but the insects deserved a mention... i will go as far as to offer a moment of silence in rememberance for them, they gave there lives to further my devious crafts.. .......... .......... ...... ok thats all they get from me.

Submitted by fiasco on Mon, 29/03/04 - 6:53 AM Permalink

nah we'd make so much of the stuff - we'd light up the local quarry for parties or more often than not just for the sake of lighting up a big ol' quarry.

anyhoo.. i still need some exp'd code monkeys and 3D artists..

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 29/03/04 - 7:03 AM Permalink

I would like to take this time to say that by inhaling the fumes from burning styrofoam or plastic you lose a lot of sperm [:p].

I've never gotten around too trying petrol putty bombs etc... as the kids at school call it. I think i'll stick to good old firecrackers more then anything. Damn i love the shot ones when they have like eight shots [:p].

As for the mod im sure i would be able to cough up hosting from somewhere like Planethalflife.com besides the fact its plaqued by advertisements for GameSpy [;)].

Submitted by fiasco on Mon, 29/03/04 - 7:20 AM Permalink

eazy tigah..

this is a VERY ambitious mod, it will be quite some time until we need public hosting of any sort. we aren't like other hl2 mods that have jumped the gate -- were quietly sitting down playing with the code (sif you don't have the SDK either :P ) and models. when we have an alpha that's fairly flawless we'll start pimping.

for now we need progs and artists..

Submitted by tbag on Mon, 29/03/04 - 7:46 AM Permalink

Sorry! Just me jumping ahead of things [;)]. Usually happens when i get excited.

I'll be your artist [:)]. Just wondering, this is purely going to be a single player mod right? As game developers have recently being saying they are sick of Multi-player mods and rarely any single player ones, if you want experience in the games industry do a single player mod according to them [:p].

PS: Check your email fiasco [:p], just some example work that is kind of old.

Submitted by rezn0r on Mon, 29/03/04 - 7:15 PM Permalink

quote:I would like to take this time to say that by inhaling the fumes from burning styrofoam or plastic you lose a lot of sperm

It can't be that exciting.

Scott.

Submitted by tbag on Tue, 30/03/04 - 1:26 AM Permalink

To some people it is [;)].

/me still awaits his approval of his example image sent too fiasco [:)].

I got dibs on Lead Artist, that way if i get into the industry i can say i was the lead artist on a mod.

PS: Can i get a copy of the design document to read over please?

Submitted by souri on Tue, 30/03/04 - 1:54 PM Permalink

Sounds like an interesting project. Keep us updated! The mod scene in Australia/NZ is by no means that large, but it would be cool to have a list of projects/mods happening locally, very much like the developer/independant developers list on Sumea..

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 31/03/04 - 1:55 AM Permalink

tbag: "I got dibs on Lead Artist, that way if i get into the industry i can say i was the lead artist on a mod."

erm whilst a obvious motive its probably not the best reason to get involved in a mod/indy project. You have to have commitment and desire and such, if your doing it simply so you can say you were a part of one, that dosent seem very respectfull to the people who set up the mod/indy project. But thats just my view.

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 31/03/04 - 2:55 AM Permalink

[:p] Its just me being stupid, i dont really care what role i am. It would just be an interesting, fun (Hopefully!) experience [;)].

Submitted by fiasco on Wed, 31/03/04 - 5:29 AM Permalink

er.. t [can i call ya t? [^] ] we already have a fine lead artist.

now what's all this dev business mate? this is an amateur project, that means that above all its a work of luv. not too say we haven't assessed certain possibilities and made the project flexible enough to deal with them; we all have pipe dreams -- the best way to achieve your dream is to wake up and get crackin'.

Souri - we'll do, dev journals are always fun ([xx(])

Moon - you should mail me.

Submitted by MoonUnit on Wed, 31/03/04 - 5:50 AM Permalink

email sent from a hotmail address with topic line "concerning FPS project"

Submitted by tbag on Wed, 31/03/04 - 5:51 AM Permalink

T is fine [:p].

No my role is taken! Nah, im fine! [:p]

I think i could keep a private developer log thing easily if that helps [:p].

Submitted by Major Clod on Wed, 31/03/04 - 10:28 PM Permalink

Is this a single player or multi player mod? I'm looking for a singleplayer project at the moment, not too keen on multiplayer.

Submitted by fiasco on Thu, 01/04/04 - 12:18 AM Permalink

for the sake of getting something out there within reasonable time we are looking at multiplayer first (it aint any fun looking at code and a bad alpha for 19 months [|)]).

HOWEVER! each aspect -- from fiction to in game functions has been prudently balanced and revised to enable a clean conversion to single player should the team decide to commit or should we receive the kind of offer you cant refuse.

To put it bluntly, for now this is a multiplayer project -- one whos key concept is "suspense of disbelief". Should we get some support or backing, we will definatly persue a singleplayer version.

[soz 'bout being long winded, still in work mode]

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 01/04/04 - 1:50 AM Permalink

Im going to be away on holidays (Of course) so if i can get a copy of the design document that would be great. Then i can read over it and learn from it etc... on holidays [:p].

NOTE: I dont think i will have internet access on holidays so we will have to rely on trust, or these forums [;)].

Submitted by fiasco on Thu, 01/04/04 - 1:56 AM Permalink

er.. no

check your mail t. then get back to me.

Submitted by tbag on Thu, 01/04/04 - 2:01 AM Permalink

Im checking!

PS: Do you have MSN or ICQ?

Submitted by fiasco on Thu, 01/04/04 - 9:33 PM Permalink

take it easy t youll do yourself an injury.

your not on the team yet, and snapping at my heels isnt helping. now Limm or i gave you some work to do, we'll see whats happens from there.

Submitted by Morphine on Thu, 01/04/04 - 10:51 PM Permalink

Nice post inglis [:p]

tbad, it sounds to me like you'd do anything. That's not good, because employers will then offer you the lowest-paid $hitkicker job they can and you'd jump on the change ASAP.

Tone down the responses. It's good to have energy but that's over-doing it alittle. [8D]

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 02/04/04 - 12:37 AM Permalink

LOL.... thats classic inglis....

be sure to keep us all updated with yor project morphine :D

Submitted by Morphine on Fri, 02/04/04 - 12:55 AM Permalink

Which project? Edge of Valor?

I haven't started work on anything yet. Still speaking to urgrund about it, showing my work to him and stuff.

Apart from that, that's really all the projects for me. Still working on my CS map though :)

Submitted by Kalescent on Fri, 02/04/04 - 1:01 AM Permalink

oh whoops... :( sorry man im not with it... in fact,.. i think its cos i ate some of those ritalin'o's up the page there... inglis managed to impulse me into buying some...

Submitted by fiasco on Fri, 02/04/04 - 11:07 PM Permalink

F'ROLF

"I EAT THEM WITH BANANAS!"

bahahahahahaahahihihihehehe..eh..ah..ooh...pffftHAHAHAHAHEHEHIHAHAHIHE..and so forth.

s'ok t, stay cool and keep on goin'