Skip to main content

Touchscreen controller for Nintendo Revolution

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

Here's a magazine scan from Gameinformer that reveals some details on the next Nintendo Revolution. Gone is the control pad, they're doing what they did with the DS and making the controller/input device a touchscreen [:0]

Also, read the text on the right about next-gen interfaces and where Eye-toy could be heading. Cameras that detect depth of field, and doing some wacky stuff like in Minority Report. Sounds cool [:D]

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 30/03/05 - 4:51 AM Permalink

very interesting read. i wonder how much of it is fact though, like the "Xbox 360" and other information tht i havnt seen or heared anywhere else on the net. and i should think that if it became know that the revolution will use a touchscreen it would be all over web gaming sites.

still, it seems likly, and i know i have suspected a touch screen for some time now based of what i've read elsewhere and comments by nintendo.

i both like the sound of a touchscreen and worry about it. some great gameplay inovations could come out of it (i have one idea in particular which i'd love to do, but of course can't), but it might not be recieved by the masses very well, and i'm thinking we will see even less cross platform ports to it that the GC.

Submitted by Leviron on Thu, 31/03/05 - 7:32 AM Permalink

Well.... it'll be easier to clean.

Submitted by Tall Nick on Fri, 01/04/05 - 6:25 AM Permalink

we had this topic at work the other day, it was all interesting until one of the programmers pointed out that a touch screen only detects one point at any given time.
The only way to replace the buttons is to have mutable touch screens.... oh wait that?s what buttons are!
As this info is coming from third hand sources I'd like to know if someone misinterpreted that the revolution can use the DS as a controller (like the GBA-GC link)?

Submitted by mcdrewski on Fri, 01/04/05 - 8:53 PM Permalink

most current touchscreens work that way on things like palmpilots etc, but that's not to say that multi-zone or multi-touch pads aren't feasible and practical even with current tech.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 29/04/05 - 1:53 AM Permalink

[url="http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/04/27/2137243.shtml?tid=234&tid=10"]Real-time 3D projection[/url] for Nintendo Revolution? [:0]

"At the core of the theory sits how Revolution will display games: through a form of real-time 3D projection. That's right folks, along the lines of a classic 50s monster movie. Nintendo itself has stated that what it plans to use on Revolution isn't all that unique, only that it has never been applied to videogames. Taking that into account, plus recent patents filed by Nintendo, and it doesn't sound all that far fetched, argues Burgess."

It sounds cool, you'll see the 3D by wearing special glasses, but I'm still waiting for virtual reality headsets to make a comeback. [:(!]

(ok, it seems this speculation has been debunked already, but the idea was pretty cool, I think)

Posted by souri on
Forum

Here's a magazine scan from Gameinformer that reveals some details on the next Nintendo Revolution. Gone is the control pad, they're doing what they did with the DS and making the controller/input device a touchscreen [:0]

Also, read the text on the right about next-gen interfaces and where Eye-toy could be heading. Cameras that detect depth of field, and doing some wacky stuff like in Minority Report. Sounds cool [:D]

Submitted by LiveWire on Wed, 30/03/05 - 4:51 AM Permalink

very interesting read. i wonder how much of it is fact though, like the "Xbox 360" and other information tht i havnt seen or heared anywhere else on the net. and i should think that if it became know that the revolution will use a touchscreen it would be all over web gaming sites.

still, it seems likly, and i know i have suspected a touch screen for some time now based of what i've read elsewhere and comments by nintendo.

i both like the sound of a touchscreen and worry about it. some great gameplay inovations could come out of it (i have one idea in particular which i'd love to do, but of course can't), but it might not be recieved by the masses very well, and i'm thinking we will see even less cross platform ports to it that the GC.

Submitted by Leviron on Thu, 31/03/05 - 7:32 AM Permalink

Well.... it'll be easier to clean.

Submitted by Tall Nick on Fri, 01/04/05 - 6:25 AM Permalink

we had this topic at work the other day, it was all interesting until one of the programmers pointed out that a touch screen only detects one point at any given time.
The only way to replace the buttons is to have mutable touch screens.... oh wait that?s what buttons are!
As this info is coming from third hand sources I'd like to know if someone misinterpreted that the revolution can use the DS as a controller (like the GBA-GC link)?

Submitted by mcdrewski on Fri, 01/04/05 - 8:53 PM Permalink

most current touchscreens work that way on things like palmpilots etc, but that's not to say that multi-zone or multi-touch pads aren't feasible and practical even with current tech.

Submitted by souri on Fri, 29/04/05 - 1:53 AM Permalink

[url="http://games.slashdot.org/games/05/04/27/2137243.shtml?tid=234&tid=10"]Real-time 3D projection[/url] for Nintendo Revolution? [:0]

"At the core of the theory sits how Revolution will display games: through a form of real-time 3D projection. That's right folks, along the lines of a classic 50s monster movie. Nintendo itself has stated that what it plans to use on Revolution isn't all that unique, only that it has never been applied to videogames. Taking that into account, plus recent patents filed by Nintendo, and it doesn't sound all that far fetched, argues Burgess."

It sounds cool, you'll see the 3D by wearing special glasses, but I'm still waiting for virtual reality headsets to make a comeback. [:(!]

(ok, it seems this speculation has been debunked already, but the idea was pretty cool, I think)