Skip to main content

Modeller or Modeler?

• In my first and previous post in this game dev log entry, I had written that I wanted to do a game which was a collection of simple retro games. Unity released a new major release (2019.3) while I was putting the initial project together, and I…

• Well, I'm making a game . I'm spending the next few weeks on making a small game to showcase the gamedev log feature on tsumea where any member can create a game entry and other members can post journal posts with art, music or just development…

• Just a test #2. Still working on the new section.

• So, I got a Commodore 64 when I was in the 4th grade. It came bundled with a Rolf Harris picture building program on casette tape which never loaded properly but from what I could tell by its box cover, you could build pictures from a selection…

• Yes, the site looks very different and I've had to prematurely switch to this new theme that I'm working on for a few reasons, the main one is that changing certain aspects of the site to fit the new theme will affect how the old one looks for…

• (this is just a test, please ignore this entry)

Here is some of my old work.. the first pic is of a 3d model of a human head I was working on about 2 years ago in 3dsmax, using nurbs. If I had to do it again, I wouldn't model a head with…

I currently work for

Submitted by souri on
Forum

I've always wondered which was the correct way of spelling it. I was a bit afraid of getting it spelt wrong on the site, especially since you see it everywhere from the icon nav, modeller section gfx etc.. Today I am able to relieve my fears somewhat when Google shows 480,000 hits with 'modeller' and only 350,000 hits with 'modeler'.

Thank you, that is all. [:o)]

Submitted by Brain on Sat, 07/12/02 - 1:23 AM Permalink

Well, Word spells it Modeller, but I remember applying for a position where it was spelt with one 'L' and then another double L.

I'd really like to see this resolved. I'm a stickler for good spelling, especially when attacking a potential employer.

Chris Bowden
http://brain.gamekey.com/

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 07/12/02 - 6:24 AM Permalink

Well, as far as my knowledge of english goes (i've only been speaking it ~20 years or so :) ) Modeler would be pronounced "Mod-el-ear" Modeller would be pronounced "Mod-el-er" if that helps. sorry my phoenetics are horrible, but hopefully you get the idea :) In other words, 2 l's is correct.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sun, 08/12/02 - 12:28 AM Permalink

Its spelt with a double L, I looked in my dictionary

Lead paint: delicious but deadly!

Submitted by Tex on Wed, 18/12/02 - 1:14 AM Permalink

thank you for resolving this, i thought i was the only one who didnt know the correct spelling [:I]

Submitted by Brain on Wed, 18/12/02 - 10:49 AM Permalink

Okay, just to add to the confusion (yeah, you THOUGHT it was over @;-) I just picked up Paul Steed's Character Modeling in 3DS MAX book. Yep, it's spelt with one L. Not only throughout the book but in it's title.

Perhaps an American spelling?

As an after thought, I just hit Dictionary.com which just may have solved it all:

Modeler

Mod"el*er, n. One who models; hence, a worker in plastic art. [Written also modeller.]

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, ? 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Modeler

n : a person who creates models [syn: modeller]

Chris Bowden

Submitted by quiklite on Tue, 24/12/02 - 1:14 PM Permalink

Modeler is Australian/UK English.

Modeller is American English.

Unfortunately, most people don't realise that it is spelt 'modeling', not 'modelling', so that's how you'll see it most of time, hence most people believe this is the way it is spelt. Hell, there have been plenty of times I've been confused and have opted for double l, but Australian English most definitely uses only one l.

Interesting first post, anyway. :)

--Paul

Posted by souri on
Forum

I've always wondered which was the correct way of spelling it. I was a bit afraid of getting it spelt wrong on the site, especially since you see it everywhere from the icon nav, modeller section gfx etc.. Today I am able to relieve my fears somewhat when Google shows 480,000 hits with 'modeller' and only 350,000 hits with 'modeler'.

Thank you, that is all. [:o)]

Submitted by Brain on Sat, 07/12/02 - 1:23 AM Permalink

Well, Word spells it Modeller, but I remember applying for a position where it was spelt with one 'L' and then another double L.

I'd really like to see this resolved. I'm a stickler for good spelling, especially when attacking a potential employer.

Chris Bowden

Submitted by Blitz on Sat, 07/12/02 - 6:24 AM Permalink

Well, as far as my knowledge of english goes (i've only been speaking it ~20 years or so :) ) Modeler would be pronounced "Mod-el-ear" Modeller would be pronounced "Mod-el-er" if that helps. sorry my phoenetics are horrible, but hopefully you get the idea :) In other words, 2 l's is correct.
CYer, Blitz

Submitted by Fluffy CatFood on Sun, 08/12/02 - 12:28 AM Permalink

Its spelt with a double L, I looked in my dictionary

Lead paint: delicious but deadly!

Submitted by Tex on Wed, 18/12/02 - 1:14 AM Permalink

thank you for resolving this, i thought i was the only one who didnt know the correct spelling [:I]

Submitted by Brain on Wed, 18/12/02 - 10:49 AM Permalink

Okay, just to add to the confusion (yeah, you THOUGHT it was over @;-) I just picked up Paul Steed's Character Modeling in 3DS MAX book. Yep, it's spelt with one L. Not only throughout the book but in it's title.

Perhaps an American spelling?

As an after thought, I just hit Dictionary.com which just may have solved it all:

Modeler

Mod"el*er, n. One who models; hence, a worker in plastic art. [Written also modeller.]

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, ? 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.

Modeler

n : a person who creates models [syn: modeller]

Chris Bowden

Submitted by quiklite on Tue, 24/12/02 - 1:14 PM Permalink

Modeler is Australian/UK English.

Modeller is American English.

Unfortunately, most people don't realise that it is spelt 'modeling', not 'modelling', so that's how you'll see it most of time, hence most people believe this is the way it is spelt. Hell, there have been plenty of times I've been confused and have opted for double l, but Australian English most definitely uses only one l.

Interesting first post, anyway. :)

--Paul