Chaos Theory is looking for an experienced Technical Artist to breathe life into to our broad range of games across mobile, PC and console. This is a mid-level or senior role suitable to candidates with existing industry experience.
The position will see you work directly with the Creative Lead and our small and talented art team to implement assets, animations, and effects into our games. You will be directly involved in creating bespoke games from concept through to publishing with a particular focus on games for change and serious games. Our art team is involved throughout the entire development process, and you will join our 3D environment artists, UI artists and the Creative Lead in shaping the creative direction for our games and ensuring that assets, effects, and animations are consistent with the project's quality and vision.
We are open to remote applications, but have a preference for applicants based in Sydney or willing to relocate.
Why Chaos Theory
- A role that works with your lifestyle: flexible working hours, a mix of work-from-office and work-from-home, optional 4 or 5-day schedules, a centrally-based office.
- No crunch, no overtime. We have never asked anyone to work on a weekend. You don’t need to justify if you want to take an afternoon off or come in late, so long as you are achieving your goals and supporting your team.
- Create games with impact; go beyond entertainment. We are working on projects to improve primary school education, improve the health of our oceans, educate the next generation of internet users, and more.
- Winner of Serious Game of The Year 2019 and 2021 at the Australian Game Developer Awards.
- Create games that players love! Our games have been downloaded over 70+ million times.
- Got a side project? Awesome! We encourage team members to pursue their personal interests, and don’t restrict anyone from working on their own game outside of work.
- Strong company community with regular (and optional) board / video game nights, games club (like book club, but games!), workshops and mentoring opportunities, company-supplied Friday lunches, and other social events.
- We’re invested in your personal growth. We offer 1-on-1 check-ins every fortnight, quarterly goal setting, monthly personal development days, and personal career roadmaps.
- A small team (~20 people) with many opportunities to shape the projects you work on and the team you work with. Everyone participates in changing our team's processes!
- We've achieved a carbon-neutral status by planting over 3,000 trees and using 100% renewable power. Our next goal is to offset the carbon emissions for everyone on our team, both at work and at home.
- We value and nurture an open and inclusive work environment. A diverse team is a resilient team and one that usually comes up with the best ideas!
- Implementation: jointly responsible for the implementation of assets. You may work closely with programmers and designers to ensure that 3D assets are set up appropriately with the correct components (e.g. animations, physics), materials, and effects.
- Effects and Shaders: creating visual effects involving particle systems and shaders.
- Optimisation and Profiling: ensuring that the assets for our games run as smooth as possible while looking as good as possible. May include optimising and improving shaders, effects, and lighting to achieve suitable frame rates and load times.
- Lights and Cameras: creating the desired look by manipulating lights and cameras. This includes setting up lights (including shadows and reflections), and cameras (e.g. framing, aperture, focal length), as well as configuring post-processing.
- 2+ years of industry experience.
- An in-depth understanding of the games art pipeline.
- An in-depth understanding of the Graphics Rendering Pipeline.
- Highly proficient with Maya and Unity.
- Experience working with Source Control (Git, Perforce, Mercurial).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A broad range of artistic tastes and experience.
- A commitment to working in a professional, inclusive, and supportive environment.
- The experience to understand why an idea will or won't work, and how to design around it.
- A passion for games across multiple genres and platforms.
- 3D game art asset production experience, including all stages of the 3D art production pipeline (modelling, sculpting, and texturing, rigging, and animation).
- Concept art experience, including creating sketches and high fidelity 2D art.
- Scripting experience (Unity / C# or Maya / Python) for creating artist-friendly tools.
You must have a portfolio with previous work to be considered. Please include samples of your work that we can play or watch.
We are striving to create an open and inclusive workplace culture, and encourage all eligible candidates to apply. We are an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability status.
At this time, we do not sponsor VISAs.
If you would like to apply for the role, please visit the link below